• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem sleeving 24 pin-out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bloodsside14

I have all things i need to sleeve and i am afraid to pin out my 24 pin modular cable (not extension). I google for the diagram but still confusing on my side because they have same colors.

connector_atx_pinout.GIF

This is the guide i got, but still confusing because when i look at my 24 pin this is correct diagram but how about the next 24 pin?

Sample i have a orange cable in my 13 pins in the diagram where can i connect it to other 24 pin? also in 13 pins?

This is not a extension 24 pins this is a modular psu and i got this 24pins.

I'm having a hard time understanding your question. You mentioned "they all have the same color". What has the same color? You also mention "the next 24 pin", which I don't understand at all.

Are you asking if you can "mix" the pins as long as they are the same color? If so, then yes, you can.

If not, please clarify your question.

To make a simple, look at the diagram and have a 2 24 pin connector one is to the left and one is on the right(only 20pins but it in my case they have a removable 4 pins).

Combining the same color like on the diagram No.13 orange and i will connect it to no.11 it is okay? because in my 24 pin the no. 1 connected to no. 2 i don't want to rumble the pins w/o confirmation to the experts.

Why are you trying to combine connectors? I don't quite understand what you are trying to do.

Sounds like he's sleeving a modular 24pin cable, so there's 24pins on both ends of the cable. If that's the case, both ends should be identical and like the pic posted.

Sorry if i have a poor english.:(

Yes my 24 pins are modular and have both ends.

Need to be identical? Why thideras say's i can mix the wires as long as they are same colors.

Well, you can mix where the same color (voltage) wires are at because they will carry the same voltage, but just doing it identical will make it easier on you and anyone rewiring.

Identical? You mean like on the diagram? hmm.. I get it now.

Okay thanks, I think i get it!

My Second question before i start sleeving my wires. In my 24 pins(A) the No. 11 have to wires joined. but different connected to the other 24 pins(B) One wire connected to the N/C and one is connected to the orange coding. Can i remove the thin wire because this wire different to other's because all are thick and this is a thin one. What this wire use for?

Last edited:
Identical? You mean like on the diagram? hmm.. I get it now.

Okay thanks, I think i get it!

My Second question before i start sleeving my wires. In my 24 pins(A) the No. 11 have to wires joined. but different connected to the other 24 pins(B) One wire connected to the N/C and one is connected to the orange coding. Can i remove the thin wire because this wire different to other's because all are thick and this is a thin one. What this wire use for?

i would say dont remove that thin wire as it could be a bridge/link to another pin

How do i sleeve the wire if don't remove the thin wire? I think this is only a extra? because this thin wire connected to n/c part of 24 pins. w/c is no.20

But i don't get it why there is an extra wire? and i am searching that diagram i can't find the exact result. Only regular 24pins w/o that.

For extra idea, i have a Silverstone Strider 600w bronze.

You sleeve the wire with the one it is connected to. It should be orange and grey if I remember correctly. I just sleeved out my psu last night. All I did though was draw my own diagram of the wires and where they went as I removed them. Remember one side has a clip the other doesn't so it makes drawing up a diagram easy on a sheet of paper

You could solder the smaller wire further down the larger wire, so that it won't show. You would be left with only one wire to crimp/sleeve/heatshrink.

There's not a clean way to shrink around two wires and have it fit into the connector.

Those thin wires, IIRC, were something related to a device inside PSUs that controlled voltage or so, and you should not remove them. Try sleeving them in the same sleeve as the other one, it shouldn't be hard since they're so thin.

The thin wire must be connected to one of the orange wires at the mobo end and the NC pin at the PSU end, that is the 3.3v sense wire. The PSU uses it for fine tuning the voltages.

The thin wire must be connected to one of the orange wires at the mobo end and the NC pin at the PSU end, that is the 3.3v sense wire. The PSU uses it for fine tuning the voltages.

Yeah, that little wire is pretty important. Without it, you can almost count on the voltages being out of spec under load.

Back