• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New stuff on the horizon, CPU/GPU. WWYD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Conumdrum

Thought I'd try to start a civil :sly: long term thread on 2012 and all of our plans. I know 2012 is going to bring new CPUs and new GPUs. And I feel a urge to upgrade in 2012 because. I wanna do it, k?:drool:

What
Would
You
Do?

Will the CPU's be so cool without high overclocks that an air cooler is enough?

I really don't think GPU banshee 100+ db fannages are going to change, so I bow to watercooling them.

In 2012, WWYD for planning? Do I really need a Caselabs M8 case? Or is smaller the smarter move?

More of a discussion on our future build musings, what do you think would be a good, great rig for 2012. :popcorn: Sure you can go silly xtreme:-/, but thats not my goal here.

I think Ivy Bridge is going to be VERY hot, and I look forward to the next generation GPUs also.

I think smaller is going to continue to be a big trend - I'm moving my HTPC with a 1090T over to an i3-2100 currently. Wondering if I'll see it on my power bill, wouldn't hurt... And I just don't need the 1090T - all the processing this system does is automated, downloads, extraction, par repairs - that sort of stuff goes on whether I'm in front of the TV or not so it doesn't really matter how quickly it gets done.

But I'll be jumping on the heavy hitters - I'm considering SB-E currently, and if there is an IB-E, I'll definitely do that. Hoping I don't go SB-E and then have a hard time setting aside the cash for IB-E... No reason for the power, but I'm hoping to get some good benching results out of 'em. They'll never go inside a case.

Me personally I'm always upgrading. Funny you mentioned the Caselabs M8. I've been seriously thinking about a caselabs case, not sure which one, but when I upgrade again I'll prob go that route. Also I've been loyal to AMD for a while now and am not impressed with bulldozer at all, so no offense to them but I've seriously been thinking about an intel switch unless AMD gets their act together. Still like their GPUs though and am anxious to see what both them and nvidia have in store for next gen.

Thinking about building a new rig myself, built this one before I really read the water cooling section here so its not exactly kosher but it gets the job done pretty well, next one I'm doing with what I've learned from here for the last two years as its going to be a hot one.

Still deciding on weather I want to get an FX8120 or FX8150, but getting the 990x sabertooth for sure, EK HF now that I think they got the nickle plating thing worked out, and going for a dual loop. The case I've been beating my head on deciding though, have been thinking about going with a corsair 650d and doing a 120.2 up top and adding a 120.1 to the exhaust fan in the back all for the cpu, and a 120.2 or a 200mm on the front for my two 5770's (too cheap to upgrade cards when all I really play are mmo's).

I can't imagine IB will be a huge upgrade over SB, though watch Intel prove me very wrong. The Intel chips all run great under big air these days, so if I were planning, I'd go that route for the CPU.

The 600 series nVidia and 7000 series AMD GPUs though ... AMD/nVidia haven't exactly been making big strides in total wattage lately, so any GPUs go under water by default for me, and if at all possible the radiators go in a separate room. Gaming sessions get toasty in the summer as it is without me thinking about the A/C bill, so next round I'll want to do something about that.

I'm rolling the idea of mineral oil submersion in a fish tank, with requisite bubble scuba diver and water rads used to dissipate heat, around in my head for use at some point in the future as well. It amuses me too much to not do it someday.

Back