• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help quickly - setup 4 HD6870 X2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fi011

Hi guys. Do you think that my configuration would make bottleneck with Powercolor HD6870 X2?

My configuration is following:
Phenom II 980 x4 4,0GHz / 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Kingston HyperX blu / M4N98TD EVO / Gainward GTX470 / Samsung 2TB / LCpower Veritas 920R / Acer P236H / Chieftec CTG-600 600W

Also, do you think my PSU would be enough for this beast?

Quick responses are highly appreciated, because I would be getting that card tomorrow.

Thanks in advance...

Are you sure? Because recently, I had one GTX480 in my rig, and my CPU is clocked to 4.0 and I had LGU issues. In Crysis, Metro, I had 23 fps, and it didnt went smooth. In CoD BC I had GPU usage on 50 percent, in Witcher 2 too. Then I put MSI OC GTX 570 and it ran just fine until I killed it with voltage on 1.1 :(. Now I took it to warranty, and I hope they will accept it, because I changed cooler to Xtreme Accelero Plus. I returned the reference cooler, but I m worried 4 my warranty, because the card was opened, and on some screws there are some marks from the screwdriver. Any opinions on that issue too? :(((

You listing several issues in your 2nd post which confuses matters, your CPU should not hold any of those cards back at 1920x1080 as per your initial question

You listing several issues in your 2nd post which confuses matters, your CPU should not hold any of those cards back at 1920x1080 as per your initial question

Sorry for confusion.

Ok, ill try to be more clear.

On my rig I put GTX480, and I had LGU - low gpu usage, and it didnt ran well. As I said I had low fps in Crysis and Metro, altough my GPU usage in MSI afterburner was on 99 %, but in COD and Witcher 2 I had GPU usage on 50 %, and experienced lagging. Then I changed to GTX 570 and everything was fine. Im talking about full hd resolutions, of course. So now Im wondering will I have same issues as with GTX480, because clearly my CPU was problem with GTX480 sue to poor optimisation for AMD with Fermi. And ofcourse 6870 X2 is a beast, much greater then GTX480.

Another problem that Id need answer too, altough it is offtopic:
I burned GTX570 by overclocking and changing voltage to 1.1. It had accelero Xtereme Plus cooler, so it was opened, and some screws had marks from screwdriver. I put it back in original state - returned referent cooling, and took it to seller to claim my warranty. I know that they cannot see that I changed voltage and burned the card, but it can be opserved that I opened the card. I can say that I cleaned it, or that I put aftermarket cooling solution. But Im worried that I voided my warranty by opening the card.

I hope my problems are more clear now. Help is apreciated.

Sorry 4 my bad english.

Firstly I still don't thing your Phenom would hold back any card unless you maybe go SLI or CF on high end card, sound like you having some driver issues.

Then MSI warrantee covers you taking of the stock cooler, so unless you visibly damaged the card they will replace it if it is defective, so dont worry about that

Thanks

Firstly I still don't thing your Phenom would hold back any card unless you maybe go SLI or CF on high end card, sound like you having some driver issues.

Then MSI warrantee covers you taking of the stock cooler, so unless you visibly damaged the card they will replace it if it is defective, so dont worry about that

Thanks for responses. I truly hope you are right, and I will continue with that setup if they allow my warranty.
Also, card is not damaged in any way, everything is on place, so I hope that they will replace it with a new one.

I asked in MSI forum, and I got the answer that changing the cooler voids the warranty...

I have RMA'd a few cards in my years here, ask around....one of the most recent was a MSI card I took subzero, it had a nice coat of conformal on it and I successfully got a brand new replacements.
It is quite ok if you don't believe me.

I have RMA'd a few cards in my years here, ask around....one of the most recent was a MSI card I took subzero, it had a nice coat of conformal on it and I successfully got a brand new replacements.
It is quite ok if you don't believe me.

Ok, I belive you are right, also, tomorrow Ill probably know the answer cause I gave them the card in Saturday. I dont get the end of your sentence. You changed the cooler, card broke, and you delivered to resseler with original cooler and they replaced it?

Some people tell me that I could have microstuttering problems with dual gpu card like 6870 X2. What do you think about that?

Btw, if your ok with budget, would you choose 570, 6970 or 6870 X2? 580 is out of question...

Why would you choose 6970 instead of much faster 6870 X2? Cause of microstuttering problems and bad cf scaling?

6970 will run any game at max, it has 2 GB if VRAM and runs much cooler than the X2.
Scaling us good, microstuttering is a known issue and driver related with CF.

Back