• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alert-- New Wii revision

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

I bought a wii with the new super mario bros bundle. It is the box with a huge picture of Mario riding Yoshi, black unit. It does NOT have gamecube controller ports and is not backwards compatible, nor does it include the vertical stand. I was not warned pre purchase. Buyer beware :).

Also the included game does not come in a 'case' just a paper jacket. Its a fun game though. Wanted everyone to know they did a silent revision.

Ya I know whats a guy with a 580 doing with a wii but I enjoy some of the games... ...

Last edited:
It was announced, though not very well, in the media they were releasing a version of Wii with the reduced backwards capability.

Did it not say on the package at all that it did not have the backwards compatibility functionality?

I didn't know Wiis were still being purchased to be honest. That's crap about not having gamecube controller ports though, how are you supposed to play smash brothers?

That's what I said when I returned it dude. I said "You're already selling the lowest power console, and you won't let me play GC games on it now or even use my GC controller. WTH"

I Called Nintendo and made a formal complaint and said it was totally unfair. The box doesn't say anything about the missing feature. I even looked for fine print. It also includes no vertical stand. Also not mentioned. This is the model that comes in a box with a picture of Mario riding Yoshi and incl the New Super Mario Bros.

Buyers beware.

I didn't know Wiis were still being purchased to be honest. That's crap about not having gamecube controller ports though, how are you supposed to play smash brothers?

No idea. I returned it. I felt it was a matter of principal at that point. I don't like silent revisions. I felt I had been cheated, in my opinion. But yess they are still purchased as you can see hahaha

http://www.nintendo.com/wii/console

Look at the TINY print on their site to tell you it is not gamecube compatible. Seriously. How long did it take you to find? 30 seconds? You need a 28" screen or magnifying glass dude.....SO unfair.

Last edited:
same way as everyone else. either hook up the 'classic' controller attachment to the wii-mote or learn to play using the wii-mote.

/shrug I've never played it anywhere where people didn't use Gamecube controllers unless they were all being used them the poor guy/girl had to use the wii-mote.

You are very welcome Dr Deuce. The new Super Mario bros was fun too. I also thought punchout was cool. Both 19.99 now so you might want to try them if they seem up your alley. I didn't like the new Donkey Kong though the movement feels wrong and unrefined. Make sure you get the old revision wii and make sure it is still gamecube compatible and they don't give you this 'new revision' cheaped out version. :)
Remember to also buy the component cable kit ($20) with the Wii as it only includes RCA adapters. It looks good on an HDTV via the component cables but remember the actual output from it is only 480P

same way as everyone else. either hook up the 'classic' controller attachment to the wii-mote or learn to play using the wii-mote.

Perhaps, but for me it's a matter of principal dude. I don't feel I was informed as a customer that a certain feature was missing :D
I don't remember reading it anywhere on the box. There is only a small note on the Nintendo site mentioning it. I just don't like it when this kind of thing happens and I felt offended by it. ;)

I am not knocking Nintendo or Wii. I'm saying I disliked this experience and this is how I reacted to it. That's all.

Last edited:
And besides, you can probably find a used one for like $50 on craigslist.

35 actually... You never know if that systems been dropped, spilled on or otherwise mistreated or how long it'll last. I prefer to buy new for the warranty and guarantee of perfect function when I can.

I might get back into the wii, with the original revision. It'll take a bit for me to stop being mad at them. I DO like some of their games. I've yet to meet a Super Mario title I didn't like... Graphics are laughable, mind you... I WAS going to get 3DS (They say the Mario Kart on it is the best ever made) but 3 hour battery life? On a mobile gaming device? That made it a no go for me.

So that's that for me and Nintendo for now :). Hope this thread at least helped someone (I know one person will be avoiding this rev thanks to this thread) so it was worth posting.

Cheers.

I say get it. All reports are that this is among the finest Zeld(ae) ever made. Who can't use an extra Wiimote? They're built in now. Go for it man. Skyward Sword is like THE Zelda game we've been waiting for since Ocarina. :)
Once my Nintendrage dies down over the revision, I'll grab a used wii to play Skyward.

I bought a wii with the new super mario bros bundle. It is the box with a huge picture of Mario riding Yoshi, black unit. It does NOT have gamecube controller ports and is not backwards compatible, nor does it include the vertical stand. I was not warned pre purchase. Buyer beware :).

Also the included game does not come in a 'case' just a paper jacket. Its a fun game though. Wanted everyone to know they did a silent revision.

Ya I know whats a guy with a 580 doing with a wii but I enjoy some of the games... ...

get a 3ds so i have someone to play mario kart with come december 4th!

That's what I said when I returned it dude. I said "You're already selling the lowest power console, and you won't let me play GC games on it now or even use my GC controller. WTH"

I Called Nintendo and made a formal complaint and said it was totally unfair. The box doesn't say anything about the missing feature. I even looked for fine print. It also includes no vertical stand. Also not mentioned. This is the model that comes in a box with a picture of Mario riding Yoshi and incl the New Super Mario Bros.

Buyers beware.

No idea. I returned it. I felt it was a matter of principal at that point. I don't like silent revisions. I felt I had been cheated, in my opinion. But yess they are still purchased as you can see hahaha

http://www.nintendo.com/wii/console

Look at the TINY print on their site to tell you it is not gamecube compatible. Seriously. How long did it take you to find? 30 seconds? You need a 28" screen or magnifying glass dude.....SO unfair.

just get a used wii on ebay and soft mod it :)

I actually got another one for Xmas :( I have to dump. I have these things. Its the one with the GC ports but what a horrible system. Got Skyward sword too (gag) awful... I can't play this 480P pastel BS. Welcome to 2011 guys it's called voice acting. Just nintendon't... Seriously. Joke company.

The only mod I want to do to any wii is a hard mod. With a claw hammer.

Back