Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast
    Overclockers.com

Intel Sandy Bridge Extreme i7-3960X Processor Review

Quote Originally Posted by hokiealumnus
    It has been about a month since our last CPU launch article. These things aren't usually hot on each others' heels, but we're certainly not going to argue. AMD's Bulldozer was not exactly what everyone - especially AMD fans - had hoped it would be. Enthusiasts were hoping for an Intel killer but got a slight upgrade instead.

Now it's Intel's turn. The hype surrounding Sandy Bridge - E hasn't been the same as it was for Bulldozer: this isn't an architecture rewrite, rather it's an improvement on an existing core.

... Return to article to continue reading.
    Last edited by hokiealumnus; 11-14-11 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Added 'frontpage' tag.

Wow that thing is silly fast! Nice review Hokie
    Case: Corsair 800D
    Motherboard: ASUS Maximus IV Extreme Z
    CPU: 2500k @ Stock (Custom WC Loop)
    Memory: Mushkin Enhanced Radioactive 8GB @ 1600
    HD: Crucial M4 64GB (OS) | 300GB WD Raptor
    Video Card: XFX HD 4870 (for now)
    PSU: Corsair HX850

Forums Super Moderator
    Overclockers.com Lead Editor

10 Year Badge
    Hiding from Americans and making pretty colours in a drybox in St Andrews
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile
    Nicely done, J
    David J. Nelson MChem(Edin) PhD(Strath) MRSC [ResearcherID: D-3927-2011]
    OC Forums Super Moderator // Overclockers.com Editor

The Workhorse: [Lenovo W510] Intel Core i7-720QM / 8 GB DDR3 / nVidia Quadro FX880M / Crucial M4 256 GB SSD / Windows 7
    The HTPC/Server: AMD Phenom X4 9650 / 6 GB DDR2 / nVidia 8300 / 5 TB of HDDs / Antec Solo II Case / Windows 7
    The Gaming Rig: AMD Llano A6-3650 / 4 GB DDR3 / nVidia GTX260 / 2x 500 GB HDD in RAID0 / Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case / Windows 7
    The Benchmarking Setup: Various LGA775 chips / Asus Rampage Formula / 2 GB OCZ 1066 MHz DDR2 / nVidia Quadro NVS 285 / 320 GB HDD / Windows 7

My research fellowship is eating all my time, so I may be slow to reply to emails and private messages.

Great processor!!!

Dissapointing chipset. X79 is not a "flagship" Enthusiast chipset. It's just not. Looks pretty mainstream to me.

Tom's Hardware summed it up best with this line, "X79 Express: P67, Is That You?"

Classic.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...-e,3071-3.html

Really, all I wanted to see was SAS or at least 4 to 6 SATA III RAID'able ports on the Intel chipset akin to ICH10, not some BS marvell controller. I don't wan't 2+4. That's pretty much useless to me for my RAID's. And the omission of USB 3.0 still confounds me.
    Last edited by LancerVI; 11-14-11 at 02:55 AM.
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
    Intel Core i7 920 C0 @ 3.8
    Asus P6T Deluxe V2
    Corsair XMS 3 6 GB 1600 DDR3
    Galaxy nVidia GTX 680 2048MB
    4x OCZ Vertex 60 GB SSD RAID 0 on ICH10
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD
    Koolance CPU-370 Waterblock
    Koolance 2x120 30 FPI Copper Core Radiator
    Koolance RP-452x2 Resevoir w/ PMP450 (Laing D5 Pump)

"Gunner, Sabot, PC, One-Two Hundred!!!"

Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Thanks for the review Jeremy...I got left behind on this one....thanks for filling the void

Premium Member #13

Benching Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile
    As puss n boots would say "holy frijoli" I'm gettin one
    rig-NZXT source 210 elite --serv-- norco 270 2u-------------------htpc-apex htpc case------lan rig lian-li pc-q07
    2500k 4.5ghz 1.3v------------------ opteron 2419 6-core-------------------i3-2120-------------i5-2400
    p67-ud4 ------------------------------ h8dmi-2 --------------------------- gigabyte h61-----------foxconn h61
    8gb gskill ripjaws 2x4 1600 ------4x4gb samsung ddr2 ECC ------1x2gb ddr3 1600-------2x4gb ddr3 1600 ripjaws
    xfx r9-280x black ----------------- onboard ---------------------------------HD 5450-------------GTX 750TI SC
    corsair hx850-------------------------antec vp-450------------------275w came with case------ corsair 430M
    custom loop --------------------------socket f 2u passive --------------stock intel cooler-------lenovo 1155 hs w 4500rpm pwm delta
    win 7x64------------------------------server 2012 r2 datacenter----------win 7 64 bit-----------win 7 x64
    steam user name : Wagex (you happy bro?) HEAT
    "You can't get magical Harry Potter temps with big overclocks, PHYSICS has a lot to do with it." -conumdrum

Benching Profile
    That's insane... Now, I have to sell my first born child to get one of those!
    Main :
    MoBo: Asrock Z97M OC Formula
    CPU: i7 4790K@4.7GHz/1.27v - Raijintek Nemesis
    Memory: 2x4GB Corsair 1866/Cl9
    GPU: 2x Sapphire Dual-X 280x
    SSD: Crucial M4 250GB
    PSU: HiperM 1000W

