• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
SMIM shouldn't be a problem. In fact, it is one of the mods included in the Texture Pack Combiner. :D

Alternatively, you could go the Tropical Skyrim route. :p
1294396_508503272567410_258631884_o.jpg

Nice! Hadn't seen that Darknecron...thanks. Looks good for when it's really cold and wintry outside.

OK...below are other ones that I've used or am now thinking of using. Thoughts? Are any of these not needed based on the other ones listed in the last few posts?

Really want to make sure the 3d works properly and get as much visual richness as possible. Since 3d sucks over 50% of my total potential fps, I know there's going to need to be some tradeoffs. :/ Am thinking quests, armor, etc won't have much effect/overhead so guess I'm asking for guidance on all the visual stuff only (for now)

- Enhanced Night Skyrim
- No More Blocky Faces
- Enhanced Distant Terrain
- Serious HD Retexture Skyrim
- Detailed Faces v2
- Realistic Ragdolls and Force
- BOSS
- Realistic Smoke and Embers
- Better Dynamic Snow
- STEP - Skyrim Total Enhancement Project

Nice! Hadn't seen that Darknecron...thanks. Looks good for when it's really cold and wintry outside.

OK...below are other ones that I've used or am now thinking of using. Thoughts? Are any of these not needed based on the other ones listed in the last few posts?

Really want to make sure the 3d works properly and get as much visual richness as possible. Since 3d sucks over 50% of my total potential fps, I know there's going to need to be some tradeoffs. :/ Am thinking quests, armor, etc won't have much effect/overhead so guess I'm asking for guidance on all the visual stuff only (for now)

- Enhanced Night Skyrim
- No More Blocky Faces
- Detailed Faces v2
- Realistic Ragdolls and Force
- BOSS
- Better Dynamic Snow
- STEP - Skyrim Total Enhancement Project

- Enhanced Night Skyrim
- Better Dynamic Snow

All of these are included in the Texture Pack Combiner.

BOSS is a must. Not a mod, but a utility to make sure the mods load in the correct order.

And don't worry, NOBODY can max this game's settings (I can build a stable config file that will drop a quad-Titan rig to its knees...on a single 1080p screen). Everyone that mods has to work around trade-offs.

Last edited:
Arghhhh! Getting frustrated.

Installed the game. It auto-detected 5760x1080 so no need to edit the .ini file. Had to use widescreen fixer to get it looking right. When I start the game, though (so at the main menu screen)...the mouse will only go as far left and right as the edges of the middle monitor. :( The other weird thing is that the mouse (and sometimes keyboard) lose power when connected to the main kbd/mouse usb ports on the motherboard. Moved those to 2 different ports but still only works in middle monitor.

Tried re-setting all bios settings to default just in case there was an issue with the mobo/cpu/usbports...didn't make a difference.

Ideas?

update: seems to be a steam problem. Uninstalled and re-installing now. Sucks to download the games again

Last edited:
Something to add: It seems my Skyrim is now running more or less stable using 122 mod files, a huge amount, (i guess no Bethesda game is fully stable, thats a fail proof fact) but i experience performance issues in general although hardware, especially GPU, is at very low load. The main reason i think is 3 factors:

1. Amount of RAM usage in general, its beyond the level the engine can securely handle, so every little bit my system can spare is useful. When i use to much background tasks, even if they have been closed during Gameplay, the system is still having many "bloated data" inside the RAM and it is becoming a serious issue inside a hard modded Skyrim environment. The VRAM is constantly at the 19xx MB range, it is basically used up to the very edge it can handle... and i am sure it would be of advantage in term i have more than 2 GB VRAM, and i mean @1080P and i use 36 cell buffer settings (thats low... it can go much higher in theory but may cause script and RAM issues). Now lets say, the VRAM is full to the max of 2 GB, the main RAM is full to the max of 4 GB (extended) because it is a 32 bit software, there is no way it would be able to surpass the limitation (unless a special server engine may be added for unlocked 32 bit systems, but thats not the case). In theory the game will instantly crash in term the 4 GB limit exceeded, but the script engine injector (SKSE) may use a trick in order to prevent such a crash, so it will use pagefile memory that could be used on 64 bit systems, however the drawback is a big hit in performance.

