• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDD failed now i'm not sure what to do

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Artemis-X

Registered
RMA'ed the HDD its on its way back to the black hole that is newegg with all my hopes and dreams that my new rig would be problem free. Thats what i get for going against OC's forum recommendations! haha Anyways i still have my SSD that i had setup for SRT. 64 gig and all so now i need to know (i read around that its hard to fully do if not impossible) should i just format it? Once my new HDD comes Install Windows on the HDD and format it then? or how can i do it before? Or should i even do it would it make a difference?

i just don't want to possibly write onto it the same data and waste 2x the space.

I don't think it would hurt to just go ahead and format the SSD if it will just be used for SRT anyway, may as well start it fresh.

is there any special thing i have to do in order to do that though?

also was thinking of installing the OS on the SSD and then checking that nothing else was damaged

ok so i'm thinking of buying a 2nd HDD to have 2 in total when my replacement comes in.

Would it cause any kind of trouble to my current set up? 2 HDDs and an SSD how would that effect SRT?

OR how about i get a second SSD instead? would that make it MUCH faster at all?

Overall I think that you would be wasting the capabilities of the crucial m4 to use it for caching. If you were to get a second SSD I would just get a small 30GB cheap one to use for caching the HDD that you will be getting back. At this point/pricing I wouldn't be buying an HDD because of how expensive they are.

is it faster to have an SSD for cache or just having it used for programs and the OS. i just thought SRT put on it the files that i used the most and read them faster when they were in USE.

I would rather use it for programs and OS given the option.

Back