• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX series and Hyper-V

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
This thread is more as an info if anyone wish to run Hyper-V on new AMD cpus.
It's not really new but I found it helpful for some users so I added it here. Probably most users will never have to use it ;)

Even that Server 2008R2 and cpu are supporting virtualization, it's not possible to run virtual machines without errors so MS made "simple" fix. Main problem is that Server 2008R2 is not supporting AVX so this patch is adding support for AVX instructions. It's working also for Intel SB series.

There is also way to disable AVX feature that should work too - use command " bcdedit /set xsavedisable 1 " in command prompt.

some links:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2568088/en-us

http://blogs.technet.com/b/virtualization/archive/2011/04/30/hyper-v-r2-sandy-bridge-and-avx.aspx

and link to patch:
http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windo...2/Fix369475/7600/free/434304_intl_x64_zip.exe
In case of any problems try to open link using IE ( I couldn't download it with Firefox at home ).

All is working for me on FX-8120 cpu but I noticed that there is no more TurboCore option in AOD that is pretty helpful while oc ( at least on boards without APM option in BIOS ).

Just so you know, ummm, Windows 8 Dev preview supports Hyper-V. ;)

Attachments

• HyperV.PNG
    HyperV.PNG
    35.8 KB · Views: 7,504
I saw that option when I was testing Win8 but it's still early beta ( I didn't even check if virtualization is working ). Most benchmarks for me were running slower than on Win7 so probably not all features are working and I will pass till late beta or final version.

Since it took me many hours of search on the internet and reinstall windows... to find this info, I would like to provide some additional info and error messages.

------------
Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-Hypervisor
Event ID 53
German Error Message:
Fehler beim Start von Hyper-V. Die XSAVE-Konfiguration des Prozessor-CPUID-Endknotens ist nicht kompatibel (Status: 0x4).

English Error Message:
Hyper-V launch failed; Incompatible processor CPUID leaf D XSAVE configuration (status 0x4).
-------------
Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS
Event ID 14098
German Error Message:
Der für den Verwaltungsdienst für virtuelle Computer erforderliche Treiber "Hypervisor" ist deaktiviert oder nicht installiert. Überprüfen Sie die Einstellungen, oder installieren Sie die Rolle für Hyper-V neu.

English Error Message:
'Hypervisor' driver required by the Virtual Machine Management service is not installed or is disabled. Check your settings or try reinstalling the Hyper-V role.
---------------
Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-Worker
Event ID 3112
German Error Message:
Der virtuelle Computer konnte nicht gestartet werden, da der Hypervisor nicht ausgeführt wird. Sie können das Problem möglicherweise mithilfe folgender Aktionen beheben:
1) Stellen Sie sicher, dass die vom Prozessor des physischen Computers verwendete Version der hardwareunterstützten Virtualisierung unterstützt wird.
2) Stellen Sie sicher, dass die hardwareunterstützte Virtualisierung und die hardwareunterstützte Datenausführungsverhinderung im BIOS des physischen Computers aktiviert sind. (Wenn Sie das BIOS bearbeiten, um eine der Einstellungen zu aktivieren, müssen Sie die Stromzufuhr zum physischen Computer ausschalten und dann wieder einschalten. Es reicht nicht aus, den physischen Computer zurückzusetzen.)
3) Wenn Sie Änderungen am Startkonfigurationsdaten-Speicher vorgenommen haben, prüfen Sie diese Änderungen, um sicherzustellen, dass der Hypervisor für einen automatischen Start konfiguriert ist.

English Error Message:
The virtual machine could not be started because the hypervisor is not running. The following actions may help you resolve the problem:%r
1) Verify that the processor of the physical computer has a supported version of hardware-assisted virtualization.
2) Verify that hardware-assisted virtualization and hardware-assisted data execution protection are enabled in the BIOS of the physical computer. (If you edit the BIOS to enable either setting, you must turn off the power to the physical computer and then turn it back on. Restarting the physical computer is not sufficient.)
3) If you have made changes to the Boot Configuration Data store, review these changes to ensure that the hypervisor is configured to launch automatically.
-----------------
Additional Keywords:
AMD Opteron

THANK YOU Woomack:attn: :clap: :ty:

Seems simple but it's not that easy to find this info in the web that's why I made this topic some time ago. I'm glad it could be helpful :thup:

Thank YOu

Woomack, You´re the king of Hyper-V!

Thank YOU! Without You, I would spent 3 days more in searching a solution for this problem, but I guess, I wouldn´t resolve this. AMD-Support shows by the testing tool, that my system and CPU supports Hyper-V.

The same with another testing tool (3 x YES / green colored).

But after installing or importing Machines, they could not start.

I downlaoded the patch from MS You posted and then I tiped the command above in CMD and after restartin Server 2008R2 everything was alright.:D:):clap:

nice :thup: ... I have to finally find some time and play with virtualization as I didn't make much since I started this thread :p

wow, it really works for me. my machine is bulldozer 6100. One thing is wrong I guess.I installed two(2) guest OS(XP and 7) when I run 7, I cannot run XP or vice versa. Is there a new patch for this? Pls. help.

Hey guys, i'm new to this forum.
Since every possible question i could make and ask google sends me to this thread on this forum i'd thought i'd give it a try and dump my question here aswell.

To begin with; my system(server) is an Windows server 2008R2 running on an AMD fx 6100, ASUS M5A88-M, 2x4 GB RAM and some harddrives.
This was an upgrade from my previous system Phenom II x2 and another ASUS motherboard same RAM wich ran everything i wanted it to do perfectly.

Now i'm trying to do the same with my new setup.
And the only thing that's still not working is my Hyper-v.
When i Activate the SVM (secure vertual machine mode) in my bios with the 4 RAM pieces installed, my system won't start up. (I get BIOS thingy, the green ugly loading thingy but after that black screen)
When I on the other hand install just 1, the system starts up normally.

So I'd guess it somthing with the DEP (data execution prevention).
As i couldn't find it in my bios i looked it up at my advanced system options and performance settings. It is turned on.

I have allready installed all possible updates, the hotfix you provided but it still isn't working.
When I turn of SVM i can use my server but not the hyper-v role wich is required ):.

Since no one else is having this problem on the WWW i'm kinda stuck on this problem..
SUX!

Anyone has any suggestions/ideas?
Mayby i'm overlooking something?

Thanks in advance to everyone
and sorry for the 3month bump to this :p

Many Thanks

I don't know where you found the solution, but it was immensely helpful. I tried the hotfix, and that did not do it. The BCDedit solution worked and I truly am grateful. I have been struggling with getting this server up for a while now and this seems to be the last obstacle. Thank you again. :clap::ty::salute:

soon will be 1 year since I made this thread and I didn't even start tests on VM and AMD :p

Hi, thanks for this post trying to set up VDI on Windows Server 2012 VMs running on Hyper-V.

The compatibility check for the Virtualization Host server failed with "Hardware-assisted virtualization is not present on the server".

I'm running an FX-8120 just like you and have the ASUS M5A97 motherboard. I have tried the bcdedit command to disabling AVX does not resolve issue (so I'm assuming the hotfix wont work either if disabling it entirely does not work)

I know I'm supposed to enable No-Execute but I cannot find that or any other synonyms of it in my motherboards UEFI BIOS (NX, XD, EVP, XN... nothing). Can you offer a suggestion?

Thank you

I wish to help but I don't even have FX cpu now to check this issue. If I find something then will add post to this thread but can't promise anything.

I have hope that you get some help on technet forums if noone on OCF will find solution.
Please post in this thread when you solve your issues on Server 2012.

Back