Im not exactly sure about the mechanisms involved but thats my theory. One thing is clear: A modded Skyrim with 2K textures is a serious RAM hog and the RAM demand is a main culprit for game modding or performance of such games. No, it is not the GPU, as long as there is issues with RAM management, the GPU is unable to work properly.

2. The modded (122 plugin) Skyrim is scripted the hard way... i guess it is the game on planet earth with highest amount of scripts... it is a hard task to handle. But i am not sure the exact bottleneck the scripts are causing, because neither CPU nor GPU is at high load, i guess the engine is simply surpassing its natural limitations and is now suffering.

3. Noticed a driver issue too, however, the engine is fighting for ressources all the time. When i play for extended period and watch the hardware monitor i see that sometimes the peformance is magically dropping a lot, GPU usage will be reduced and at the same time a huge memory load at the pagefile... issue is clearly visible, a huge 7.5+ GB pagefile and a engine that can only handle 32 bit. I guess we have to say goodbye to 32 bit today (at the point when the game is modded the hard way and when we need amazing SKSE scripts to make it barely run) and Skyrim may be the last game of that spec, since it is already above the limit...

Ultimately, Skyrim got a engine that is not very taxing and can give good performance on weak hardware. However, the engine is not using the ressources from high end systems properly (it is made for weak systems in mind with rather high CPU usage but low GPU demand), it will become a issue when the game is modded up to the very peak...

Ultimately i can say, when the GPU is getting enough of juice, at 99% load (100% is unrealistic no matter what game) my modded Skyrim at the most demanding situation is able to deliver around 20-30 FPS, thats barely playable but for a RPG it still works. In term i want stable 60 FPS i would need three times the power of a 7870 or 270*, thats a huge GPU demand in theory... but the bottleneck is at the RAM spot so it may not be the stuff that matters. Although thats in open-world, dungeon and city is far less demanding. But lets say the dungeon and city is seamless integrated such as Morrowind, the engine will have even higher issues handling a modded Skyrim, so it was unrealistic from the beginning, although there is some mods able to make it possible, it is a hard cookie and it can cause serious performance issues and stability impact too.

*Thats without shader mod (just Vanilla) or enhanced post processing ENB, so its not even nearly the max demand possible, and i dont mean 4k resolution... 1080P is sufficient to crack even the strongest GPU dependable on mods added.
On the other hand i have to say... today Skyrim got so many crazy graphic mods and up to 4k textures carefully made... i would say it is the best looking RPG ever made in term the best looking mods added all at once. Thats hard to make it true, it will need a monster PC and the engine will moan all the time with 10+ GB pagefile and engine/memory hack. Needless to say... SKSE is the most important mod for everyone who want to mod Skyrim the hard way... there is no workaround at all.

Last edited:
What?

Like many, I had all kinds of issues with mods...until I began to follow the S.T.E.P. Project. It has really been amazing. Before? Constant crashes. After? One crash early on and never again. The game plays absolutely flawless (over 100 hours played since initial crash). The STEP Project recommends mid-range textures most of the time. I've chosen many 4k textures because I know my system can handle it. The only time I begin to get slowdowns is with ENB's. Each one has different parameters, and certain parameters can heavily influence performance which is primarily video card dependent. I'm rather picky about the visual enhancements ENB's provide, so most of the time I just run vanilla (no ENB). However, you can tweak each ENB, or even create your own.

Ivy, you are aware of the Large Address Aware patch that allows the game to utilize more than 2 GB of RAM for 64-bit systems? I highly recommend it and a 64-bit OS. The bottom line is the game is heavily GPU dependent and you will never get 60fps at high settings without some serious GPU power. You can, however, get the game running smoothly with a decent GPU and proper graphic management. And yes, it can still look great.

You cannot blame this on mods alone. Many mods have issues, but that is due to the creator of such mod. Many mods, including the official releases, require cleaning. Scripts are not the problem. Proper management of scripts is the problem. For performance issues, particularly framerate problems with "HD" mods, they require strong video cards because they are dealing with large textures. If you want better performance, you need a better system, preferably one with a video card with a minimum of 3 GB of video RAM so that it can properly process large textures.

