Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6
    10 Year Badge
    Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    Great review, Hokie.

As for the processor...."meh."

$1k is just to much to ask in my opinion, esp since the price hasnt dropped on a 990x.....

Main Rig..........................Game Server............................................ Media Server..............Untangle.....................N vidia Shield
    Core i5 4690k @ 4.5ghz ........Phenom II X4 965 w/CM Hyper 612.............Core i3 2100.......... Athlon X2 2350-BE....... Android 4.4.2
    GA-Z97X-Gaming GT ..............GA-890GPA-UD3H.....................................MSI p67A-gd-65...........MSI 785GTM-45..........16gb mSDHC
    16gb Partriot S5..........................G.Skill 2x2gb 1333.....................................4gb DDR3 1333...........4gb OCZ DDR2 1066
    EVGA GTX 770 SC w/ACX .................XFX 8800gt+Asus 8400gs
    60gb OCZ Summit..............................4x250gb WD RE Raid0
    HGST 2x2tb Raid 0
    ViewSonic VX2453mh-LED

Benching Senior on Siesta
    Premium Member #8

Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    My recommendation is unless you bench or do heavy encoding where time is of the essence this platform is not worth upgrading for, it is after all targeted as an Enthusiast platform, nice to play with but way to rich to aquire as a everyday rig or for gaming.
    The 2500k/2600k remains imo still the best setup, very efficient and affordable.

3. Thanks!

Janus67 (11-15-11)

Forums Super Moderator
    Overclockers.com Lead Editor

10 Year Badge
    Hiding from Americans and making pretty colours in a drybox in St Andrews
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Brolloks View Post
    My recommendation is unless you bench or do heavy encoding where time is of the essence this platform is not worth upgrading for, it is after all targeted as an Enthusiast platform, nice to play with but way to rich to aquire as a everyday rig or for gaming.
    The 2500k/2600k remains imo still the best setup, very efficient and affordable.
    How's the (EVGA?) board working out for you?
    David J. Nelson MChem(Edin) PhD(Strath) MRSC [ResearcherID: D-3927-2011]
    OC Forums Super Moderator // Overclockers.com Editor

The Workhorse: [Lenovo W510] Intel Core i7-720QM / 8 GB DDR3 / nVidia Quadro FX880M / Crucial M4 256 GB SSD / Windows 7
    The HTPC/Server: AMD Phenom X4 9650 / 6 GB DDR2 / nVidia 8300 / 5 TB of HDDs / Antec Solo II Case / Windows 7
    The Gaming Rig: AMD Llano A6-3650 / 4 GB DDR3 / nVidia GTX260 / 2x 500 GB HDD in RAID0 / Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case / Windows 7
    The Benchmarking Setup: Various LGA775 chips / Asus Rampage Formula / 2 GB OCZ 1066 MHz DDR2 / nVidia Quadro NVS 285 / 320 GB HDD / Windows 7

My research fellowship is eating all my time, so I may be slow to reply to emails and private messages.

Benching Team Leader
    Grabbed Senior
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Completely agreed with this. The SB-E chips are not made for gaming of this generation and maybe not even the next until they start using heavily threaded applications. They are for workstation/benchmarking and not too much else at this point in my opinion.
    Haswell Benching and Gaming: ASRock Z87 OC Formula : Intel i7 4770k w/ Phanteks PH-TC14 : 8GB 2x4GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2666 : MSI, XFX, and Sapphire R9 290X
    Other Components: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB SSD : 2TB Hitachi : Silverstone Strider Gold 1250W and Seasonic Platinum 1000W : Auria EQ276W 2560x1440

Folding User Stats

Premium Member #5

Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry View Post
    Great review, Hokie.

As for the processor...."meh."

$1k is just to much to ask in my opinion, esp since the price hasnt dropped on a 990x.....
    Intels flagship processors never get a noticeable price drop. They just get bought out of stock then disappear.

Premium Member #8

First thing I want to do this weekend is do clock for clock compatisons between a 2600k and 3930k to see if there is any gain with the new chipset, I would expect so with quad channel RAM and more cache but I don't expect more than 5-10%.

I told myself I was probably going to upgrade from my 920 when 2011 rolled around. Now that it is here, I find myself thinking that the $700 for the K CPU and a motherboard would be better spent on a video card, SSD, and raid storage combo for my existing rig.

It isn't that this socket is bad, but it seems like anyone sitting on any generation of i7 quad core won't see much improvement in day to day tasks by upgrading to the newest release.

Intel is kicking so much ass that developers seem to be 3 or so years behind the hardware curve at this point. Insane...
    i7 920
    Gigabyte X58 Extreme
    6gb OCZ DDR3 2000
    Fuzion/MCP655/3x120 rad

Premium Member #8

No doubt Intel's R&D is top class, I'm really impressed how they can punch out such step up technology in less than 12 months from each other, exciting for us who like to play with new stuff

Folding Profile
    Nice review.

A suggestion for future folding Benchmarks, resize the columns in HFM so we can at least see what WU the benchmark was run on. Performance on 2600Ks (4.8 GHz) on normal SMP WUs in Linux vary from 25K to 45K ppd depending on the WU. 43,500ppd on p7500 isn't really Impressive, while that performance on p6058 would be fantastic.

