• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Compatibility of Thermalright Macho HR-02 in Mobo Chipset

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IJAHman

hi guys! I'm a newbie here and to the OC world! I'm planning to buy a heatsink called Thermalright Macho HR-02 (which muddocktor has a review) and wondering if there's any issue (or does it have specific chipset in mobo) when it comes to mobo? Mine is only GA-EP43-US3L, and my cpu is only Q8400. Tried to OC it, but eventually get hooter in full load (heatsink is only a free wheni bought my CPU). I know that it supports socket 775, so mine will be compatible, the only problem that bothers me is the chipset of my mobo. Any help and suggestion would be much appreciated. BTW, i also have a Thermaltake Xaser III Chasis, any problem with my chasis too?

The Macho you bought is for the CPU only. It has brackets for your CPU.

The chipset on the mobo is completly seperate and already has it's own cooling setup on it.

So don't worry about it. The CPU cooler should fit into your case, if it's too tall, then you will have to leave the cover off the side.

As long as Gigabyte followed Intel's "keep out" design rules for clearance around the socket (and Gigabyte is generally pretty good about that), you should have no problems. I did test fit the Macho on a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R mobo and had no interference problems with the heatsink and northbridge cooler.

If the Xaser III has a side-fan, you may need to mount the fan on the outside of the case. I had to do this with my Armor full-tower when I installed my TRUE.

If the Xaser III has a side-fan, you may need to mount the fan on the outside of the case. I had to do this with my Armor full-tower when I installed my TRUE.

Yeah my Xaser has a side fan. So, how do I mount the fan on the outside of the case? Do you have snapshot of it, so I have an idea what to do. Thanks. :)

BTW, do I need to put some Thermal paste (is that what is called?) when I replace my heatsink with the new one? Any Instructions from you guys.

Thanks for all the responses.:thup:

Yeah my Xaser has a side fan. So, how do I mount the fan on the outside of the case? Do you have snapshot of it, so I have an idea what to do. Thanks. :)

BTW, do I need to put some Thermal paste (is that what is called?) when I replace my heatsink with the new one? Any Instructions from you guys.

Thanks for all the responses.:thup:
Here's a photo with mine (performance-pcs fan, not stock) outside of the case. I need to pick up an elastic band or something to cover the outside, but I'm lazy:

For mounting the fan outside, I just swapped the mounting screws around and super-glued the grill to the outside. I don't have a screw on the 4th point (where the HSF is) as it would block the cooler, but the other 3 hold it tightly enough.

The Macho should come with some paste. If it's not pre-applied, and it comes with Chill Factor III, use that as it's actually pretty good (I switched to it from AS5 as it's easier to apply). If it doesn't come with paste you can use your own (MX-4/AS5/etc).

Thanks!
Did you installed your PSU sidewards? I mean, my PSU fan is at the bottom (which you can't see the fan if your looking at the side panel.) Is that the correct way of installing the PSU?

So I have my Thermalright HR-02 Macho installed, and yes I had to mount my side-fans outside the case (as grumperfish said). But really don't have any idea doing this. Maybe I'll just leave it open or close the case without side-fan. Is it OK if I close it without any (intake) side-fans? Really need your suggestions here guys, thanks in advance.

BTW, I also put my 2 exhaust fan outside the case (Heatsink won't fit neither) but I think it's just fine. Is it?

Yeah, there is no problem with mounting the exhaust fans on the back side of the case. I did that myself when I was using my Antec clone case for heatsink testing. As for mounting the side door fan on the outside of the door, that isn't hard to do either. What I have done when doing this is to pull the wires out of the groove through the fan frame and just leave them hanging to the inside of the door and plug the side door fan into a mobo header. I still have 1 case at the house in service that I am doing this with; it's an older Cooler Master case I had modded a long time ago that was too narrow for present tall heatsinks, so I cut a window in the door and made a wooden spacer to mount the window on the door with to give me enough width to mount today's heatsinks in the old case.

muddocktor, how do I control the fan of Thermalright Macho? Do I need to tweak some settings in my bios or just in my easytune 6 program?

I would think that the Easytune 6 software would have some kind of fan control settings screen in it. I'm not running any Gigabyte boards at the house at present, so I can't say for sure though. If it's like the Asus software I messed with, there is a screen where you can control speed ramp up vs temps.

Back