• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus 6950 ACU II 2 Gig Graphic issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ryan03

Hi this is my first post and was wondering if anyone could help. I recently built a new system and everything was fine. As of this morning tho every game I open appears wither with scattered black squares and the graphics glitch out and stretch out. I have done basic overclocking but nothing to hectic. I've tried using the newest drivers and reverting with windows default, I've tried formatting and I tried my wife's 4870 (which works fine) as to eliminate any other possible hardware issues which may have been causing the issue. I'm kinda at my whits end and fear something may have happened to the card. I'm going to send it back on Monday. I was just wondering if anyone might have fixed this or may have a possible solution?

My System:
I5 2300 2.8Ghz
Asus 6950 ACU II 2 Gig
Asus P8P67 Motherboard
12 gig DDR 3 ram (1033Mhz)
Cooler Master 550 Watt Power Supply
4 x 1tb Hard Drives

Hi this is my first post and was wondering if anyone could help. I recently built a new system and everything was fine. As of this morning tho every game I open appears wither with scattered black squares and the graphics glitch out and stretch out. I have done basic overclocking but nothing to hectic. I've tried using the newest drivers and reverting with windows default, I've tried formatting and I tried my wife's 4870 (which works fine) as to eliminate any other possible hardware issues which may have been causing the issue. I'm kinda at my whits end and fear something may have happened to the card. I'm going to send it back on Monday. I was just wondering if anyone might have fixed this or may have a possible solution?

My System:
I5 2300 2.8Ghz
Asus 6950 ACU II 2 Gig
Asus P8P67 Motherboard
12 gig DDR 3 ram (1033Mhz)
Cooler Master 550 Watt Power Supply
4 x 1tb Hard Drives

Well most artifracting like you describe is normally heat related; what are the temps like? Normally a card isn't "dead" until it does what you describe at POST. If that's what you are seeing when the PC boots up then yessir she's dead.

Hi Sentential, thanks for the reply. I also thought heat but on my desktop its at about 48 degrees and in game it goes up to 60/70. The night before everything was fine and then outta nowhere this started. I thought maybe I needed a bigger power supply but I'm a bit strapped for cash at this stage. The annoying thing is I upgraded for Battlefield 3 and now I'm worried I wont even have a PC when it comes out.

Hi Sentential, thanks for the reply. I also thought heat but on my desktop its at about 48 degrees and in game it goes up to 60/70. The night before everything was fine and then outta nowhere this started. I thought maybe I needed a bigger power supply but I'm a bit strapped for cash at this stage. The annoying thing is I upgraded for Battlefield 3 and now I'm worried I wont even have a PC when it comes out.

Well power wont be the issue; your wife's HD4870 pulls more juice than does your current card. If you're getting random artifacting and its not heat related as you say it would imply the card is toast (no fault of yours).

If you are desperate and don't care try pushing your video card's RAM clocks down that is the most common issue people run into. See if the tearing goes away; if not try the opposite or both.

I've tried pushing down but still nothing, should I play with voltages via smartdoctor and push everything up there? also if I do this and it does work would it not be better to ship it back for a replacement as the cards slowly failing?

I've tried pushing down but still nothing, should I play with voltages via smartdoctor and push everything up there? also if I do this and it does work would it not be better to ship it back for a replacement as the cards slowly failing?

Ya its worth a shot; you sure this is not a driver issue? Try a different game.

well I've tried 3 different drivers but I'm still getting the issues. The drivers I was initially using were fine for a week. I tried bumping everything up but the issue is still around.

Back