All ppd from friends and family. Many thanks to HayesK for his support and congrats on being the #1 Folder on Team 32. Special thanks to ChrisC and ColinC

Folding User Stats

Water Cooled Moderator
    Overclockers.com Lead Editor
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasR View Post
    Nice review.

A suggestion for future folding Benchmarks, resize the columns in HFM so we can at least see what WU the benchmark was run on. Performance on 2600Ks (4.8 GHz) on normal SMP WUs in Linux vary from 25K to 45K ppd depending on the WU. 43,500ppd on p7500 isn't really Impressive, while that performance on p6058 would be fantastic.
    Thanks, I'll do that. I haven't folded in a long time and had no idea the difference in WUs was so much, my apologies.

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team!
    New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.
    I.M.O.G. - "Night benching is the answer. Start sleeping every other day. Other than an occassional narcoleptic episode, its been wor"
    \m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build

10 Year Badge
    Great review. I'm in the same boat as everyone else thinking that unless you are a cruncher, bencher, or video encoder then you aren't getting much benefit over SB. I'm considering building a new pc, but with IB looming I'll keep being patient.
    EVGA 750i SLI FTW, Q6600 @ 3200mhz 1.325v, vdroop mod, Kingston pc8500 4gb, 2x 8800GT in SLI, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB,WD 320GB for games, Xclio 650w psu, Scythe Infinity 2X Kingwin 80cfm 120mm fans, X-fi xtreme gamer, Windows 7 Ultimate

Bill Gates over heard saying "If i had a penny for every time Windows Crashed... Oh wait, I do."

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    These machines only really suit massive megamultitaskers or people who crunch lots and lots of data.

I'm sure Xeon-based datacrunching rigs based on these SNB-E chips will be very popular.
    Of course I agree completely, I was referring only to enthusiasts. More power is always useful for enterprise data crunching.
    The Last Gonzo of Scotland.
    Core i7 950 @ 4Ghz, Gigabyte x58-USB3, Radeon 6870 CF, Xonar D2X, 12GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Bigfoot 2100, Agility 3 120GB, 3x 2TB Spinpoint F4, Corsair HX1000w, Cambridge Audio A500 and Acoustic Research speakers (Main PC)
    Alienware M11x, C2D SU 7300, Geforce 335M, Corsair Force 40GB (Laptop)
    Opteron 175, DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra D, Radeon x850 XT PE, 4GB BH-5, OCZ Petrol 64GB, X-Fi Xtreme Music, 2x TerraTec PHASE 22, Enermax Liberty ELT500, Yamaha A-S300 and Mordaunt Short Aviano speakers (Music PC)
    Pentium D 920, Gigabyte 965P-S3, Geforce 210, 2GB Elpida DDR2, TerraTec PHASE 22, ASUS DVB-T (HTPC)
    Dual P3 866Mhz, Intel 440LX Board, 1.8GB PC133Mhz, 2x Voodoo 2 12MB, Turtle Beach FIJI (Retro Gaming Machine)

Heatware

Folding Profile
    Hokie,
    Do you recall or can you look and see what WU the benchmark was run on?

All ppd from friends and family. Many thanks to HayesK for his support and congrats on being the #1 Folder on Team 32. Special thanks to ChrisC and ColinC

Folding User Stats

To much money for what you get and gaming is the same as SB.
    i5 2500K
    Motherboard Gigabyte Z68A-D3-B3
    G.SKILL RipjawsX X.M.P. 1600MHz
    EVGA SuperClocked GTX 570

Folding Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiealumnus View Post
    Thanks, I'll do that. I haven't folded in a long time and had no idea the difference in WUs was so much, my apologies.
    There's a FAH benchmarking program running around the net. http://www.avid-edge.com/fah/FAHbench_v12.zip
    It has a couple standard WU's that were "captured" (older) and the program allows you to select the WU and number of ticks (% of the WU) to fold. It'll allow you to bench a3's and a5's. The WU's are constant with the program so will allow everyone do directly compare performance using the program.

Let me save you some time, Ive been running 2600k vs. 3960X head to head for a few weeks now. Clock for clock, SB and SB-E perf is the same for single thread and single GPU but SB-E dominates in things like rendering, video/audio editing, or anything multi-thread. SB-E also outperforms SB in multi-GPU by 2-5% depending on the test and the GPU (better GPU = more of an advantage). Add more video cards and the perf advantage of SB-E grows more. That is it in a nutshell.
    First thing I want to do this weekend is do clock for clock compatisons between a 2600k and 3930k to see if there is any gain with the new chipset, I would expect so with quad channel RAM and more cache but I don't expect more than 5-10%.
    Motherboard Reviewer at Hardware Canucks
    Team OCX Bench Team
    Always lurking the motherboard section

Great but...

Great but... that price.... deal breaker for me.

Sure the performance out does the BD on pretty much everything here but... the trends has been the same after AMD's Anthlon days. The thing that keeps me from ever buying the chip is it's price. That is still a bit ridiculous for me.

Power consumption is never a concern since it only adds two or three cents to my electric bill for a high end part, but I am not willing to shell out that kind of cabbage for something I don't even know a program will ever run. I will stick with my phenom and intel celeron for now :P.

Also, a quick hack for those who program. Turn off the freaking Intel Genuine on intel's instruction compilers. Not everyone is rich for a Intel part, and must suffice with AMD.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6