HTPC : ASUS A55BM-Plus - AMD A4-4000 - iGPU

Benching Profile
    Great review Hokie
    Folding User Stats
    CPU: I7 3960X @5000 H2O
    MOBO: ASUS Rampage 4 Extream H20
    RAM: Corsair Dominator 4x2GB 2133 Cl8 (Hypers)
    Video: Evga Titan Tri Sli H20
    Case: Danger Den Custom DoubleWide
    PSU: Silverstone 1500
    LCD: Dell 30" 3007
    SSD: 4x Ocz Vertex 4 120 Raid 0
    H20: Dual D5 Pumps, EK SLi Serial, BP Pump Top, BP Pump Cover, Frozen Q Reservoir, Lamptron FC2, 3x Blackice GTX 480's 2x Blackice GTX 360's

Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Awesome review as always Hokie
    "I just picked up some Vaseline and a big syringe. I'm thinking using the syringe will make it easier to put the Vaseline in all the little hard to reach spots. I'm hoping to get to mess with it tonight, if so I'll post some videos" Convicted1

Senior Moment Senior Member
    10 Year Badge
    Once again Jeremy, you have put together a review with the information we need to see what this chip is capable of. Nice and thanks
    if it screams, crank it. if it cries, kill it

Asrock z77 ex6
    2600k @4.8ghz
    Samsung 2x4gb rams
    OCZ Vertex4 256gb ssd
    EVGA GTX480
    Sparkle 1250 gold PSU
    Arc Midi case

Benching Team Leader
    Grabbed Senior
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Posting from my phone, can't wait to read it Jeremy! Will edit with my response momentarily!

edit: looks like the wrong account was used to post your news story?

double edit:

Fantastic review man, very well written, solid graphs, and a big thanks to the thobel and EarthDog for submitting some hardware scores for the markers. I can't wait to see what the 3930k is going to do.

And surprisingly, microcenter is selling them for $50+ more than newegg, world first? (that said, they do pricematch I do believe).
    Last edited by Janus67; 11-14-11 at 08:33 AM.

Benching Profile Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile
    Another nice review Hokie.

Food for thought... when comparing the cost/performance of a new a 3930K combo... ($$$ ) to current 2600K setups.
    Haswell/IB/SB on a Dimastech Bench table.

Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    Awesome review Hokie. Now I must sell one of my kids to get on of these beast and a R4E.

Benching Senior on Siesta
    Premium Member #8

Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    Jeremy, fantastic review, thanks for bringing us the latest and greatest on launch day !!'

Couple of questions...hope you don't mind:

I see you talk about FSB and FSB strap under overclocking, does this replace base clock we have come to know since Nahalem was brought to the table, I thought FSB died with LGA 775?

Will you throw in Gulftown benchmark comparisons on your RIVE review?

Lastly would it be possible to include clock for clock benchmarks between SB and SB-E to see if they tweaked the architecture to make it more efficient? this will off course make sense in the thread for thread (4c/8t) runs to rule out gain by using extra threads.

Thanks again for a great review

Here are Vantage 2 subs from Massman.

62919 with 990x @ 6000: http://hwbot.org/submission/2199009_...0_62919_marks/

62958 with 3960x @ 5300: http://hwbot.org/submission/2221270_...80_62985_marks

Benching Senior on Siesta
    Premium Member #8

As I expected SB-E crushes Gulftown in the same way SB did with Bloomfield, nice!

Premium Member #5

Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile
    Nice review!

Looks like I am going to have to start selling my benching kit to buy one of these bad boys.
    SSD > PCMark 05
    freeagent - Torture is watching all these 2600k's kicking my rig in the mosfets

Yes, but from what I've been reading the binning process will be the same as previous SB's. Going to need to find a 5500+ gem. To rich for my blood to bin these.

I still want one.

Premium Member #5

Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile
    no need to find a gem if a 5.3ghz chip beats 6ghz gulftown.

anyone know if there is an SR3 mobo in the works?
    SSD > PCMark 05
    freeagent - Torture is watching all these 2600k's kicking my rig in the mosfets

Water Cooled Moderator
    Overclockers.com Lead Editor
    Quote Originally Posted by Brolloks View Post
    I see you talk about FSB and FSB strap under overclocking, does this replace base clock we have come to know since Nahalem was brought to the table, I thought FSB died with LGA 775?
    Sorry, you are correct - FSB terminology in this case = BCLK. Good point, I've added an author's note to the article:

Author's Note - For clarity, I'm using FSB interchangeably with base clock (or BCLK) here. FSB overclocking like on socket 775 is dead. Thanks to Brolloks for pointing this out.
    Will you throw in Gulftown benchmark comparisons on your RIVE review?
    There are gulftown results in this review for all 2D benches (thanks to thobel!). Unfortunately I don't have the ability to compare 3D benchmarks due to not knowing anyone with a Gulftown and 6970 combo. Was there something in 2D you were wanting to see?

Lastly would it be possible to include clock for clock benchmarks between SB and SB-E to see if they tweaked the architecture to make it more efficient? this will off course make sense in the thread for thread (4c/8t) runs to rule out gain by using extra threads.
    I'm knee deep in the RIVE review right now but after that one I'll see what I can do. However don't I remember something about first-gen SB chips dying from disabling cores? I don't really want to take a chance on this chip.

I can do a really quick comparison with WPrime in the comments here. I'll just assign it four threads, then eight and see how they compare with each other. Would that help?
    Last edited by hokiealumnus; 11-14-11 at 09:14 AM.

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team!
    New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.
    I.M.O.G. - "Night benching is the answer. Start sleeping every other day. Other than an occassional narcoleptic episode, its been wor"
    \m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast