• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Printer Networking problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XPogiGTIVR6X

My dad got a HP officejet 710, one of those all in one deals. And we are networked together, Daisy Chaned ( Cross over cable), I hate it when Im on my computer and the Printer is attached to his computer, I have to move what ever im doing over to his computer just to print. I tryed adding a network printer in "My computer." And I do point it to my dads computer, and the printer, then it ask's for the driver, I put in the disk, and it says use Setup.exe. and cant get the drivers of the Cd. And when I try installing the printer onto my computer, it looks for it localy. any help will be Much appricated!

if its usb couldn't he just use a usb hub and enable file and print sharing, would that solve his prob?:eh?:

All you have to do is go into the network properties of the computer that the printer is installed in and set file and print sharing. Install the printer driver on THAT computer. Right click the printer and share it out.

Then on the other computer go to install printer. It will ask if its a local or network printer. Install it as a network printer. It should find it on it's own. If it doesn't try going to START / RUN and type in //share/printer

Share = fathers computer name
printer = shared name of the printer and it should install it that way also.

Kingslayer said:
All you have to do is go into the network properties of the computer that the printer is installed in and set file and print sharing. Install the printer driver on THAT computer. Right click the printer and share it out.

Then on the other computer go to install printer. It will ask if its a local or network printer. Install it as a network printer. It should find it on it's own. If it doesn't try going to START / RUN and type in //share/printer

Share = fathers computer name
printer = shared name of the printer and it should install it that way also.

ok, I did every thing this dude said. Im using windows 98 on both computers, and on computer A ( my computer) I can see my dads computer ( computer B) and every thing that is shared. INLUDING the printer. but on Computer A, when I try to Add printer/networkprinter/ Location= //fatherscomputer/HP , it asks for the driver. I pop in the included CD, and point it to the CD rom drive. and It says Please_use_Setup_exe. and doesnt alow windows to copy any drivers. ok, so I use Setup.exe, and it only looks on my Printerport and I cant choose anything else! thanks for all your inputs guys.

ok, I did every thing this dude said. Im using windows 98 on both computers, and on computer A ( my computer) I can see my dads computer ( computer B) and every thing that is shared. INLUDING the printer. but on Computer A, when I try to Add printer/networkprinter/ Location= //fatherscomputer/HP , it asks for the driver. I pop in the included CD, and point it to the CD rom drive. and It says Please_use_Setup_exe. and doesnt alow windows to copy any drivers. ok, so I use Setup.exe, and it only looks on my Printerport and I cant choose anything else! thanks for all your inputs guys.

yah see? I am making it look for a network printer, and I point it to my Dad's computer, and it asks for the driver, BUT when I put the driver CD in, and point it to the CD-rom. It says, Please_use_Setup_exe. and doesnt alow windows to copy any drivers, so I use The Given CD to install the Printer, and It wont let my choose where it make it scan, It only scans on my printerport, thats it. It has no Choice for a network printer,

OK, then what you need to do is to fool that printer.

Take if from your father computer and physically hook it up to yours. Load the drivers. Delete the printer from the printers section of the control panel, if it asks to remove the drivers along with it, SELECT NO.

Then take it back to your fathers computer and go back to yours and tell it to install. When it asks for a driver look in the lists of drivers and that printer should now show up in there.

Just make sure your fathers computer is turned on and connected to the network.

This way the driver is already pre-installed on your computer and you dont have to fight with it the way you are.

Back