• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

asus 6970 too wide for mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

illo

Guys, I have a pair of asus 6970 that I wanted to put in crossfire, I just bought a asus gene-z and apparently the new cooling system makes this videocard waaay to thick to get in(takes up 3 slots).

Do any of you guys have any idea on how to give it a leaner profile? Im already doing watercooling on the CPU, is that the easiest way to slim it down? are other 6970's slimmer? Neweeg and a lot of the dev sites that I have looked at only mention length/height not the width of the card.

Is this your card? The Asus HD 6970 DCUII?

If so, it's a 3-slot cooler. And that motherboard only has dual-slot spacing due to it being an mATX motherboard. It does not have triple-slot spacing. So, unfortunately, you will not be able to fit them in CrossFire due to space constrictions on your board. You could watercool them, yes.

For watercooling them you would need a Asus DCUII 6970 waterblock, not a reference waterblock as these are not reference cards and use a custom layout on the PCB compared to the reference design. You would also need to find PCI brackets that are dual spaced and not three spaces (or single spaced, that would work, too). Finding those custom brackets are going to be hard to find, if they even exist.

crap

bennoculus, thanks for the info, both good and bad news but I guess I should pay attention to pci spacing next time around...derp.

I suppose I have always wanted to have WC on my GPU, now I CAN. I chose the universal EK-VGA GPU block that works with mine, it mentions ram and mosfet cooling need to be purchased seperatly. I took the cover off last night and it doesn't look like the heatsink really does much for those two guys. Is it possible to cool the GPU with water and the mosfet and ram with just a fan? Also for my loop, I picked up another black ice 120.2 radiator( I now have two of them) is that going to be enough for CPU + CrossfireGPU cooling? I imagine soo, the sticky mentioned that it might be a little under-par though, does anyone have experience with this?

edit:
Right now, due to money constraints, they will be in the same loop.

Back