Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Jeff Atwood likes OCF, hates our design (IMOG and Archer0915 take a look)

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/201...ification.html

Saw that today when reading around. Scroll down a bit. You guys are famous .

For those who don't know Jeff Atwood (and partners) started Stack Exchange/Stack Overflow/etc.
    Intel C2D e6400 @ 375MHz x8 = 3Ghz 1.328v, Gigabyte EP43-UD3L, 3GB DDR2, GeForce 9600GT, 73GB 15K SCSI HD/Adaptec 29160 SCSI Card, 750GB SATA Drive, 320GB ATA Drive, HDTV Tuner

D5 Pump • Bonneville w/ AC Heater Core • Gemeni Cooling Maze 4 Style Water Block

Sager 8690: Core i7 940XM Exreme 2.13GHz (3.2GHz Turbo), 4GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 285M 1GB, 15.6" 1080 LCD, 320GB 7200RPM HD

Difference Between D5 Revisions + flow mod Difference between NPSM & G1/4

I will quote myself:
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer0915 View Post
    Hey that is infringement. I did not see a single word about OCF. He better cite the source of those shots.

These forums are paid for and not by him. I was there in the old BB days and this is much better. It is more personal and homey feeling. That guy can Kiss my Converse.
    People that buy OEM systems think Linux was a Charlie Brown character, a registry is something you see at target to buy shower gifts, RAM is a Dodge truck and a hard drive is DC at rush hour.
    Current Active Fleet:
    Daily Driver i7 3740QM T530
    Work Rig/networked backup - i7 4770K@4.4, 24GB Ram, 7850 GFX Bedroom PC - i7 870 @ 3.4, 16GB Ram, 6670 GFX
    Home School PC (kids) SB Celery @1.6, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX Living Room HTPC - E-450@1.9 GHz, 4GB Ram
    Game Rig (kids)- 3570K@4.7, 12GB Ram, 465GTX + 9800GT (PhysX) using intel SRT
    Test Bed - In flux

I will quote myself:
    Hey that is infringement. I did not see a single word about OCF. He better cite the source of those shots.

These forums are paid for and not by him. I was there in the old BB days and this is much better. It is more personal and homey feeling. That guy can Kiss my Converse.
    Just playing devils advocate here. What is he infringing on? Infringment, as defined by Wikipedia is

In a legal context, an infringement refers to the violation of a law or a right.
    He's not violating any law or right. Copyright infringement? Patent infringement? This is a free, public website, and information (at least to me) here should be viewed as such. He's not claiming ownership or to have written anything in that screenshot. Sure, it would be nice to at least provide a link or cite where it's from, but, as far as I know, he's not doing anything wrong by not doing that.

In your quote Archer, I'm just seeing misguided anger because he "insulted" our website.

For what it's worth, I don't see anything wrong with our site either though
    Gigabyte Sniper M3 - i7 2700K - Corsair H80
    Asus GTX780 DCII - Dell U2712HM & Dell U2212HM
    16GB G.Skill Sniper - 256GB Crucial M4 - 3TB Hitachi 7K3000
    Silverstone ST65F-G - Silverstone SG10
    Heatware

[Citation Needed] Member Theocnoob's Avatar
    When you use someone else's image, even if its in the public domain, its at least common courtesy to reference the source

Photo: Archer0915, Chief guy with gun www.overclockers.com

If I just do that without sourcing it, it's at very least douchey.

§ 201 · Ownership of copyright1
    (a) Initial Ownership.—Copyright in a work protected under this title
    vests initially in the author or authors of the work. The authors of a joint work
    are coowners of copyright in the work.
    (b) Works Made for Hire.—In the case of a work made for hire, the employer
    or other person for whom the work was prepared is considered the author
    for purposes of this title, and, unless the parties have expressly agreed otherwise
    in a written instrument signed by them, owns all of the rights comprised in the
    copyright.
    (c) Contributions to Collective Works.—Copyright in each separate
    contribution to a collective work is distinct from copyright in the collective work
    as a whole, and vests initially in the author of the contribution. In the absence
    of an express transfer of the copyright or of any rights under it, the owner of
    copyright in the collective work is presumed to have acquired only the privilege
    of reproducing and distributing the contribution as part of that particular collective
    work, any revision of that collective work, and any later collective work
    in the same series.
    http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap2.pdf

In essence my image is also a sort of trade mark and the text here is copyrighted. No sources cited. Also I am an arrogant pompous ass at times but the frickin truth is many times what I say is not common or general knowledge and therefore does not fall under special rules of exemption.

