• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why is Newegg.com starting to suck?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for sharing unknownxv, good description of the issue and reasonable approach to resolving it. Looking forward to the update.

Unknownxv, try contacting your bank. Is it possible that is was something on their end that put the money in limbo? At the very least, you should be able to get confirmation of where the money sits.

I'm not familiar with the payment process you used, but if the bank verifies that the payment completed to them (and isn't just hung up in the bank, just outside of your account) I would contact them as well.

In any case, any action you take is better than just waiting for newegg to get back to you, so at the very least you can say "I have evidence that the money is in newegg accounts, and would like it returned to me asap."

Yeah, I was thinking about doing that. From what I understand of the process, the money is instantly transferred to the companies account, but I could be wrong. I'll contact my bank and find out how it works or if there were any issues on that end.

** Edit **

I sent the message. This is what I wrote:

"
Hi,

On Mar 01, 2012 I made a purchase on a website called newegg.ca using their online Interac payment option. I had used this site before to make 4 different purchases and never had any issues.

The bank log is:

WWWINTERAC PUR 9863
-NEWEGG CANADA I 322.34

A few hours after the purchase was complete, the order was voided on their website and transferred to their fraud department, which has me very confused.

My question is if this payment can be tracked, to see if it properly made it to the seller's account and to make sure there were no complications on my end that would be responsible for this issue. So far, Newegg customer support has not be able to identify the exact reason for the order being voided, so this is the only place I can try to get some answers.

Thank you"

Hopefully I get a response soon. :)

Last edited:
I wish theyd pass some sort of laws requiring shipment at the time of payment for online sales. I know Amazon doesnt charge till its ready to ship which is nice.

Its ridiculous that companies can take payment, not ship, stall out, and then issue a refund at their convenience which usually takes 2-3 days to process anyways. The consumer is the only one screwed as alot of people dont have the extra funds to float the money and purchase something else right away if its needed.

Exactly. I can't order it again or I would be going hungry for a while.. meanwhile people keep buying and eventually it'll go out of stock. I just hope I get it sorted out before then, wish me luck.

Dunno, because its the same everywhere for the most part. Most places want to charge early to be sure payment clears prior to shipment, and be sure they do not refund when payment didn't actually clear initially. Not sure, but I would guess there are good reasons like that behind it.

Well, apparently they were able to determine that the cause of the fraud alert was an "invalid" phone number. What? It's not invalid, although it's a home phone so I may have missed the call.

Are you telling me I have to be home 24/7 or have a cell phone in order to not be voided on an order? Why? If the funds clear what does it even matter what my phone number is?

I'm really unhappy because I just checked and the laptop deal I was getting is out of stock now. And even if it wasn't, who knows how long it will take for the money to be refunded to me.

Damn it.. I hate complaining but this is one case where I'm just very disappointed.

I ordered a 6ft usb cable and a crucial m4 128gb sataIII 7 days ago. I selected the free shipping 4-7 days. They seperated my order out into 2 invoices for some reason. At first I thought it was because they were coming out of two different places, but I saw they both are from atlanta. So it's the 7th day and my cable is here, but no drive. This makes no sense to me.

I wish theyd pass some sort of laws requiring shipment at the time of payment for online sales. I know Amazon doesnt charge till its ready to ship which is nice.

Its ridiculous that companies can take payment, not ship, stall out, and then issue a refund at their convenience which usually takes 2-3 days to process anyways. The consumer is the only one screwed as alot of people dont have the extra funds to float the money and purchase something else right away if its needed.

+1 this. I've read of horror stories of companies who charged right away, waited a week or so, then 'apologized' because they were 'out of stock', then you got to wait a few more days to get refunded.

In some cases the out of stock claim usually comes after customer refuses to buy additional (and very pricey) accessories. For example you get a good deal on a DSLR camera body. The company collects the money, then calls you and tries to get you to buy a $100 cable, a $20 1GB memory card, a $10 1 year warranty, etc. If you don't buy the pricey options, company then waits a while, claim they are out of stock, waits a few more days, then finally issue refund when you're calling the bank to file chargeback.

Well, apparently they were able to determine that the cause of the fraud alert was an "invalid" phone number. What? It's not invalid, although it's a home phone so I may have missed the call...I hate complaining but this is one case where I'm just very disappointed.

That's nothing but a cop-out. No bank nor credit agency requires this and if they had an internal policy regarding this, they could have emailed you. They screwed up and don't want to admit it.

+1 this. I've read of horror stories of companies who charged right away, waited a week or so, then 'apologized' because they were 'out of stock', then you got to wait a few more days to get refunded...

