• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE HIS MIX with Lucid HydraLogix: "MIX"ing the HD6970 & GTX580

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Definitely a neat feature, especially since it's implemented through a GPU and not a motherboard. MIX/HydraLogix just needs maturing before it will become practical.

The no DP Eyefinity is nice though, saves people from buying an adapter.

I haven't tested that, but it should work, technically. Of course, the hit or miss effectiveness of MIX would still be there...

HIS recommends using the high-end nVidia GPUs when using MIX with the HD6970.

Good info there. That's what I would expect since SLI/CFX is much more mature than HydraLogix. Those Tom's were done with a Hydra chip on the motherboard, so there may be a difference in motherboard and GPU Hydra. Also, does that Tom's HydraLogix review say what chip was being used? Is it the same LT22102 chip as on the HD6970 MIX?

Good info there. That's what I would expect since SLI/CFX is much more mature than HydraLogix. Those Tom's were done with a Hydra chip on the motherboard, so there may be a difference in motherboard and GPU Hydra. Also, does that Tom's HydraLogix review say what chip was being used? Is it the same LT22102 chip as on the HD6970 MIX?

Yes it was the same chip but on the motherboard.

The motherboard results were the same as mine for STALKER: MIX/HydraLogix doesn't utilize both cards in that test, and even hinders the performance of a single card.

It looks like the motherboard implementation may be better than the GPU implementation. In the Tom's chart SLI is 92% better in STALKER. In my results, SLI was 175% better. However, I'm not sure how their methodology compares to ours for STALKER, and they used different cards. Both of those can effect results, so unfortunately a cross review comparison can't really be done to see if mobo Hydra or GPU Hydra is better.

It would be neat to see how the mobo and GPU versions compare to one another with everything constant.

Thank you for the review. I remember being really excited about Hydra when it was first announced years ago, but it seems like the technology hasn't lived up to the hype. Perhaps crossfire and sli scaling has just significantly improved in the past few years, because originally hydra looked promising.

How does it look visually when the amd and nvidia cards are mixed? Because they have different gamma levels and aa levels. How exactly does it work?

Hydra definitely has the potential to be good, as seen in the synthetic tests. However, people buy for results, not potential for results. If they could get results like the synthetics on the majority of games, then they would be a serious competitor to SLI/CFX.

SLI/CFX scaling has improved pretty well, especially with the 6000 and 500 series.

Personally, I can't tell a difference between an nVidia card, an AMD card, and MIX. All settings were controlled by the 3D program and not specifically set in either nVidia Control Panel or Catalyst Control Center, if that's what you mean.

Back