• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hyper 212+ or H70

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
From what i know is 212 + is a older model and EVO is the evolution of 212 + which made improvement on the heatsink on the bottom and making it direct contact

Pft, the 212+ already has direct contact. The only real difference is that the 212+ had gaps in between the heatpipes and the EVO does not. They'll be within 1 or two degree's of each other. You'll see a similar variance with application of various thermal pastes, no big deal.

Over the course of about a year to year and a half, the pump on my H70 got louder until it was unbearable. I would just go with air or make your own water loop.

Pft, the 212+ already has direct contact. The only real difference is that the 212+ had gaps in between the heatpipes and the EVO does not. They'll be within 1 or two degree's of each other. You'll see a similar variance with application of various thermal pastes, no big deal.

They also put a different fan with the EVO that (according to newegg) pushes a bit more air and is a bit quieter.

I was going to go with an H100, but decided ill go with an Evo for my new build. I think if i wanted to go water, id have my own loop that would include the video card(s) as well. Would i need it for overclocking? Likely not. Im looking at water much more for noise reduction, and coolness factor than heavy overlocking.

I also changed from an i7 to an i5 sandy. I figure an i7 is overkill atm and ill just be able to upgrade to the new Ivy Bridge when they get cheaper.

They also put a different fan with the EVO that (according to newegg) pushes a bit more air and is a bit quieter.

I was going to go with an H100, but decided ill go with an Evo for my new build. I think if i wanted to go water, id have my own loop that would include the video card(s) as well. Would i need it for overclocking? Likely not. Im looking at water much more for noise reduction, and coolness factor than heavy overlocking.

I also changed from an i7 to an i5 sandy. I figure an i7 is overkill atm and ill just be able to upgrade to the new Ivy Bridge when they get cheaper.

From what i have heard i would go with the hyper 212+ save $10 put it into the motherboard or somthing

The i5 is pretty significantly cooler then the i7, since there's no hyperthreading. :)

Tho ill be doing other things with this PC, it will primarily be a gaming PC, and since few, if any games actually support/use hyperthreading, an i7 isnt worth the money for me atm.

Ok, I'd see if your current cooler will cut it and only upgrade if its actually necessary.

Right now i max out at ~42C and 45C max under what i do(with my hyper 212+ in pull), i dont play anything hard on the CPU/GPU yet like COD of BF3

(FAIL I replied to a old POST my bad xD)

Thats still more than acceptable. I'd not worry about it unless I was getting into the mid 70's or so.

Ok.. i got the 212 Evo, and ram listed below. I did manged to get both installed on the mobo, but the fan is *just* touching the first ram (heatsync) Is this an issue? or will the ram not put out enough heat for it to be a problem?

Its not pushing against it, its just touching it (you could slide a piece of paper between it and its kinda tight, but it does slide in)

6686457531_ab18433cae_b.jpg

Wont be an issue

Cool. I didnt think it would be, and ive already proceeded to install it in the case. Given how lightly it is pushing against the ram, i didnt think it would be a big deal (the Noc fan is slightly thicker than the included CM fan, so i imagine it wouldn't even be a question, but i wanted the Noc for Push since its claimed to have higher pressure for this sort of task.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Back