• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This is the first time i have played this series. Can someone tell me how the shout system works. I found a word - do i just shout it at someone. What's supposed to happen?

There isn't much of a tutorial, is that normal. I guess i'm just supposed to play around with everything and see what happens right?

This is the first time i have played this series. Can someone tell me how the shout system works. I found a word - do i just shout it at someone. What's supposed to happen?

There isn't much of a tutorial, is that normal. I guess i'm just supposed to play around with everything and see what happens right?
Press Z
When you visit the "grey wardens" they will train you how to use your shout and you get another. When you kill a Dragon you absorb its energy thus infusing any "Shouts" you learn. Press Tab/Magic/Shouts there you will see your first one. The rest that appear you can unlock once you kill a dragon. as for getting more shouts...there are certain dungeons that have them. I found 3 easy enough so I wont spoil where to look...just have fun exploring.:)

edit...you are right at the beginning of the game, dont worry, the story unfolds nicely and everything is explained...mostly. Part of the fun is figuring a few things out....like smithing or alchemy etc

Press Z
When you visit the "grey wardens" they will train you how to use your shout and you get another. When you kill a Dragon you absorb its energy thus infusing any "Shouts" you learn. Press Tab/Magic/Shouts there you will see your first one. The rest that appear you can unlock once you kill a dragon. as for getting more shouts...there are certain dungeons that have them. I found 3 easy enough so I wont spoil where to look...just have fun exploring.:)

edit...you are right at the beginning of the game, dont worry, the story unfolds nicely and everything is explained...mostly. Part of the fun is figuring a few things out....like smithing or alchemy etc

Ok thanks. I've been running around doing side quests so far. I ran into a wizard who was far stronger than me and i could only beat him by running around a huge column in circles and shooting him when he got bored and walked away. It took me ages but it was great for my sneak score.

havent found a thread that deals with Catalyst settings yet, so I hope this fits here.

Getting horrible fps while playing. I have disable X-fire but still hitting between 20-35 outside during the daytime.

Is this a "wait till they release new drivers/OC Profiles" problem or have I missed something here?

I can play BF3/SC2 maxed out with 85+ fps.

The game is freaking awesome, just wish I could enjoy it with more then 30 fps.

FPS messured with fraps.

Is there a faster way to swap weapons/spells more efficiently or is the "favorites" the only way to go? My character is hybrid battle mage and I'm constantly switching between my bow/dagger and spells. I was wondering if there is a way to streamline the process (make the swap quicker). Kind of a pain in the butt to have to open favorites then left/right click spells, then rinse repeat for the bow.

Is there a faster way to swap weapons/spells more efficiently or is the "favorites" the only way to go? My character is hybrid battle mage and I'm constantly switching between my bow/dagger and spells. I was wondering if there is a way to streamline the process (make the swap quicker). Kind of a pain in the butt to have to open favorites then left/right click spells, then rinse repeat for the bow.

As far as I know, the "Favorites" menu is the faste was to do it. Since the game pauses while your selecting your weapons, I am able to switch from my bow to my Orc ax/Shield with out much trouble if I dont kill what Im shooting at with a single arrow.

As far as I know, the "Favorites" menu is the faste was to do it. Since the game pauses while your selecting your weapons, I am able to switch from my bow to my Orc ax/Shield with out much trouble if I dont kill what Im shooting at with a single arrow.

I have a major problem with that, dual-wielding daggers with the same name it just displays "Dagger (2)", using the favorites to switch to healing removes one dagger or the other but going back to the dagger will only allow me to equip one or the other depending on the trigger i pull, rather than separating them. So i'm having to go into my inventory, find the dagger and manually equip them every time i switch between bow, spells or anything else and it's a pain in the ***.

As of right now (until a mod comes along) the favorites menu is the fastest way to do it, and fortunately is a lot better than how it used to be (from what I remember).

I have a major problem with that, dual-wielding daggers with the same name it just displays "Dagger (2)", using the favorites to switch to healing removes one dagger or the other but going back to the dagger will only allow me to equip one or the other depending on the trigger i pull, rather than separating them. So i'm having to go into my inventory, find the dagger and manually equip them every time i switch between bow, spells or anything else and it's a pain in the ***.

Hmmm you have a point. I will have to go home and look into the key-bind settings and see if there is a way to hot-key a weapon. With my bow, ax-shield combo, I havent encountered the problem you mention.

Will repost once I have an answer.

Found this on some random website:

"•You can hotkey your favorite items by opening the favorite menu (Q), highlighting the item and click 1-8 buttons on your keyboard"

EDIT: Also, has anyone played much on Master difficulty? I have started out with Expert and it seems to be a nice balance of challenging play but not too challenging. I remember on Oblivion that the hardest difficulty was pretty much impossible to play.

Last edited:
I wish books didn't weigh anything though as I would just pick them all up instead of glancing over them to guess which ones give skillups.
Normally the more expensive books are the skillbooks. There are also books that mark certain locations on your map or give you a miscellaneous quest.

Back