• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the BEST z68 mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just about any will do. Honestly. Outside of maybe the gigabyte G1 Sniper series motherboards there isnt much difference between them.

Just get one that has all the ports you need, and a solid warranty and call it day.

I really don't have (yet) idea what specs of Asrock Fatality. But as long as it's for extreme gamer, I know it solid rock :thup:. But most member here (as I saw on their sig) are using mobos like Asus P8Z68-V Pro or from Gigabyte (I forgot the model, but something lik ud7), why? Is it because it's really a gamer board or it does have a complete specs that users are looking for? :confused:

Again, there isnt a "gamer" board outside of the G1 Sniper/Assasin series from gigabyte. There is nothing on most other boards that make it a 'gaming' board.

The UD7 is for extreme overclocking (think Dry Ice and LN2). Unless you are going that route, then its not worth the cost to you.

A typical $150-$180 board will suffice for your needs.

Its the one that you spend as much on as you are willing to, serves its purpose for you, and lasts the longest.

Again, there isnt a "gamer" board outside of the G1 Sniper/Assasin series from gigabyte. There is nothing on most other boards that make it a 'gaming' board.

The UD7 is for extreme overclocking (think Dry Ice and LN2). Unless you are going that route, then its not worth the cost to you.

+1 to this. There really is no real reason for the average consumer to spend $200 or more on a motherboard if they want to do some mild overclocking and normal use. People who benchmark may be able to take a nicer board to their limits, but for general purposes there is no real advantage (unless there is a feature that you specifically want in a more $$ board) that you can't get out of one that costs $150-$175ish.

I would agree with this to some extent but I would add that IMO any $200 board will do fine for benching and you really only need the high end boards (like UD7) for tri-SLI as they have NF200. For a "gaming" board G1 Sniper 2 has a built in NIC and soundcard so you are going to get better sound and ping than a $200 range board. ASUS also has "Black" version of RIVE but they cost a fortune and are difficult to find.

Problem is, with benching, some ~$200 dont have onboard debug or power/reset/cmos buttons, and voltage read points... If boards have those features around $200, then of course they are fine...agreed.

I find debug to be useless and UD7 doesnt even have voltage read points does it? That stuff is nice to have but really not necessary. Shorting pins with a screwdriver works fine and I doubt many benchers will pay the premium for such features. In the past you bought the top boards for the VRM and such but with SB and a Mhz cap anything in the $200 range will do the trick. You really dont need more than 1.6v to max out any chip anyway.

The only difference is that some motherboards tend to be a little more Bclk friendly with SB CPUs, but for 99% of users Bclk isn't even touched.

One thing to consider with SB / Z68 boards is Gen 3 support. Seems that ASRock, ASUS, MSI have full Gen 3 boards... with Gigabyte having one fully Gen 3 and many that support IB but not PCIe 3.0.

How about the Asus P8Z68-V Pro? What can you say about this board. Advatage and disadvantages of this board to other Z68 mobos?

Its a solid board as well. Again, just make sure it has the ports you need, warranty, price, and look you want, then buy a board.

Back