The guy has links and if those are paid links he is not giving me, I.M.O.G. of OCF our cut. Shame.
    People that buy OEM systems think Linux was a Charlie Brown character, a registry is something you see at target to buy shower gifts, RAM is a Dodge truck and a hard drive is DC at rush hour.
    Current Active Fleet:
    Work Rig/networked backup - i7 4770K@4.4, 24GB Ram, 7850 GFX Bedroom PC - i7 870 @ 3.4, 16GB Ram, 6670 GFX
    Home School PC (kids) SB Celery @1.6, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX Living Room HTPC - E-450@1.9 GHz, 4GB Ram
    Test Bed - In flux

Hard Ass Southern Boy Senior Wicked Klown's Avatar
    Well he really wouldn't owe you anything. As anything posted on the OCF belongs to Inet. This includes post, pics and such.
    Media Server | Norco RPC-470 | GIGABYTE GA-890XA-UD3 | Phenom II X4 925 Deneb | 8gigs G.SKILL Ripjaws PC3 10666 | 64gig Crucial M4 | x2 2TB Samsung F3 | x2 1TB Samsung F1 | x1 2TB Samsung F4 | 500gigs Seagate 7200.10 | Sapphire HD4830 HDMI | Corsair 650hx

HEAT

"Never surrender. You're too much of a hardass to die on everyone." - Voodoo Rufus

[Citation Needed] Member Theocnoob's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure it does apply here. I remember someone I used to know who wrote books about fish that had some of his non professional 'my home fish' pictures pilfered by a site and threatened legal action of some sort..

What I post I believe would fall under clause (C) Contributions to Collective Works.—Copyright in each separate
    contribution to a collective work is distinct
    from copyright in the collective work
    as a whole, and vests initially in the author of the contribution.
    In the absence
    of an express transfer of the copyright or of any rights under it, the owner of
    copyright in the collective work is presumed to have acquired only the privilege
    of reproducing and distributing the contribution as part of that particular collective
    work,
    any revision of that collective work, and any later collective work
    in the same series.

Where INet or I.M.O.G. or myself has the right and the right to share, publish or otherwise distribute but this person did not have the permission of INet, myself of I.M.O.G. I presume. Not citation is a violation I think.
    Last edited by Archer0915; 10-14-11 at 11:22 PM.
    Current Active Fleet:
    Test Bed - In flux

He's just pushing his product and creating numbers out of nowhere like an infomercial.

Obviously, his product it show information as efficiently and effectively as possible and I see that.

Let's not get all fussy about him using our site as an 'example' or a really bad example at that IMO.
    Last edited by madhatter256; 10-15-11 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter256 View Post
    He's just pushing his product and creating numbers out of nowhere like an infomercial.

Obviously, his product it show information as efficiently and effectively as possible and I see that.

Let's not get all fussy about him using our site as an 'example' or a really bad example at that IMO.
    I aint getting fussy I am just saying he should have cited, well not really cited jut noted we were OCF.
    Current Active Fleet:
    Test Bed - In flux

Researches Meritless
    LIES for the Front
    Page and Super Mutterator

Overclockers.com Editor
    First Responders

Thus is funny... what does his forum look like?

Anyway. I don't think this violated anything though. He isn't using the content in the posts its just a picture example of structure which someone e not logged in can easily see.

I don't think the law was broken. I am funning; but hell it may have been broken for all I know.
    Last edited by Archer0915; 10-15-11 at 07:23 AM.
    Current Active Fleet:
    Test Bed - In flux

† SU(3) Moderator †
    Not sure what the guy is complaining about? Everything looks fine to me. If circa 2011 means ads, flashing lights and other garbage jumping at you, then no thanks. I'm happy with our 2001.
    Motherboard Repair Tutorial || Power Supply Repair Tutorial || A Closer Look at PSU Signals ||
    Understanding SMPS Technology
    || ASUS P5K Capacitor mod || Kernel Compile Guide || Guide to Wiping an SSD

Build in progress
    ASUS Maximus Hero || i5-4670K || Crucial M500-480Gb || Antec HCP-850M || ASUS GTX 750Ti || Carbide 300R || Coolermaster Glacer 240L

I know how old I am and if anyone else is around my age they will remember things like the old BBS systems (some were only 300-1200 BPS). Everything was text man.

http://bbslist.textfiles.com/919/
    Current Active Fleet:
    Test Bed - In flux

Gloriously Lead
    Overclockix Chief Architect
    If we really wanted to, we could ask him to take it down and whatnot but I don't see it as that much of a big deal. If we complain about it, they will just edit the post and say how we are a bunch of bad sports, etc

This guy obviously hasn't been at many other forums. They think our site is bad? He should see those that allow huge ass picture signatures that are 750 px high. Now that is a waste of space.

*edit: I noticed a few people mentioned not having signatures saving a ton of space, etc but really, it saves space. It saves space from people having to say "what system is this in" and then a response of the specs of the system in nearly every thread. When problems and answers are directly related to the system specs in signatures, it is pretty important to have on a technical forum, IMO. Of course, if I felt like there was something wrong with how things look, I would have already changed things around
    Last edited by mbentley; 10-17-11 at 05:47 AM.
    intel i5-750 -- msi p55-gd65 -- 4 x 4gb ddr3 1600 -- msi gtx550 ti cyclone oc 1gb -- antec p182 -- ocz fatal1ty 750w -- windows 8.1 x64
    intel i5-3330 -- msi z77a-gd65 -- 4 x 8gb ddr3 1600 -- intel hd graphics 2500 -- fractal design define r4 black -- debian wheezy amd64

forum rules | overclockix | overclockers geforce survey | mbentley.net

Quote Originally Posted by mbentley View Post

This guy obviously hasn't been at many other forums. They think our site is bad? He should see those that allow huge ass picture signatures that are 750 px high. Now that is a waste of space.
    i hate those signatures, yeah as im lesser active now ive reduced my signature as i rarely ask questions about my own system, just like to help, this is just ridiculous in my opionion, this is the best forum ive ever been on.
    This is not the signature you are looking for.

