• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BF3 Performance on SLI or Single Card Setups

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I had no idea that changing the default setting changes the AA. Usually thats independent...hence my poking you to answer the question. ;)

Ahh good ole BF3.

Before it came out I built my rig around the recommended specs which were clearly BS.

6950 2gb. 1055t AMD. 8 GB 1333.

Performance was awful. Couldn't even turn on AA without getting dips to 15 FPS.

I went through hell with this game.

I tried 2 AMD CPUs - 1055t and 975 BE
2 AMD motherboards - 990FX and 870t (i think)
Switched to i5 2500k with single 6950 2gb - performance was a lot better...but not constant 60FPS

Dual 6950's 2GB - Solid performance. Major Driver issues - Play a single map for a while then once a map change occurred my drivers would crash forever. Had to reinstall manually in safe mode every time :mad:
Dual 6950 2gb was nice and lowest FPS on ultra I saw was 50 in intense situations. There was stutter also sometimes.

Got rid of both 6950's and bought a single GTX 570 2.5 GB.

Performance was really good. But even at ultra and 4xAA it did struggle.

Finally switched to my current setup with 580 3gb. I have the game almost maxed out. Everything 4xAA, deferred high. Motion blur. All ultra except for Shadow and Mesh on medium and SSAO instead of HBAO.
I get solid 60FPS and lowest would be 53 in intense situations.
Very smooth game play. Not stutter. Smooth as butter.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=702655

That is a thread I started for my VRAM usage. Varies from card to card. I used 1.9 GB max for setting I just described.

For BF3 I typically get 45-55 FPS depending on what is happening. I play at 1920x1080 in Ultra as well.

GPU is Sapphire 6970.
i5-750 at 3.2
8GB GSkill DDR3-1600

According to Fraps

At 1100 core I average 50fps on ultra at 1920x1080. At 1200 core I average 57fps.

if you kill msaa or even set it to 2 your frames will nearly double ... and tbh i almost think its clearer /less blurry off?

Yea.. i dropped it from 4x to 2x and it did and motion blur off. it did keep more stable FPS.. like 47-48.. witch ant to bad from these older cards :D

With memory less than 1gb on your SLI setups i would probably use Danoc's FXAA injector to replace the msaa/post proc AA. Should get better performance and a nice visual boost. I know with all settings maxed @ 1080p
my 7950 crossfire is burning 2.2gb vram, without the injector its near 3gb.

I'm an FPS junkie as well! Can't stand stuttering through a game.

Last edited:
His standards are incredibly high like MIN FPS of 50-60 iirc. :)

That was going to be my exact response as Earthdog has seen how anal I cant get about FPS. I cannot stand Frames dropping below my refresh rate. I like locked 60fps. Now it never drops below that. Never its simply amazing.

Dual 580s for the win.

But ya a single 580 is good enough.

I just hate experiencing 60FPS during a certain part of the map and then all the sudden I am at 50 FPS. That rapid drop in FPS is what I cant stand.

That was going to be my exact response as Earthdog has seen how anal I cant get about FPS. I cannot stand Frames dropping below my refresh rate. I like locked 60fps. Now it never drops below that. Never its simply amazing.

Dual 580s for the win.

But ya a single 580 is good enough.

I just hate experiencing 60FPS during a certain part of the map and then all the sudden I am at 50 FPS. That rapid drop in FPS is what I cant stand.

This sounds like myself! I once built a rig with two GTX 570's just to play Hawx 2 on a 1680 x 1050 monitor. I was getting like 200 fps! LOL

Back