I do not use 4k textures*, totaly overkill and very taxing, its just for "screen archers", i use 1-2k, mostly 2k, thats fine and 4 times higher than Vanilla. In term i use 4k textures, i would need a 3-4 GB VRAM card first, thats certain. I own a 64 bit system, my sig is ... right below. *Actually that counts for land mods of all kind. I may use 4k for character or dragon textures but thats a exception, landmass would be way to taxing at 4k. There is indeed some dragon textures out there considered to be the best textures ever made and they are between 4k and 8k (up to 8k with occlusion effects adding a layer of deepness, thats crazy), a really huge resolution with a rate of detail rarely ever seen on any game or graphics at all. But using such textures i will have to suffer on cell-settings, i only use 36 grid standart setting but it can handle those super high res dragons without problems in exchange.

The STEP project is well known to me but it lacks many of the mods i would enjoy to use. In theory mods can be "cleaned" using TES5edit but some mods do not require cleaning and it may not be a good idea, because they already has been cleaned and it is not always recommended and of course additional work which is able to break a lot in term user is inexperienced. I use the TES5edit in order to sort load order, i would rather use a patch in order to merge files, which is kinda the stuff STEP is doing, for increased compatibility and lesser or no conflicts.

STEP isnt merging everything, they just try to make a "lore friendly" approach it seems.

As far as i know the game can already utilize more than 2 GB simply (usually 32 bit systems wont allow above 2 GB for single application, simply by design and totally outdated nowadays) by throwing out the system so it doesnt take away the 32 bit space or something like that (i dont have exact knowledge how they do it), so i dont need a "adress fix", it was done by Bethesda themself but its also done by the SKSE which is basically doing a memory hack. The VRAM is big potential because it can pick up space without hurting the 32 bit adress space. Usualy on "non unified" systems (most PCs are not unified) the VRAM is copied twice, main and VRAM, that is very ineffective but the issue of non unified system. However, as far as i know the new GPUs are able to handle most of the data without splitting and sharing the data (just a minor amount is shared), but im really to less knowledgeable to tell the details how it works.

You can read it at the autors note "no longer needed", because it has been patched by Bethesda on a newer version. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/134/? However, its not the pinnacle... the SKSE may expand it even more.

Although... CTD or stability itself is a conflict related problem because mods either not cleaned or incompatible... but the performance is a issue that is mostly memory related, in that term the GPU is not fully utilized anymore, a perfect working GPU should always be above 90% load, unless the FPS cap is enabled (60 in usual). Bad scripts may lower performance but even worse... it can cause CTD. Conflicts... well its basically the term when 2 or more mods are trying to access the same ressource, in that term the engine may become unstable or even CTD instantly. But there is internal and external conflicts possible, conflicts a mod is creating by itself or when paired with other mods... so the conflict situation is a rather messy thing and one of the stuff hardest to solve i feel. Best way to prevent: Look out for compatible mods (with each others) and hopefully carefully cleaned of "internal conflicts". However, even Bethesdas main game isnt free of bugs and conflicts... thats why so many "unofficial patches" has been released. But have to be careful because those patches may not create a conflict with the main game but with mods that are designed without the patches in mind.... Easy? Well no... its simply modding. Compatibility is most important... and thats the spot many mods are lacking because created by individuals not trying to work together...
When im modding i try to avoid such conflicts as much as possible and i try to get mods that had a lot of finetuning, but not always possible because simply "under development".

Load order is the easyest thing to manage... all it takes is a short run on TES5edit and it will check for missing ressources, the true mess is the possible conflicts. Usualy the Nexus manager is sorting the order correct but not always... so i always let the TES5 run the files... sometimes Nexus manager was screwing up.

Regarding the scripts and that they are not a problem isnt entirely how i think. Scripts are putting load on the engine and the engine isnt without bounds... it got certain limitations and it can become unstable when to many scripts. Luckily a script extender is able to help out on many issues but the engine itself got many limitations and scripts that are going past its natural capabilitys are causing high stress and can decrease stability, even with the support of SKSE it is still additional stress and even more possible odds, not even Bethesda themself are able to remove "all the odds"... and they should be able to know theyr work (ok im not that sure...).

I guess i already told, my system is running at up to 7.5 GB pagefile and 2 GB VRAM, in total 9.5+ GB RAM used on all ressources, so you see without a 64 bit system i may be totaly busted... because when the pagefile have to be stored outside RAM area, there is nothing that can make the game playable anymore. I have already seen the main RAM hitting the 8 GB mark without any background tasks, so the myth some player are shouting "no game is using more than 8 GB and no one need 16 GB, it is simply not true".

Last edited:
Back