Alert-- New Wii revision

I bought a wii with the new super mario bros bundle. It is the box with a huge picture of Mario riding Yoshi, black unit. It does NOT have gamecube controller ports and is not backwards compatible, nor does it include the vertical stand. I was not warned pre purchase. Buyer beware .

Also the included game does not come in a 'case' just a paper jacket. Its a fun game though. Wanted everyone to know they did a silent revision.

Ya I know whats a guy with a 580 doing with a wii but I enjoy some of the games... ...
    Last edited by Theocnoob; 11-10-11 at 06:26 AM.
    Theocnoob's fistula news- all fistula, all the time!
    10/31/14- Happy Halloween! Taking the fistula trick or treating today. Dressing it as a Romulan from Star Trek!

Senior Headphone Guru
    It was announced, though not very well, in the media they were releasing a version of Wii with the reduced backwards capability.

Did it not say on the package at all that it did not have the backwards compatibility functionality?

It didn't say on the package!
    10/31/14- Happy Halloween! Taking the fistula trick or treating today. Dressing it as a Romulan from Star Trek!

Benching Team Leader
    Grabbed Senior
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    I didn't know Wiis were still being purchased to be honest. That's crap about not having gamecube controller ports though, how are you supposed to play smash brothers?
    Haswell Benching and Gaming: ASRock Z87 OC Formula : Intel i7 4770k w/ Phanteks PH-TC14 : 8GB 2x4GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2666 : MSI, XFX, and Sapphire R9 290X
    Other Components: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB SSD : 2TB Hitachi : Silverstone Strider Gold 1250W and Seasonic Platinum 1000W : Auria EQ276W 2560x1440

Folding User Stats

That's what I said when I returned it dude. I said "You're already selling the lowest power console, and you won't let me play GC games on it now or even use my GC controller. WTH"

I Called Nintendo and made a formal complaint and said it was totally unfair. The box doesn't say anything about the missing feature. I even looked for fine print. It also includes no vertical stand. Also not mentioned. This is the model that comes in a box with a picture of Mario riding Yoshi and incl the New Super Mario Bros.

Buyers beware.

Quote Originally Posted by Janus67 View Post
    I didn't know Wiis were still being purchased to be honest. That's crap about not having gamecube controller ports though, how are you supposed to play smash brothers?
    No idea. I returned it. I felt it was a matter of principal at that point. I don't like silent revisions. I felt I had been cheated, in my opinion. But yess they are still purchased as you can see hahaha

http://www.nintendo.com/wii/console

Look at the TINY print on their site to tell you it is not gamecube compatible. Seriously. How long did it take you to find? 30 seconds? You need a 28" screen or magnifying glass dude.....SO unfair.
    Last edited by Theocnoob; 11-08-11 at 07:23 PM.

Senior Headphone Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Janus67 View Post
    how are you supposed to play smash brothers?
    same way as everyone else. either hook up the 'classic' controller attachment to the wii-mote or learn to play using the wii-mote.

Benching Team Leader
    Grabbed Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by TollhouseFrank View Post
    same way as everyone else. either hook up the 'classic' controller attachment to the wii-mote or learn to play using the wii-mote.
    /shrug I've never played it anywhere where people didn't use Gamecube controllers unless they were all being used them the poor guy/girl had to use the wii-mote.
    Haswell Benching and Gaming: ASRock Z87 OC Formula : Intel i7 4770k w/ Phanteks PH-TC14 : 8GB 2x4GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2666 : MSI, XFX, and Sapphire R9 290X
    Other Components: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB SSD : 2TB Hitachi : Silverstone Strider Gold 1250W and Seasonic Platinum 1000W : Auria EQ276W 2560x1440

Folding User Stats

Heatware Profile
    I was planning on getting this for skyward sword. thanks for the heads up.
    i5 2500k | EVGA GTX 580
    Asus P67 Sabertooth | GSkill 4GB 1600 CL7
    Vertex 3 60GB
    Corsair 650TX | Corsair SE 600T

You are very welcome Dr Deuce. The new Super Mario bros was fun too. I also thought punchout was cool. Both 19.99 now so you might want to try them if they seem up your alley. I didn't like the new Donkey Kong though the movement feels wrong and unrefined. Make sure you get the old revision wii and make sure it is still gamecube compatible and they don't give you this 'new revision' cheaped out version.
    Remember to also buy the component cable kit ($20) with the Wii as it only includes RCA adapters. It looks good on an HDTV via the component cables but remember the actual output from it is only 480P

Quote Originally Posted by TollhouseFrank View Post
    Perhaps, but for me it's a matter of principal dude. I don't feel I was informed as a customer that a certain feature was missing
    I don't remember reading it anywhere on the box. There is only a small note on the Nintendo site mentioning it. I just don't like it when this kind of thing happens and I felt offended by it.

