• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD FX-8150 - Bulldozer - Processor Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How happy are you with AMD FX-8150 price/performance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Any chance we could/should add a poll to this thread to get the overall pulse of the results? LIke 1-10/1-5 or something...

Thanks for an excellent review. I'm pretty new around here and I really like the format. Very good read.

As for BD, I must say I'm a bit dissappointed, though expected the result. Looks like I'll stay with the blue team for now.

Side question, if the 8150 is supposed to compete against the 2500k, what is the 8120 there to compete against? It seems that it is within $5-$10 of the 2500k price making it more of a direct competitor.

To the poll, I voted it a 4. Definitely not super impressed, but they tried. Green star for effort?

Each module has 2 cores with an independent L1 correct?

First you have to define a core to say what a core is. A core contains a Fetch, Decode, Execution, Memory, and Write Back sections. BD shares the Fetch and Decode, but not the Execution (apart from FP), memory or write back. So in a sense the Module is a single core, with a very beefed up middle part.

First you have to define a core to say what a core is. A core contains a Fetch, Decode, Execution, Memory, and Write Back sections. BD shares the Fetch and Decode, but not the Execution (apart from FP), memory or write back. So in a sense the Module is a single core, with a very beefed up middle part.

Logical; it has been a long time since I studied CPU arch. But can it run 8 threads? If so what is the performance when it is pushed in a role where it could use everything it has?

The build up and launch of BD seemed so much more (long/frustrating?) compared to SB early this year. I'm glad that it is finally over! I thought early on that I would definitely be picking up a new combo at Micro Center on opening day but then the (early preview) and now that it is officially out I'm not feeling so compelled... still might though? :shrug:

Heh, havewn't gotten finished reading through the article yet; just got to the part where hokie is talking about the water cooler it's coming with. Now I know where all those Asetek built H70's are going to and why Corsair switched cooling OEMs for the H60-H80-H100 series of LCLC units. AMD probably bought all the production capacity of Asetek. :D

Thanks for an excellent review. I'm pretty new around here and I really like the format. Very good read.

As for BD, I must say I'm a bit dissappointed, though expected the result. Looks like I'll stay with the blue team for now.

I love the reviews here. I may not post alot but before i make a purchase i check here first.

Logical; it has been a long time since I studied CPU arch. But can it run 8 threads? If so what is the performance when it is pushed in a role where it could use everything it has?

When it uses everything it has, it does a pretty good job at it, outside of FP calculations.

Looks like we have a price to performance winner again, no?

Not by a long shot. The review showed the 4.75ghz results for this chip, but what about SB OC'd results? It leaves this thing in the dust, and frankly, I'm shocked that this failure of a chip got the approved stamp.

It can run 8 "real" threads. It isn't like hyperthreading.

The answer to your second question depends on which benchmark is used to measure.

wprime and superpi are very FPU dependent, of which Bulldozer only has 4 FPUs which is why, I think, you see it trading blows more or less in these benches with Thuban which had 6 FPUs. So basically, it could be said that the architecture of Bulldozer is strong enough to overcome the lack of FPUs to perform comparably to the old architecture with 2/3rds the FPU count. There are a few different ways you could frame that, so don't pick that comment apart too much - but hopefully it makes sense.

When it uses everything it has, it does a pretty good job at it, outside of FP calculations.

So I would be looking better than X6 and perhaps better than i7 in say WCG or other 8 thread DC work and encoding?

Not by a long shot. The review showed the 4.75ghz results for this chip, but what about SB OC'd results? It leaves this thing in the dust, and frankly, I'm shocked that this failure of a chip got the approved stamp.

Approved was judged by price/performance/positioning. Look at the stock results compared to comparably positioned products, and maybe you will disagree slightly less.

The initial poll result average is above 5, so that will help measure how on base or off base we are as people continue reading and voting. :thup: I understand how you feel though.

You cant give a disapproval on such a large ticket item and expect to be part of the next NDA :)

Seems OC got a good chip as well for overclocking. Many other sites are reporting issues in the range of 4.4 to 4.6ghz saying its tough to get stable even with a high end cooler.

Back