• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Socket 775 CPU Cooler on Socket 1155?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

StYleY

Registered
Hi OC.com,

I have a 775 socket motherboard at the moment with a Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Cooler. I want to upgrade to a socket 1155 (ASUS P67 Sabertooth Rev 3.0 + Intel 2500k).

Is my current CPU cooler compatible and any good? Are there additional components available to make this compatible?

Thanks in advance,
StYleY

Some LGA1155 motherboards have 775 mounting holes, some do not. You can buy a LGA1156 mounting kit for the TRUE that will work with LGA1155, since they use the same mounting holes.

All you need to convert it to your 1155 board is a Thermalright Venomous BTK Bolt-Thru-Kit. Both Performance PCs and FrozenCPU are selling them for $13.99 plus shipping. I've bought from both vendors with no problems in the past, so go with the one that has the cheapest shipping to you.:) And yes, your old TRUE will kick butt and take names on that 1155 processor. :D

Thanks for the information guys, I ordered the Thermalright Venomous Bolt-Thru-Kit, should arrive tomorrow!

Well a year later and these bolt through kits are no where to be found. I have a couple of Thermalright ultra 120 heatsinks and they are now worthless if wanting to upgrade motherboards cause Thermalright isn't supplying any bolt through kits to anybody.

Well a year later and these bolt through kits are no where to be found. I have a couple of Thermalright ultra 120 heatsinks and they are now worthless if wanting to upgrade motherboards cause Thermalright isn't supplying any bolt through kits to anybody.
Thermalright list many mounting kits on their site/accessories/retention module, bolt-thru mounting kit, metal back plate
http://www.thermalright.com/products.html

and are available here
http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/accessories_page/product_accessories_btk.html

http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/retention-hardware.html

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/rmaccessories.html

http://forums.us.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=2494375

This part I'm referring to is not available on any of those links you posted (btw I had already checked those links and a lot more before posting the first time). The link to Thermalright shows it but doesn't sell it. This is what I was talking about. The parts (there are two of them that I know of that would work) are discontinued and apparently Thermalright isn't supplying them anymore to anybody. Only way anyone is going to get one now is to find one used from a private party or being lucky enough to find a supplier that had one buried in a back room of a shop somewhere. I even tried emailing Thermalright directly and begging them to help me out but they did not even reply.

Last edited:

This part I'm referring to is not available on any of those links you posted (btw I had already checked those links and a lot more before posting the first time). The link to Thermalright shows it but doesn't sell it. This is what I was talking about. The parts (there are two of them that I know of that would work) are discontinued and apparently Thermalright isn't supplying them anymore to anybody. Only way anyone is going to get one now is to find one used from a private party or being lucky enough to find a supplier that had one buried in a back room of a shop somewhere. I even tried emailing Thermalright directly and begging them to help me out but they did not even reply.
I have several mounts and an old Ultra myself. Exactly what part do you need? The Thermalright Venomous BTK Bolt-Thru-Kit? Maybe I can find one over here in UK.

Yep that's the one. The other option is the 1156 bolt through kit but I heard the Venemous X one is better.

Okay! :clap: It's dark-thirty here on New Year's Eve and I've had a few already so do me a favor. If you don't hear from me in a few days drop me a note. I should be sober and over my hangover by then. :thup:

I'm sure we can find you the needed mount. I'm guess HR-02, Silver Arrow, and some others use same mounts.. You need one or two?

Edit: and Happy New Year a few hours early!

Hiya doyll,

Random googling has lead me onto this thread. You don't happen to have a spare LGA1155/1156 ThermalRight Bolt-Thru Kit do you?

I'm in desperate need!

PS: Live in London and would happily pay the costs for one!

Thanks woboy. After putting in my location to estimate shipping, it looks like they don't ship to the UK.

Hiya doyll,

Random googling has lead me onto this thread. You don't happen to have a spare LGA1155/1156 ThermalRight Bolt-Thru Kit do you?

I'm in desperate need!

PS: Live in London and would happily pay the costs for one!

I'll have a dig but I doubt it. I had extras till I got my old Ultra 120 4 pipe.. and it needed new mounting kit.. and another guy needed one. Sorry.

I'm still looking for a source. Never know when or where I might find another old mount cooler and need newer mounts.

A backing plate would not be hard to make... or the front plate. Would need to tap 2 holes for crossbar screws. But finding the thumb-nut/spacer that sets on motherboard between top plate and bottom plate...

Back