• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD FX-8150 - Bulldozer - Processor Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How happy are you with AMD FX-8150 price/performance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
@Dolk,

Given that this is a significant change is x86 architecture do you think that vast improvements can be made via software (os, app, game, etc) optimization? This is my gut feeling but it will take probably a year before we would see those is my guess.

i was thinking of updating to a new mobo and BD, but i think i'll just buy a couple of high end SSD III 120gig and raid them. should be about the same price.

I'm not saying everyone is going to agree, but I'm saying given the total package, what you get seems to be on the mark to me.

Look at it from a business point of view, and check my math from a few posts back. Is the TCO even anywhere near the competition? I don't think so, it's way higher.

I'm torn on this one. :(

Will I buy BD for some subzero fun? You bet your cookies I will.

Was I expecting more out of it? I was. Especially on the subzero department; I hoped that what BD lacked in ooomph at "normal" speed it would make up for when at -196C, but it really doesn't, or at least not to the level that I had hoped for.

I gotta say though; for all the hype that AMD threw at this chip it surely feels like a very anti-climactic ending to the saga. Kind of like the ending of "The Spranos"; all that build up just to do a "Fade to black"? Pfft.

@DOLK,

Given that this is a significant change is x86 architecture do you think that vast improvements can be made via software (os, app, game, etc) optimization? This is my gut feeling but it will take probably a year before we would see those is my guess.

I don't know, its hard to judge at this point.

Well Ill keep an eye on it and maybe itll surprise in the end, although I dont see it happening. If they immediately come w/ a price drop I could see it being OK.

That cooler it comes with is really nothing. If a H100 has issues at 4.6ghz keeping it cool, that thing wont do much. As far as board pricing, a little cheaper YES but not really much at all.

Maybe I was just expecting too much out of it. I was really hoping that the 8150 would put away the 2600k and give me a reason to buy it. I dont do serious (or cold) benchmarking so I really have no reason to even try it. Id rather save my money for SB-E upgrade at this point (or 7xxx graphics).

Hmmmm, kind of where I expected it to be. It's the one of the building blocks on the way to the next gen Trinity APU..... Now thats what I'm waiting for. The fully redeveloped vector based GPU should theoretically blow the socks off anything else once released. From this it's cleat that they'll be relying heavily on using the GPU component for compute tasks.

Hopefully the x86 component will improve IPC, and the poor FPU performance will be offloaded onto the GPU anyway so I think I can wait a fair while longer before upgrading. My good old 955BE is still going strong.

EDIT: It will be interesting to see if Trinity can be done right. If so then it has the capacity to be an Intel killer in certain tasks. I expect it to remain a poor performer on integer performance though, and as stated before, the x86 FPU performance won't mater. I wouldn't be surprised if the FPU unit is completely removed in Trinity in favor of offloading everything to the GPU component.

Look at it from a business point of view, and check my math from a few posts back. Is the TCO even anywhere near the competition? I don't think so, it's way higher.

TCO doesn't look good when you look at power consumption, and I had read your post. To be fair, it is a worst case scenario estimate, and I don't really know what your local electric rates are compared to mine... But you are right, there isn't any good news on the power consumption side, especially for those running distributed computing.

Most importantly, for those who don't run their processors at full load all the time though, I think there needs to be more extensive power consumption testing. For someone who encodes video occasionally, but the processor spends a lot of time in a near idle state during normal PC usage... I would really like to know what those power consumption numbers looked like. AMD talked a lot about the power gating and being able to turn off various unused parts of the CPU - there could be some bright news there for gamers, regular users, school computers, or typical office workloads.

Under load its sucking down juice, but as a normal daily driver not running distributed computing, I'd like to read more about power consumption - we certainly didn't have the time or equipment to evaluate that in this review.

wonder how sandy 2500K pairs up to BD clock for overclock @ 4.7 Ghz

Compare the stock results, that is pretty much your answer. Except on BD, you would have a bit more flexibility with FSB to tweak your memory OC.

That kinda bummed me out about this review.. Two highly OCable chips and only one was benched OC'd.

Time constraints, and clock for clock with nothing else changed is going to be virtually equivalent to stock comparison. Hokie's sleeping, but he could comment directly on that, and probably will tomorrow when he has a chance. Only had the chip for a bit over a week, he's got a full time job and family, had a mother in law in town, and was laid out sick for a couple days. Not making excuses, but with the number of runs and tests, these things do take time - wish we had him as a full time reviewer so he could drop his day job.

I believe Archer0915 already started the Ivy Bridge thread, just head over to the Intel section. :) Doz has the Piledriver rumors thread cooking I think too. lol

Not knocking hokie at all, I'm sure he did the best he could in the time he had available. I just don't like seeing one side OC'd and the other not :)

Also, if anyone cares, the Anandtech review went up a few minutes ago.

I guess we will have to see how well the FX chips do when under different aftermarket cooling (not just a custom water loop) -- or I guess, more directly, how well the bundled watercooler that comes with the chip performs

That $100 unit looks to be the Corsair H70. A good cooler, but not as good as the Corsair H80, which is also $5-10 cheaper too.

Hokie, good review man!:thup: I find the performance to be kind of disappointing, considering that AMD has been working on this for several years. It does OK and I hope that in the future, apps can be updated to better utilize the new arch of BD, but it's kind of meh to me as it sits now. And the power consumption issue is real and bad too. Will be like trying to cool a Bloomfield off I think.

BD didn't make that much of a difference overclocked IMO according to the graphs. And i think it was stated that way as well; however, does sandy show big improvements @ 4.7 Ghz? 4.7 appears to be a high point for sandy 2500K, whereas it appears as though BD can go higher but at no real improvement.

Back