• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Switching to water, advice appreciated

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stryfe

After lusting after watercooling setups since I started reading overclockers.com in the library computer lab during my lunches in highschool, ohhh around 1998, I've finally decided I should give it a shot.

I've spent the last few days reading the stickies here and else where and looking up individual parts and what others who have my case have done. Now I need some advice on what I've figured out so far and possibly a point in the right direction to anything I've missed reading.

First, my system:
i7 2600k (currently at 4.6ghz)
Asus P8Z68-V Pro
8gb Patriot DDR3 1333
Radeon 5850 1gb
Corsair HX650
Corsair 600T

Now, here's what I've come up with so far.
Pump: Swiftech MCP35X
CPU Block: Swiftech Apogee XT Rev 2 or XSPC RASA
Reservoir/Top: XSPC Dual 5.25" (Dual Loop)
Radiator: XSPC RS240
Fittings: 6 x 3/8"ID - 1/2" OD Straight EK Perfect Seal Compression
Tube: Feser Tube 3/8" ID - 1/2" OD
Fans: I'd like to use PWM fans to go with the PWM capable pump. I'm totally open to suggestions for which particular fans to use.

I've based most of this off of this fellow's setup as he used the same case I have. He's created a dual loop system which is something I'd like to do eventually. For now I'm just going to stick with a single loop, cooling only the CPU, but future expandability is why I've picked the dual loop capable reservoir that he used.

I've departed from his build in a couple places. The first is the possibility of using the XSPC RASA cpu block in place of the Swiftech Apogee XT. When I looked up the Swiftech on DazMode's site they had a note on the page recommending the XSPC instead for having superior flow at a lower price. I'd like to hear opinions on that.

I'm also looking at using the Swiftech MCP35X in place of the MCP350 he used. I really like the idea of the PWM capable pump to keep things nearly silent when the PC is idle but having nice strong flow when it's working hard. I moved recently and there's no room for the machine in my livingroom so it's in my bedroom now. I'm used to leaving the machine running 24/7 but my air cooling setup is a little loud for sleeping (part of the reason I started looking in to this). As I quickly noted above, I'd like to use PWM fans in conjunction with the pump for the same reason.

For fittings I've listed all straight compression fittings so far. Looking at the pictures of that guys build though I think I might be better off with 3 or 4 of the 6 fittings being 45 degrees. What do you guys think?

All the sites/prices I've linked to are Canadian because that's where I live. I'm not against ordering across the border if there's a part(or parts) I would be better off with that isn't available here. It's just less of a hassle to deal within the country if possible.

I realize I'm by far not the first newbie to come in here asking for advice (in fact I've read a couple other newbie threads on the first page) so I greatly appreciate the time and effort you guys take to help me out. So, thanks in advance!

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=223391
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=261778

that's your fans taken care of right there :D

Have you found skinneelabs.com yet? Also, martinsliquidlab.com...only two places I trust for WC gear reviews. You may wanna see what availability is gonna be like on the raystorm. Check out the EK Supreme HF, I have one and love it, the koolance 370 is also a great option. Primochill is better tubing, easier to work with and what not. Also, you might wanna go 1/2"id 3/4"od on the tubing, IMO it just looks better and you get (nominally) better flow. Also, check out bitspower's offerings on fittings, their stuff is all GEORGEOUS. Question: Why a dual pump res and only one pump?

Also, just a note, that build you linked to is by MIAHALLEN, who actually calls OCF home, and was for jiccman1965, another OCF regular.

How much of the sticky have you read and understood? Before you even think about buying make sure you've read it all...you shouldn't really need a template for your build, you should know what you want and have definitive reasons why you want it rather than the competing products (there are always competing products in WC). Also, rads and fans go hand in hand, you can't pick your rad if you don't know your fans, and you can't pick your fans if you don't know your rad. That has to be a simultaneous decision or you won't have an optimal setup. Also, if silence is a focus, consider a fan controller, we like the Lamptrons and Sunbeams around here.

Not a bad setup, great start.

The 240RX is a much better rad. It's great with low speed fans. The RS on the other hand, has a very tight fin arrangement and needs more omh to push the air.

It won't matter at first, but when you constantly have to hear the fans, and that's a BIG reason for watercooling, you'll regret the RS.

Rest of your list is pretty solid. Mor covered LOTS of it.

I can't stress enough that you DO read our stickies 100%, not skimming at least once. And I'll toss my other list o' links too, stuff not directly from OCF. A well informed watercooler is a successful cooler. And we do MANY MANY helps for peeps just like you. And you will learn about raddage, and the many flavors of it.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6489396&postcount=3

Take your time, you'll love it, it's fun!

Back