Please Fold For Team32!

Trashcan Man Member
    This is hipster minimalist propaganda. I don't care what percent of my screen is used by actual information, and if the majority of the users on the site feel the same then there is no reason to go mucking about with it because someone is OCD about how much screen they use.

I don't see what problem web designers/programmers have with keeping interfaces the same. I like the posting system on this forum more than I do other minimalist forums that I've seen and used, and as mentioned there are plenty of forums that are a LOT more cluttered. I also like XP's interface over vista/7 a lot and don't get me started on office 2003 vs 2007 (even though I thankfully don't have to use either at the moment). Why can't we just keep an interface that works? Why must all this time be wasted on mucking about with something that works perfectly fine to begin with? Look at the automobile, it's had the same basic interface for something close to 100 years now, but before that every single one worked differently and you'd have to re-learn it every time you used a different car.

</rant>
    Member of the MOAR VOLTS™ club.

Quote Originally Posted by mbentley View Post
    If we really wanted to, we could ask him to take it down and whatnot but I don't see it as that much of a big deal. If we complain about it, they will just edit the post and say how we are a bunch of bad sports, etc

*edit: I noticed a few people mentioned not having signatures saving a ton of space, etc but really, it saves space. It saves space from people having to say "what system is this in" and then a response of the specs of the system in nearly every thread. When problems and answers are directly related to the system specs in signatures, it is pretty important to have on a technical forum, IMO. Of course, if I felt like there was something wrong with how things look, I would have already changed things around
    Agreed 100%. Sometimes getting information across efficiently doesn't mean packing it all onto the screen as tightly as possible. Honestly, his "Actual Information" box was harder for me to read then the screenshot from the forums...the spacing made it hard to visually (subconciously) identify when someone else was "speaking", and it made it impossible to tell if the third post was by the OP or someone else. Having avatars, coloring, etc makes a big difference to readability - When I see IMOG's name in red with a bunch of stars, that puts more weight behind it than someone with white text and 1 star. And when I see Archer's picture, I know to take everything he says with a grain of salt. It's part of being a community, as opposed to just being a resource for people to get help with computer stuff. And of course, having hardware in your sig is usually FAR more efficient than the 20 "what are your specs" questions. For example, in Archer's OP, he just said "will I see a difference moving to X6", and we knew that he meant "from an X4 to an X6" because it's in his sig. As opposed to someone without a sig just saying "will I see a difference moving to an X6?" ...well, from what? A 3400+? Completely different question.
    mATX Desktop (Build Log Here): Core i7 4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 1.3V, Maximus VI Gene, 16GB DDR3-1600 RipjawX, EVGA GTX780, Intel 520 240GB, Seagate 2TB, EK CPU and GPU waterblocks, MCP35X, 120.1 and 180.1 radiators.
    Microsoft Surface Pro 3.

The Hardware Destruction Thread|OCForums Musicians Club Member -12|OCForums Metal Club Member -12

Well, if he opens the box and its dead, then it would be his fault because the state of the cat is determined by the observer. Then we could be all ‘n00b, you collapsed the wavefunction now! - RoadWarrior, on Schrödinger’s Cat

Quote Originally Posted by KonaKona View Post
    This is hipster minimalist propaganda. I don't care what percent of my screen is used by actual information, and if the majority of the users on the site feel the same then there is no reason to go mucking about with it because someone is OCD about how much screen they use.

I don't see what problem web designers/programmers have with keeping interfaces the same. I like the posting system on this forum more than I do other minimalist forums that I've seen and used, and as mentioned there are plenty of forums that are a LOT more cluttered. I also like XP's interface over vista/7 a lot and don't get me started on office 2003 vs 2007 (even though I thankfully don't have to use either at the moment). Why can't we just keep an interface that works? Why must all this time be wasted on mucking about with something that works perfectly fine to begin with? Look at the automobile, it's had the same basic interface for something close to 100 years now, but before that every single one worked differently and you'd have to re-learn it every time you used a different car.

</rant>
    This Quote was by KonaKona, posted on October 19, 1:29pm MST, he was wearing blue jeans and T-shirt, typing on a computer, at a desk....just wanted to make sure I didn't infringe on his "writes".

Anyway, I agree with Kona. I like the separation/delineation and character of the "frippery" on the forum...and it just works.
    i5-3570k @ 4.5ghz WC'd
    MSI Z77A-G41
    R9 280X
    2x4gb PC16000
    256GB Samsung 840
    Sennheiser HDR-120's
    Dell U2713HM
    "Computer games don’t affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we’d all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitve electonic dance music..." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast