• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do I do now? /rant

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DumpALump

I've got a great system that is pretty much all I could want. Been doing a little here and there over the past few months to have a system that I'm just not sure what left to do. I actually enjoy modding things more than actually using it. I'm sorta feeling down cause now its like all I ever need to do is just swap in and out an upgrade with no more work involved. It's a :happysad: moment.

/Few things I have done
I5 2500k @ 4.5ghz
P183 lined the insides with Melamine foam and some closed cell foam.
Dremeled fan grills and side of case for radiator and inside to improve airflow
Was able to fit both a MCR320 and XSPC RX120 in it
CPU temps never go above 50C
Push/pull on the MCR320
All fans Gentle Typhoons running around 1100rpm
Vent filters on all intakes so all I have to do is change them once every 3 months so there is no dust in my case.
Noise is a low hum that I really only notice if I go OCD about it.
Bought the DIYINHK pcb and soldered the parts on to install in my pump, but decided not to install it cause the noise increases.
2x 128gb C300 SSD raid0 for multiplayer games
2x 7200rpm 2tb drives for single player games and data storage
40gb SSD boot drive
6870 with accelero extreme plus cooler for lower noise
Additional 120mm fan blowing over the ram/mosfets/HDs
Passive HD Coolers
X-750 seasonic PSU for low noise and clean power
Tripplite Double Conversion UPS for clean power
Added an external battery to it so my computer can run something like 4 hours, 2 if I'm playing a game.
Added Furman Power Conditioner (more like higher end surge protector)
Shortened all the cabling/wires outside the case (Cat6, Power Cables, etc)
Changed my power cable to 14awg
Changed the outlet receptacle to a higher grade
Cut open the front audio connector and completely shielded the front panel audio wiring
Added a better ground for the front panel connector
Shortened the front panel USB and Motherboard header cables
Modded my X-FI with new opamps and all new capacitors - Actually made a emi shield but I just need to get some metal standoffs to attach it.
Alienware Keyboard + Mouse which I didn't really need, but it was on sale
Modded my headphones and modded my mic so that it could receive my voice clearly, but not hear clicking or anyone else in the room. Involved reshaping the mic with melted plastic and tweaking the holes with foam.
Added copper and aluminum heatsinks to just about everything including my sound card.
120hz monitor for better gaming
Heatsinks, better vent holes, and a 3A switching power supply for my cable modem. Thinking of switching out the capacitors.
Turned the WRT320N router into an E2000 with tomato firmware. Cut a hole in the top and mounted a 92mm fan ontop to keep it cool. Added 5dbi external antennas to it. Heatsinks of course. Thinking of swapping out the onboard capacitors. Using a better switching power brick that is rated 5A.
Wired the house with Cat6 and even changed out the RG6 to Belden wiring with PPC Compression connectors.

Already have a HTPC that I did a bunch of mods to.
/End

I've done more, but probably tl;dr. Don't really want to go extreme cooling because my goal was a mid tower case with everything internal, low noise, and fast/stable system. I've already modded my gf's computer, my dad's computer, and my mom's computer. Is there anything left I can do to my computer to make it even more efficient?

Ummm why are you seriously making this post without pictures. You have 1 day to get multiple pics!

You seem like you love to do modding. How about a big plan and make a case from scratch? That'll keep you occupied and probably satisfy you in the end.

+1 to snow, making your own case and seeing how small you can fit all that stuff in is pretty much the only way to go. Still, fitting all of that in a mid-tower, that's pretty impressive.

I would get on my knees and beg for pictures of this. :D

lol its nothing fancy, and actually sorta messy in there as I don't really care what it looks like inside. So pics would be unimpressive. Not like one of those million dollar PC type deals. I'm more of function over style and so I don't see myself doing a fancy PC.

I do love modding things. Its like if I can't mod something one way or another then I don't want to buy it. Been overclocking since Celeron 300A and used to do a bunch of ghetto mods and various changes to a system to try to overclock. Loved seeing other's ghetto mods and random bong coolers. Seems like nowadays overclocking and modding a computer is simplified to where people don't do as much ghetto modding.

So now I need to find something else to mod. Already did my consoles and car. I guess I should paint the house :D

Edit: Just remembered I was looking into possibly making some solar panels. They are actually very cheap if you make them yourself, but take time and are a little less efficient than premade ones. Was thinking if I could do a 200watt solar panel then I could turn off sleep and push my overclocks and basically no cost would be incurred. *rubs chin* :D

Last edited:
Back