• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ubuntu 11.10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
So...what do you think? It's pretty fancy. Definitely works my old laptop (the only linux machine we have) hard. There is a whole lot of eye candy and the menu structure is completely changed.

That said, I kind-of like it. The new interface is actually pretty intuitive. Since I don't do much (well, anything) on this thing except browse and the occasional document or perhaps edit an image or two, it seems like it will do the job. Definitely not your average linux distro. Linux-for-dummies, which I will happily admit I am, feels like an apt descriptor. :D

ubuntu11.10-ss.jpg

EDIT - FYI, that launcher on the left is also where your apps go when minimized. It's auto-hide, so you have the entire screen width available when you're in-app, which is handy on a laptop. Thought I'd show you the new programs "menu" called "Dash" now.

app launcher.jpg

Last edited:
I've seen some disinterest in Unity vs. gnome, but your screenshots look pretty tasty. I haven't tried any Ubuntu since about 8.04 or whichever it was, but the applications menu looks a LOT like what Mint's does. I've got Mint 9 on dual boot, so I pop into that occasionally.

Did the "Additional Drivers" button find you anything useful, or did you just grab your own drivers?

I had to use a windows driver for this ancient thing's wi-fi. Haven't needed anything else.

I must say that I haven't used Ubuntu since they dropped gnome for unity. It looks like they are definitely going for the easy to use and being successful at that. It would be interesting to take a closer look though to see what all is different since around 9.04 or so.

Unity on 11.10 feels a lot better than it did in 11.04.

for me the additional drivers program has always just grabbed the graphics card drivers, before I have nvidia which it would detect, now I have an ATI card which it also detects and automatically sets up.

the only thing that bugs me with unity is that by default the bar on the left vanishes, when you maximize a program. I used compizConfiguration-settings-manager to change the panel to be smaller and never auto hides, makes it feel a lot more usable.

Looks interesting, but I have been seeing a lot of driver issues with the amd 6950/70's... anyone with that card have any problems?

Hmmmm....thanks for the screen shots. Might have to check out Ubuntu again. Been running Mint and love it. That's the great thing about Linux OS. One can play and change depending on the mood.

the only thing i'm not too fond of is strictly using unity out of the box, you can grab gnome-fallback-session for an "emulated" non unity desktop, but its not the same as gnome2

edit: or gnome-shell for the gnome3 desktop, but i think that is garbage too :/

Last edited:
Unity on 11.10 feels a lot better than it did in 11.04.

This. Unity finally feels useful, as long as you take advantage of the right click menus for your programs.

There are a lot of small changes though in ubuntu that I am not too happy about. They keep hiding the configurations deeper and deeper in the OS. I had to install compiz settings manager to change the taskbar and gnome settings manager to change the font size. It seems like they should have kept the basics at least.

I'm not a big fan of unity, prefer gnome 2-point -something. ;)

The interface is reminiscent of win 8's "metro"... :-o
:rolleyes:

with half the bloat atleast i'm nowhere near 40% ram usage at the moment. :shrug:

Me neither, and I've got the CPU pegged at 100% running this fire breathing f@h work unit.

:p

screenshotszr.png

I'm using Xubuntu myself. I didn't like the Unity interface from Ubuntu Netbook Edition, though I know why it works well for small form factor. I personally have gone to the 'dark side' of xfce.

I'm using Xubuntu myself. I didn't like the Unity interface from Ubuntu Netbook Edition, though I know why it works well for small form factor. I personally have gone to the 'dark side' of xfce.

I've been using Xubuntu since 7.10 love it always will lol. XFCE :thup:

Anyway I tested out 11.10 at my buddies, my first taste of unity. Didn't really care for it, I just felt like i was looking at Ubuntu's verison of metro.

The 11.04 Unity was a disaster. Slow, sluggish and buggy as hell. 11.10 is a vast improvement! I know many people hate the interface, but I like this new look. Run Unity2D instead of 3D and you will gain some performance (less resource hungry).

Time to check out the new distro it seems.. have a tablet pc running ubuntu 10.xx and it works pretty decent, even the pen on the screen.. wonder how this does with the pen.. time will tell!

Running Ubuntu Studio, upgraded to 11.10 with Unity, and although there are some quirky/buggy things it really isn't that bad at all, looking forward to improvements in the future. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back