Thread: Steam wth?

Steam wth?

I buy Deus Ex this morning(physical copy) Install it. Come back like 3 hours later to play, and the steam box pops up and says its loading. Then says this game is currently unavailable. WHat the hell is that supposed to mean?
    Theocnoob's fistula news- all fistula, all the time!
    10/28/14- The fistula is still leaking. Got a call back from the doctor. Still waiting for an MRI appointment and for my appointment with the colorectal surgeon. Apparently if I get any pain I have to go to emergency again. Damn hospitals...

same thing just happened to me with TF2
    Case: Fractal R4
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955BE 4Ghz/Swiftech H220
    MOBO: ASUS M4A88T-V
    GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX 970
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB
    Storage: Ocz 60gb SSD+3.5TB
    PSU: Corsair 750W
    Monitor: Overlord Tempest X270OC

Benching Team Leader
    Grabbed Senior
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    "Steam servers are too busy to handle your request. Please try again in a few minutes."

when trying to open any game. If only it was Origin, we wouldn't have these issues!
    Haswell Benching and Gaming: ASRock Z87 OC Formula : Intel i7 4770k w/ Phanteks PH-TC14 : 8GB 2x4GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2666 : MSI, XFX, and Sapphire R9 290X
    Other Components: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB SSD : 2TB Hitachi : Silverstone Strider Gold 1250W and Seasonic Platinum 1000W : Auria EQ276W 2560x1440

Folding User Stats

I own the game, I will play it when I damn well please, period. I hope someone from Steam is reading.
    10/28/14- The fistula is still leaking. Got a call back from the doctor. Still waiting for an MRI appointment and for my appointment with the colorectal surgeon. Apparently if I get any pain I have to go to emergency again. Damn hospitals...

Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    Rage did that with me!

I bought my copy from Bestbuy.. I install it, BAM its in my Steam?!?!?
    Gaming / Streaming Rig:
    CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2
    Cooler: NH-12U
    RAM: GSkill 1600Mhz 12GB
    Mobo: Asus R3E
    GPU: MSI R9 290x
    Storage: OS: Adata 128GB SSD Data: 4 x 1TB in RAID5
    Case:800D
    PSU: Revolution 85+ 1020w

As you know steam is DRM that has to call home for the game to work, only way around is to go into offline mode when it is working.
    FX-6300@4.5GHz, 7770, 2x4GB DDR3-1600 CL8, PCP&C 400w, 2x1TB
    i5-4690K@4.5GHz, 7850, 2x4GB DDR3-2400 CL10, Seasonic G-550, 2x1TB

Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Where the installation of the store-bought games independent of steam? Meaning they just placed a shortcut, installed in their own non-steam folder in program files, etc.? Or did it ask you to install steam during installation of the game?

From what I'm reading here sounds like Steam 'detected' your install and made it part of it without your permission...

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter256 View Post
    Where the installation of the store-bought games independent of steam? Meaning they just placed a shortcut, installed in their own non-steam folder in program files, etc.? Or did it ask you to install steam during installation of the game?

From what I'm reading here sounds like Steam 'detected' your install and made it part of it without your permission...
    That's what it does my friend. If you have Steam installed, which I do, and you buy games from Steam, which I do, when you buy a boxed RETAIL game that happens to be available on Steam it just eats it. Even the installer is the 'steam installer' with the little percentage bar that scrolls across but doesn't tell you what/where is installing. And it installs itself to the /steam folder.

As with all things, once you let them become big enough, they become inherently evil... I mean, unless their motto is not to be evil. Right?

10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    http://deusex.com/game/reqs

It says right there on the requirements that it uses the Steam platform...... That should tell you that Steam is REQUIRED, retail or not...... You purchased the game like that (Im sure if you look at the box, itll say the same thing).
    Asus P8P67
    Intel i7-2600k @ 4.9ghz
    GSkill Ripjaws 8gb 1600mhz c8
    EVGA GTX780 ACX 1228//1650
    OCZ Agility 2 240gb, Corsair Force 3 180gb, (2)WD 1tb Black
    HAF 932w/ Corsair HX750
    Heat

Quote Originally Posted by Theocnoob View Post
    That's what it does my friend. If you have Steam installed, which I do, and you buy games from Steam, which I do, when you buy a boxed RETAIL game that happens to be available on Steam it just eats it. Even the installer is the 'steam installer' with the little percentage bar that scrolls across but doesn't tell you what/where is installing. And it installs itself to the /steam folder.

As with all things, once you let them become big enough, they become inherently evil... I mean, unless their motto is not to be evil. Right?
    Retail games that are steam only (Deus Ex) are done through steam. BC2, for instance, is a game that was offered retail and through Steam, and doesn't play through steam if you have the retail version. I know this because I have the retail version and my friends have the Steam version, and I am greatly envious of them.

So to counter your point, Steam does not "eat up" games that happen to be available on steam unless that game is specifically required to use Steam.

As far as the game being unavailable (happened to me yesterday morning with Metro 2033, well.. Steam wouldn't even open), if you're already on and the game is unavailable, I'd just restart into offline mode, problem solved. If it's an online game that you want to play and Steam is down, well, I guess that's something you have to deal with. Not anything new for servers to occasionally have issues, right?
    When I logon to Windows, I press Ctrl+Alt+ELITE
    i7-2600 4001MHz @ 39x102.6~ASRock P67 Fatal1ty Professional~MSI N580GTX Lightning 1536MB @ 1000//2400 @ 1.149v~8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24~256GB Samsung 830 SSD and 60GB OCZ Vertex~2x Western Digital Caviar Green 1TBs in RAID1 ~BFG ES-800 PSU
    Custom Watercooling Loop | Apogee GT, MCW82, MCP35x + Res, Thermochill PA120.2 and 120.3 (both rev1) w/ Gentle Typhoon AP-15s pull, 7/16"x5/8" MasterKleer, 100% Distilled Water with Iodine ---All encased in a Silverstone TJ07B-W
    Join in on the fun! Heatware OCForums Metal Club member #13224

Quote Originally Posted by SolidxSnake View Post
    Retail games that are steam only (Deus Ex) are done through steam. BC2, for instance, is a game that was offered retail and through Steam, and doesn't play through steam if you have the retail version. I know this because I have the retail version and my friends have the Steam version, and I am greatly envious of them.

So to counter your point, Steam does not "eat up" games that happen to be available on steam unless that game is specifically required to use Steam.
    Many of the games I have purchased retail have had a STEAM installer and plopped themselves into my STEAM directory. Metro 2033 is another example.

Way Too Jealous Member Supertrucker's Avatar
    10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    Many games, including games not released by valve, are steam only games, that 100% require steam to play, whether you had steam installed before you bought them or not. Like fallout, new vegas. It is a steam only title, even if you bought an in store copy of the game, you have to install steam and launch it through steam, as steam is the publishers chosen method of drm.

Ive never once had a retail game that was not a steam required game force me to install through steam with a retail copy of the game.
    5820k @4250 Asus X99 Deluxe
    Crossfire R9 290 @ 1100/1300
    Catleap 2560x1440 IPS w/120hz pcb
    DT770 pro

Many of the games I have purchased retail have had a STEAM installer and plopped themselves into my STEAM directory. Metro 2033 is another example.
    You missed my entire post. There are plenty of retail games that are steam only (Deus Ex, and Metro, whatever other games you know of), but there are other ones that are both (BFBC2) and Steam doesn't automatically take over the retail install of the game.

The game will say "requires Steam" on the box if so.
    i7-2600 4001MHz @ 39x102.6~ASRock P67 Fatal1ty Professional~MSI N580GTX Lightning 1536MB @ 1000//2400 @ 1.149v~8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24~256GB Samsung 830 SSD and 60GB OCZ Vertex~2x Western Digital Caviar Green 1TBs in RAID1 ~BFG ES-800 PSU
    Custom Watercooling Loop | Apogee GT, MCW82, MCP35x + Res, Thermochill PA120.2 and 120.3 (both rev1) w/ Gentle Typhoon AP-15s pull, 7/16"x5/8" MasterKleer, 100% Distilled Water with Iodine ---All encased in a Silverstone TJ07B-W

Quote Originally Posted by SolidxSnake View Post
    You missed my entire post.
    How could I have missed the post if I replied to it?

I misunderstood it but I didn't miss it

Author Profile
    Wait, am I the only person who sees steamplay on a box and is excited?
    Do not break wind in the same room as a dark brother or sister; to do so is to invoke the wrath of Sithis. - Aynjell, in fond memory of Lucien LeChance

With a 20-120GB HD on most people's Xbox I doubt that will be successful.

Author Profile
    I think you misread my post. I said A BOX, not Xbox.
    Do not break wind in the same room as a dark brother or sister; to do so is to invoke the wrath of Sithis. - Aynjell, in fond memory of Lucien LeChance

Now I'm beginning to think you're trolling