• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DX10/11 Crashes with 11.10 Beta Drivers??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

seth.i.simmons

I finally finished rebuilding my computer after a mobo fail that took my CPU with it, and I picked up another 6870 for some Crossfire action. After getting everything back up and running, I installed the 11.10 B2 drivers, so that I could try some BF3. Well, after spending about 5hrs trying both different 11.10 drivers, and countless different settings, I can't get DX10/11 to work at all. Anything that uses either one crashes almost instantly, and makes my computer freeze (sorta, if I CTR+ALT+DEL I can kill whatever crashed, and the computer runs fine after that).

DX9 works great, and I can run Crysis 2 (pre-DX11/v1.9 patch) in Crossfire mode, at a constant 60fps no matter what (gotta love Crossfire!), but anything that uses DX10/11 crashes. I've tried Unigine Heaven Benchmark in DX9, DX10, and DX11 mode, and DX9 runs fine, but DX10/11 crashes almost instantly. I've also tried Civ 5 in DX10/11 mode, and it crashes almost instantly also. I really have no idea what to do, any ideas? Oh, and I've used Driver Sweeper between driver installs, so it should be a completely clean install.

Edit: Also forgot to mention that I'm running MSI Afterburner, and am going to try running without it.

Last edited:
I have the 11.10 preview 2 installed, it will crash with everything else except BF3 and Rage pretty much. I didn't notice any real improvement in either game. Rage is still using only 1 card, and its choppy when moving from 1 area to the next. I hope that I can find a way to increase the amount of game being held in ram. I think that will fix the choppy issue. BF3 I saw about 10-15 fps improvement overall. I still had the flicker when looking around once in a while, but this is the beta so I can accept that. I will be reverting back to the 11.9 stable until a proper 11.10 is released.

I have the 11.10 preview 2 installed, it will crash with everything else except BF3 and Rage pretty much. I didn't notice any real improvement in either game. Rage is still using only 1 card, and its choppy when moving from 1 area to the next. I hope that I can find a way to increase the amount of game being held in ram. I think that will fix the choppy issue. BF3 I saw about 10-15 fps improvement overall. I still had the flicker when looking around once in a while, but this is the beta so I can accept that. I will be reverting back to the 11.9 stable until a proper 11.10 is released.

No good with the 11.9 drivers either. Tried everything, including updating the new GPUs BIOS, and still nothing. Here's the error I get when I try to run a Heaven Benchmark in DX11:

ScreenHunter_01Oct101236.jpg

I just don't know what else to do. Any idea's?? I don't get why DX9 works perfectly, and DX10/11 crashes almost instantly.

Last edited:
Try running each card 1 at a time in DX11 benchmark and see if it still stops working.

After extensively trying out every combo I could think of, I've figured out that the new Asus 6870 is DOA. By itself DX11 won't work, and when I have both in, if I run the display through the HIS, and disable CFx, it runs fine, but right when I enable CFx, it fails again. Thanks for the help everyone, looks like it's time for an RMA.

Finally got the Asus 6870 back from RMA, and I still have the same issue :cry: Any ideas anyone? I can't get it to run anything in DX10/11, and atikmdap.sys crashes all the time. I don't know what else to do from here :shrug:

have an extra HDD to install an OS onto and see if you get crashes?

Nah, could I create a partition and do it that way? I need to get another HDD, but I just haven't gotten around to it. The really weird thing though, is that my HIS 6870 (reference) runs absolutely perfect, in the same PCIe slot, same power cables, exact same drivers, nothing changed, and it runs perfectly. That's what makes me think it's the Asus card.

Edit: FOund out that the latest ATI drivers used to fix Rage, also are crappy for anything else that uses OpenGL, which LGS happens to use. After rolling back to 11.9, my G15 is working perfect again, with no crashes. Oh, and i talked to Asus, and they're going to replace my 6870 this time, instead of "repair" it.

Last edited:
Back