• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAID 0 Setup - Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ekoh

Well, one of my 500GB WD Blacks failed on me, it was in a raid 0 array with its twin brother. I sent it into RMA to WD which I am used to doing, i've had to do tis before on other WD drives, they are pretty cool about it. I just got my shipping email and have been notified I am being sent a 1TB WD Caviar BLUE....awesome...or not...so what about my raid array? I know I can raid them together and loose 500gb from the 1tb drive, but what a waste. Will I run into issues raiding a caviar blue with a caviar black? That is my main question. I could always go back to a single drive, but I enjoyed my raid 0 array for load times in games. What should I do? Any advice?

I know there is the whole flood deali-o in Taiwan, and my thoughts go out to the Taiwanese, and that has screwed up the consumer HDD availability market. I guess it was a bad time to RMA an HDD ya?!

I wouldn't suggest doing RAID with vastly different models and sizes, it is going to perform poor and be prone to issues. Not to mention, you will be missing out on half of the 1 TB drive.

Since you don't "need" RAID for the computer to work, you could run a single drive or buy another 500/1tb to be able to run RAID. We can't decide that portion for you. If it were my drives and I had money to spend, I'd buy a second Blue and put it back in RAID 0.

Thanks for the into thideras! Good advice, considering the skyrocket on hdd prices at the moment, I might throw this into the classifieds and see if anyone is willing to make a trade. I'd say a 1tb blue for a used 500 wd black would be a good trade, the blacks carry a rather nice warranty too (5year).

Back