• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon 6970 - Scratching Noise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fox Two Zero

Registered
Hello!

It should be said that I bought the computer (including the GPU) that I'm talking about last Friday. I've emailed the company to discuss the issue, but thought you guys might have some insight too! :)

So as aforementioned I bought a lovely new computer. It's got an ATI Radeon 6970 2GB graphics card in it. It runs absolutely fine (BF3 on Ultra - phwoar) and there haven't been any hiccups aside from a couple of BF3 crashes (but I don't think they were to do with the GPU).

The problem is that when idle, the GPU sets its fan speed to ~20% (viewable in the Catalyst Control Centre). When the fan speed sits at anywhere between ~20-35% it makes a rather disconcerting, pulsating scratching noise. It's like a hard-drive reading sound, but every one a bit seconds. If I increase the fan speed to ~40% or above the noise goes away.

I've checked inside the case and there isn't anything obvious that the fan is catching on.

Like I said, I've emailed the company about this, but does anybody have any idea what this might be? Am I damaging the card by using it?

Thanks very much in advance - your help is much appreciated!

If it is only related to the fan speed, it seems like a defect of the fan itself. As long as it isn't too loud, I wouldn't worry about it. Fans can make odd noises at certain speeds. If you are worried about it, you could always request an RMA for the card.

Aye that's most probably what I'm going to do. It's not horrendously loud, though it is noticeable. As I said it just sounds as if a hard disk drive is constantly being stressed.

I'm assuming then that there's no common problems that display themselves through scratchy-sounding fans? :)

Besides noise and annoyance? Not really.

There is a chance the fan will die sooner. Since it doesn't do it at all speeds, it likely will be fine.

I have this problem kind of with my 2x 6950s. The cards flex a good bit in my machine and I just slightly lifted up the top card and as of now the noise hasn't reappeared.

When you say 'lifted up'...
Surely it would just bend back down again if that were the case?

Can't wait to hear back from the company, though. It sounds like there's an asthmatic droid hiding in my computer case.

Yeah you are right but I could've repositioned the plastic shield on the top card somehow which prevented the contact issue?

Ah ok. I tried prodding and poking a bit but it still does it. :D I'll wait to hear back and hopefully just get an RMA. It's under warranty, after all.

Back