• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Serious heat issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've been without power, heat and Internet for 5 days and am not suppose to get it back for another 5 I'll have to try this then...Bad storm in new England

Sorry to hear about your card. I run two in crossfire and I try to keep them both below 85C max, and below 80C if possible, by using an aggressive custom fan curve.

The thing that usually overheats on these cards are the VRMs. They will overheat before the actual GPU does, which is why it's common to have problems in the ~90C range instead of 100C+ like the GPUs themselves are good for.

Also on these cards dust tends to collect in the space between the two internal heatsinks, and isn't easily removed by simply spraying dust through the fan blades or through the rear exhaust.

My 2x 4870x2 benched better than 560ti SLI so I'm not surprised at all about that also holding true when comparing just one of each card.

That's odd. My 4850 idles at 60C with the fan COMPLETELY off, and then it only gets to 65C under load. That being said, much weaker card. I'm not sure what could have caused that...

Back