• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU's Not at full power?!?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JamesFtw

Registered
Hi basically im running 2x 5870s and the run all games fine but sometimes my frames drop to around 40fps on bf3 on high preset(multiplayer)
I know my 965 stock is letting me down a bit but when i check MSI both cards are running aroung 50%....so thats basically 1 card..
I only have a 650w PSU so do you reckon it just aint getting enough juice?

Cheers in advance.

You need the application profile off AMD's website, it's a patch to drivers to help with BF3 Crossfire performance.

650W seems a little low for dual 5870s though.

I have a similar setup (HD5970) and have a similar issue. Going to check out the driver and see if it helps.

Otherwise, it could be that the cards are bottlenecked by the VRAM as I have heard that BF3 can use more than 1GB.

hmm i have the new patch ...11.9 and to be fair that has made it worse,might go back to 11.8 for now

I think it is your processor bottleneck. I had a 965 at 3.8 with my sig setup and was only getting 50-70% GPU utilization on each card. Switching to the 2500K both cards are at 95-99% usage and my minimum frames on maps like Caspian nearly doubled from like 25 to 55-60. Don't think the 965 is strong enough to provide enough data to both cards, at least in BF3.

yes defeanaly a 2500k and a new psu at next payday..but ive just done the cap 4 thing and just realised my gpu 1 says driver 7.XXXXX and gpu 2 says 7.XXXXXX then 11.9
so what ever i downloaded has only applied to one card.
How can i get it to the second?

cheers again;

I have a similar setup (HD5970) and have a similar issue. Going to check out the driver and see if it helps.

Otherwise, it could be that the cards are bottlenecked by the VRAM as I have heard that BF3 can use more than 1GB.

Not sure if you mean VRAM or system RAM. I went to check out my RAM usage during BF3 and the damn thing is taking up nearly all 4GB... My cards somehow clock an average usage of 75% on both... BF3 is a monster.

Is xfire actually enabled via CCC control panel? It seems odd that it would only apply to one card, in fact it doesn't even seem possible :shock:

Not sure if you mean VRAM or system RAM. I went to check out my RAM usage during BF3 and the damn thing is taking up nearly all 4GB... My cards somehow clock an average usage of 75% on both... BF3 is a monster.

Is xfire actually enabled via CCC control panel? It seems odd that it would only apply to one card, in fact it doesn't even seem possible :shock:
got a pic in my other therad if u wanna check it out :D

Back