I've had this type of delay happen in various ways several times from online retailers. There's always some sort of cop-out, usually using the "credit card security" line. A convenient, albeit deceitful way to shift blame while appearing to "care".

Dunno, because its the same everywhere for the most part. Most places want to charge early to be sure payment clears prior to shipment, and be sure they do not refund when payment didn't actually clear initially. Not sure, but I would guess there are good reasons like that behind it.

Ok, I can understand your concerns and respect that a company must protect itself but if they screw up and they are in the wrong, they need to put the money back just as quickly as they received it.

Ok, I can understand your concerns and respect that a company must protect itself but if they screw up and they are in the wrong, they need to put the money back just as quickly as they received it.

I don't disagree. Just my attempt at explaining why things are the way they are. This can't be a criticism really either of Newegg specifically, when every internet retailer out there except maybe amazon operates this way. I think its crap, but its part of internet retail currently.

This thread has newegg and sucks in the title... I would just like it to mainly remain on point about Newegg.

Still no reply yet today. I can't believe it's such a hassle to order a laptop when you have the money. I'm not dealing with a Credit Card here. :(

Well to update, I sent another email and still, no response. How can they legally just ignore me when they have 322$ that's been payed without giving me the product I ordered? This is ridiculous.

Last edited:
So I made the big mistake of ordering stuff from Newegg with the shipping method set to Pony Express Eggsaver and failed to notice until DHL started a 48 states tour with the stuff I ordered. I had two separate orders for things. As it is fairly obvious to see, I live in Indiana.

One was shipped from New Jersey and made stops in 3 different locations in Jersey before making its way to Kentucky. Only took 5 days to make it that far when USPS would have had it at my door in 2 but whatever, I get what I pay for. The other package went from Atlanta to Groveport, OH (just outside of Columbus) and then to Pennsylvania... looks like DHL it going out for a long pass here in the wrong direction. :screwy:

The whole point of this is just to remember how I miss the days of free FedEx shipping where everything arrived quickly in 2-3 days tops. This is what I get for not paying attention to the shipping method yet again :facepalm:

*edit: Sorry to the Pony Express for putting your name out there. You probably would have delivered my stuff to me yesterday so I need a new pet name for Eggsaver shipping ;)

I doubt that newegg controls where the packages go once they are passed off to the shipping company.

UPS 3 day ground, which is the cheapest shipping method besides eggsaver, would have delivered your stuff within 3 days. You should only pick eggsaver if you don't care when your item will arrive.

As far as the newegg shopping/processing/shipping experience, I haven't had a better one. 95% of the time when I order anything, I'll have it the following day with UPS 3 day ground.

I doubt that newegg controls where the packages go once they are passed off to the shipping company.

UPS 3 day ground, which is the cheapest shipping method besides eggsaver, would have delivered your stuff within 3 days. You should only pick eggsaver if you don't care when your item will arrive.

As far as the newegg shopping/processing/shipping experience, I haven't had a better one. 95% of the time when I order anything, I'll have it the following day with UPS 3 day ground.

Oh I totally agree but they should realize that shipping options are a part of their customer experience. I know that I selected the Eggsaver and that is all me but I just miss the mind blowing service Newegg had all around. For the price of added shipping costs, I could have probably just gone to Fry's and bought the RAM if I really didn't want to wait 7 days, ya know?

So I made the big mistake of ordering stuff from Newegg with the shipping method set to Pony Express Eggsaver and failed to notice until DHL started a 48 states tour with the stuff I ordered. I had two separate orders for things. As it is fairly obvious to see, I live in Indiana.

One was shipped from New Jersey and made stops in 3 different locations in Jersey before making its way to Kentucky. Only took 5 days to make it that far when USPS would have had it at my door in 2 but whatever, I get what I pay for. The other package went from Atlanta to Groveport, OH (just outside of Columbus) and then to Pennsylvania... looks like DHL it going out for a long pass here in the wrong direction. :screwy:

The whole point of this is just to remember how I miss the days of free FedEx shipping where everything arrived quickly in 2-3 days tops. This is what I get for not paying attention to the shipping method yet again :facepalm:

*edit: Sorry to the Pony Express for putting your name out there. You probably would have delivered my stuff to me yesterday so I need a new pet name for Eggsaver shipping ;)

Whatever came out of Atlanta, you bought through newegg and not actually from them. Someone correct me if I am wrong but newegg does not have a location in Atlanta otherwise there would be taxes added to Ga. residents. It looks to me like they have become another Amazon or front for a lot of products that they have nothing to do with and is most likely the reason for DHL. While this might be a good thing for them it is probably not a good thing for us.

Back