• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Throttling to 725core/1050mem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bardolph

Registered
So, I've recently purchased a SAPPHIRE HD 6950 2GB DiRT 3 edition and unlocked it to 6970 specs. I have the card OC'd to 940/1400 and it runs everything beautifully. With an aggressive fan profile, the card hardly hits over 60c.

This is all fine an dandy, except when the card decides to throttle and drop it's specs down to:

725mhz - core
1050mhz - memory

I've done some reading about this and figured out that it's due to the CCC's TDP limiter called "power management." So I went into CCC and set this up to +20% and it works fine MOST of the time. Sometimes, however, it still will throttle and drop down to the lower specs (below stock). It's frustrating. I see most of the guides online showing drivers that allow for +50% power, but mine only go up to +20%. I figure if I could add a mere 10% more to this, it would be fine, but for some reason mine won't do that.

For now, the solution has been to reload my overclocking profile in Trixx and that seems to get it back to where it needs to be.

Anyone got a solution for this? Anyone know why some can do +50% to power management and I can only do +20%? Anyone know if this would fix my problem?

Thanks in advanced.

Sometimes it will, but not always.

For instance, last night I played BF3 for about 2 hours, but about 1.5 hours in, it throttled down and maintained 725/1050. I alt-tabbed, reset the Trixx OC profile, and it clocked back up. If I hadn't done that, it would have stayed that way probably until reboot or something. I'm not quite sure.

Back