• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 930 Overclocking to 4GHz!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deltafan909

So today I went ahead and went for 4.0GHz. I am using 191x21. My RAM is set to multiplier of 6, so it is underclocked. Multiplier of 8 would sail it way too high over 1333MHz. For my vcore, I used a dynamic vcore offset of +100mv which should put it at 1.3v. I have not yet tried to lower it. I stress tested for about 13 minutes with no errors and decent temps. All other information can be found in the picture below.

9h44dd.jpg

Any advice? Please let me know!!! :)

Last edited:
BLCK changed to 190. For some reason, my BLCK stays .5 higher than what it is set to. So now, I am technically running at 190.52x21=4000.92MHz. Should I try to lower my vcore since I know I am stable at my current speed and vcore?

Looks fine. If you want to lower vcore, I would first run prime 8+ hours and see if stable where you are. If it passes then lower and rerun if you wish to reduce more.

Question, would you recommend that I raise my BLCK to 200, and multiplier to 20? Right now I am at 191 and 21. But, my memory multiplier is at 6 so that I don't g above 1333MHz. With BLCK at 200, my RAM would be at 1200, right now it is at 1150. Is the change worth it?

Even multis dont overclock as well as odd multis. Despite this occuring since early i7's, no one knows why for sure, but most just keep it on odd multis like 19, 21. Also i7's arent bandwidth limited at your speed, so no noticeable improvement. I would leave it at 21x191.

Even multis dont overclock as well as odd multis. Despite this occuring since early i7's, no one knows why for sure, but most just keep it on odd multis like 19, 21. Also i7's arent bandwidth limited at your speed, so no noticeable improvement. I would leave it at 21x191.

Well that seems odd. Thank you though! So, a faster RAM module at say 1600 wouldn't even make a difference with an i7? Even something like Sandybridge?

Edit: "According to Intel, the Core i7 processor only officially supports DDR3-1066 memory, but in fact, the family is capable of running memory speeds from DDR3-800 to DDR3-1600."

Last edited:
many people run their ram with 8x mem with OCed bclk, my bclk is 192 and I have always used 8x mem, ie 1536, and 1.64v. And with some of the newer ram, people are running even higher.

the trick is in the multi ratio requirement. If your mem is at 2000 your uncore has to be at a minimum 4000 and that usually takes a bit if qpi vtt to make it stable. If your chip is running well at 4ghz more than likely you can get your mem to 1600 and not need a ton of vtt.
My old 920 went all the way to 5.4ghz with uncore at 4600 and mem at 2200+

I did some more stress/heat testing today with IBT for the first time instead of P95. This time, my ambient temps were 69F instead of 59F. My temps were considerably higher. I ran 3 different levels in IBT starting with Standard and working my way higher while watching temps.

j139n4.jpg
Standard. This is taken right after the test stopped. My vcore was at 1.288v during testing. But, it is shown at idle in the picture. It occasionally bounced to 1.296v too while testing.

1zvct3k.jpg
High. This was also taken after the test stopped. My vcore was again at 1.288v and occasionally 1.296v. My CPU is again at idle.

I also tested on Very High. My temps hit 77C, but was still stable. I did not take a screen shot. Would this be counted as rock hard stable? Is now the time to lower the vcore?

Edit: If I do switch it from 100mv+ to 80mv+, is there a chance that it won't boot? If not, will it reset itself back to 100mv+, or will I have to press my button on the motherboard?

Last edited:
It probably will boot into windows with 80mv+ offset but it may or may remain Prime stable when you test it. Sometimes motherboards will reset to stock defaults with a failed o.c. but other times it can hang and you may have to clear cmos.

What motherboard are you running and how much vtt voltage?

I see... you are running an OEM board.
Auto will most likely work for vtt. Does it show in BIOS how much vtt voltage is actually being applied with it set to auto? Does the BIOS allow for you to take it off of auto and to manually set vtt?

Since you seem stable at 4.0Ghz with ~1.3v vcore... I would go ahead and try testing your chip next with ~1.28v vcore. Some of the better clocking "Bloomfield" samples can run 4.0 with low volts. Another choice would be to keep your vcore where it is now (~1.3v) and to bump your bclk up to 195 to see if you can run ~4.1Ghz.

I see... you are running an OEM board.
Auto will most likely work for vtt. Does it show in BIOS how much vtt voltage is actually being applied with it set to auto? Does the BIOS allow for you to take it off of auto and to manually set vtt?

Since you seem stable at 4.0Ghz with ~1.3v vcore... I would go ahead and try testing your chip next with ~1.28v vcore. Some of the better clocking "Bloomfield" samples can run 4.0 with low volts. Another choice would be to keep your vcore where it is now (~1.3v) and to bump your bclk up to 195 to see if you can run ~4.1Ghz.

I'm worried about my temps because I got up to I think 77C with IBT. I am worried about degradation, and I am happy with 4GHz. So say I go +80mv(1.28) and it doesn't boot, do you think it will reset itself?

Edit: As far as VTT, I'll take a look when I go down to 1.28 :)

I don't know? Do you know where the CMOS reset jumper is on your board? When you clear CMOS it will reset your system back to factory defaults. Then you can go back into BIOS and dial back in your last stable o.c. settings.

Hmmmm. Maybe it's not stable at 1.28v. I tested with prime95 for about 4 minutes...then "Windows Desktop Manager" or something like that failed and closed. My screen flickered black once and came back on. Out of instinct, I stopped the test even though no p95 errors came up and no BSOD. Is it not stable? I think I may go back to 3.8GHz for better temps since 1.3v gives me some high ones, and 1.28v gives me a little instability I believe. I am writing this still with +80mv.

I also had core temp, CPU-Z, Teamspeak, and was on a skype call while testing. Could that have been part of the issue?

Back