I am not knocking Nintendo or Wii. I'm saying I disliked this experience and this is how I reacted to it. That's all.
    Last edited by Theocnoob; 11-10-11 at 06:25 AM.

Benching Team Leader
    Grabbed Senior
    And besides, you can probably find a used one for like $50 on craigslist.

Folding User Stats

35 actually... You never know if that systems been dropped, spilled on or otherwise mistreated or how long it'll last. I prefer to buy new for the warranty and guarantee of perfect function when I can.

I might get back into the wii, with the original revision. It'll take a bit for me to stop being mad at them. I DO like some of their games. I've yet to meet a Super Mario title I didn't like... Graphics are laughable, mind you... I WAS going to get 3DS (They say the Mario Kart on it is the best ever made) but 3 hour battery life? On a mobile gaming device? That made it a no go for me.

So that's that for me and Nintendo for now . Hope this thread at least helped someone (I know one person will be avoiding this rev thanks to this thread) so it was worth posting.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by DR DEUCE View Post
    I was planning on getting this for skyward sword. thanks for the heads up.
    So did you get it? Do you love the new Zelda? People are saying it is great. I sent you a PM to talk about Zelda lol.

Benching Team Leader
    Grabbed Senior
    Hmm, requires wii motion plus which I don't own...

Folding User Stats

I say get it. All reports are that this is among the finest Zeld(ae) ever made. Who can't use an extra Wiimote? They're built in now. Go for it man. Skyward Sword is like THE Zelda game we've been waiting for since Ocarina.
    Once my Nintendrage dies down over the revision, I'll grab a used wii to play Skyward.

Quote Originally Posted by Theocnoob View Post
    I bought a wii with the new super mario bros bundle. It is the box with a huge picture of Mario riding Yoshi, black unit. It does NOT have gamecube controller ports and is not backwards compatible, nor does it include the vertical stand. I was not warned pre purchase. Buyer beware .

Also the included game does not come in a 'case' just a paper jacket. Its a fun game though. Wanted everyone to know they did a silent revision.

Ya I know whats a guy with a 580 doing with a wii but I enjoy some of the games... ...
    get a 3ds so i have someone to play mario kart with come december 4th!
    PC: quad q6600 (G0) @3ghz VID:1.325000v w/ Ocz vendetta 2
    video card: MSI R6950-2PM2D2GD5 Radeon HD 6950
    500gig 16 meg cache hdd, 4 gigs 800 mhz ram
    PS: SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W
    Motherboard: Asus P5K/EPU
    Case: Antec Three Hundred

Quote Originally Posted by Theocnoob View Post
    That's what I said when I returned it dude. I said "You're already selling the lowest power console, and you won't let me play GC games on it now or even use my GC controller. WTH"

I Called Nintendo and made a formal complaint and said it was totally unfair. The box doesn't say anything about the missing feature. I even looked for fine print. It also includes no vertical stand. Also not mentioned. This is the model that comes in a box with a picture of Mario riding Yoshi and incl the New Super Mario Bros.

Buyers beware.

No idea. I returned it. I felt it was a matter of principal at that point. I don't like silent revisions. I felt I had been cheated, in my opinion. But yess they are still purchased as you can see hahaha

http://www.nintendo.com/wii/console

Look at the TINY print on their site to tell you it is not gamecube compatible. Seriously. How long did it take you to find? 30 seconds? You need a 28" screen or magnifying glass dude.....SO unfair.
    just get a used wii on ebay and soft mod it
    PC: quad q6600 (G0) @3ghz VID:1.325000v w/ Ocz vendetta 2
    video card: MSI R6950-2PM2D2GD5 Radeon HD 6950
    500gig 16 meg cache hdd, 4 gigs 800 mhz ram
    PS: SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze 620W
    Motherboard: Asus P5K/EPU
    Case: Antec Three Hundred

I actually got another one for Xmas I have to dump. I have these things. Its the one with the GC ports but what a horrible system. Got Skyward sword too (gag) awful... I can't play this 480P pastel BS. Welcome to 2011 guys it's called voice acting. Just nintendon't... Seriously. Joke company.

The only mod I want to do to any wii is a hard mod. With a claw hammer.