• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Thermalright HR-02 Macho Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Another excellent article, which is a pleasure to read.

Thanks Jim!

Thank you David.

I figured this one would gather some attention right away, especially with it's performance for the price it sells for, but I guessed wrong. :confused:

Interesting.. Never seen a heatsink with holes/slots in the fins before.. Are there any others that are like that as well?

Also, what size are they? Ok its a slot and not a hole, but if you drill a hole in a plate, you actually lose surface area when the hole diameter is twice that to the plate thickness, so something similar will occur if too big slots are used. At least from the pictures they seem big enough to do that..

Wouldn't losing surface area be bad for dispersing heat, or am I getting something wrong here.. Or! Is it to, again, reduce cost? :confused:

Argh.. Have to stop thinking too much into heatsink design. It's hurting my brain.

The big hole in the middle area of the heatsink is to give you access to the mounting screw with a long shank screwdriver to mount the heatsink. The slots are there to help promote airflow between the fins I guess, in fanless mode. This heatsink was originally designed a year ago or so to run without a fan; just using normal case airflow for cooling. I'm no thermodynamics engineer that can give you a scientific reason for them though.

This is an impressive cooler. Especially at that price. Great review as usual. Looking forward to more availability of these. I may have to pick one up.

I had wanted to use this HS for a build ~1.5 months ago (think it was announced 3-4 months ago), but was disappointed to discover it really was unavailable anywhere, which still appears to be the case :(

Well, not that I would have any use for one now =p

I would have picked this up, but I was offered a good price for the Noctua. This thing looks huge! So Im sure the cooling is very very good.

If you are worried about buying from Nan's, they also sell through Amazon too and for the same price. That way you have Amazon guaranteeing that you will have your goods delivered.

Back