• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oveclocked GPU OK for 24/7 use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IJAHman

If ever I OC my video card (Gigabyte GTX560 OC), let say 900 + mhz, is it ok if I use it 24/7? I read some forums that you will only OC your GPU if you want to benchmark, after it you will have put it back to it's stock setting, is it true? :confused:

It depends on several factors. Probably the most important is the temperature. No one can say (and don't believe them if they do) "anything under XXX MHz is OK to run 24/7. It depends on your cooling and air flow, as well as the type of software you run.

When you O/C you are always taking a risk that your hardware may not hold up.

The first thing you should do is google around for acceptable temps (load temps) for your GPU, and do some tests at stock clocks to determine how much headroom you may have for overclocking.

It depends on several factors. Probably the most important is the temperature. No one can say (and don't believe them if they do) "anything under XXX MHz is OK to run 24/7. It depends on your cooling and air flow, as well as the type of software you run.

The first thing you should do is google around for acceptable temps (load temps) for your GPU, and do some tests at stock clocks to determine how much headroom you may have for overclocking.

So does this means that it's always safer not to OC a GPU for 24/7 use?
Can't find some forum that discuss about safer load temps for 24/7 use of vid card. :shrug:

I have my GTX 580 running with a modest overclock at 825mhz pratically 24/7. It is as Mokrunka has said, there is always a risk when overclocking, even if you keep your graphics card temps in check. You may gain a boost in performance for gaming, but that is proportional towards how much you overclock.

I run an overclock of 850/1175 on the ati rig in my sig 24/7 and have not had any issues. Just as long as your temps are under control and your overclock is stable you will be perfectly fine.

People will usually only use extreme overclocks for benching, my 24/7 oc is purely for games.

I run an overclock of 850/1175 on the ati rig in my sig 24/7 and have not had any issues. Just as long as your temps are under control and your overclock is stable you will be perfectly fine.

People will usually only use extreme overclocks for benching, my 24/7 oc is purely for games.

Exactly. There isn't some magic formula. You just need to keep your temps under control, and your hardware will be fine.

Where you get into trouble is reading that "everyone can hit XXX overclock with XXX chip" and you go and set your own clocks to that number straightaway and fry your hardware.

Just take your time and do the research on safe temps, and you'll be fine.

How uch did you add in your OC card? what's the core stock?

One more thing, If ever I'll go SLI, is it ok to pair my current Gigabyte GTX 560 Oc to another brand but with the same model (for ex. EVGA GTX 560 superclock) What would be the dis and advatages of this? which card would be the main and the secondary?

I run my OCed GPUs 24/7 well not exactly 24/7 because I don't leave my PC on all day and night if I am not using it, but they OC on start-up. You just need to make sure its stable and temps are not to high.

One more thing, If ever I'll go SLI, is it ok to pair my current Gigabyte GTX 560 Oc to another brand but with the same model (for ex. EVGA GTX 560 superclock) What would be the dis and advatages of this? which card would be the main and the secondary?
Yes you can use different brands as long as its the same model, however it will clock to the lower of the twos settings. You can OC it to match the other cards settings though, or to the highest that both are stable and under temps. Are you asking the advantages of SLI? Your primary card is decided on how you install it in your rig in your first PCI-E slot.

Last edited:

I can say that, and will, and he will believe me. :bday: :p :rofl:

Being serious, you are right as far as temperature goes. So long as temps are kept around 80C (preferably less of course) any clock speed is ok to run so long as it is stable. :thup:

theres no point in having your cards overclocked 24/7, all your doing is wasting electricity and money......honestly, theres no point in overclocking graphics cards at all these days unless your trying to beef up your bench marking scores, besides, any new card can pretty much handle any new game at stock settings, given you may not be able to max out the graphics in some games with an enrty level card but the graphics will still look good.

This depends on the game, resolution, settings, and GPU... Overclocking any card will certainly yield some returns and may even help you bump up settings a notch and keep the same FPS. For example, I would o/c the snot out of a GTX 460 1GB to play BF3 at the settings I want if thats what I had. On the flip side of that, My GTX580 is stock for all games and runs just fine with everything at its highest and using AA/AF. So again, it depends. ;)

theres no point in having your cards overclocked 24/7, all your doing is wasting electricity and money......honestly, theres no point in overclocking graphics cards at all these days unless your trying to beef up your bench marking scores, besides, any new card can pretty much handle any new game at stock settings, given you may not be able to max out the graphics in some games with an enrty level card but the graphics will still look good.

I agree with ED. :rofl:

I would also OC my cards to run a specific game, since you can usually realize a difference. That doesn't mean you need to keep them at those clocks all the time however.

Gmail and chrome don't really care what the clock speed on your GPU are...

theres no point in having your cards overclocked 24/7, all your doing is wasting electricity and money...

You are somewhat right but you have to remember that these video cards are NEVER running at these clocks 24/7 unless you are forcing them trough profiles. Most of the time cards will down-clock for regular pc tasks and will ramp up to the oc when the gpu goes over a certain usage %.

For example, the 5xxx series will downclock to 157/300 for normal text and browsing and will use clock of 400/900 for videos. If you are doing anything that taxes the gpu the clocks will go up to their performance clocks.

So, why not overclocking 24/7 then?

+1, as long as you have a solid over clock there is no real reason not to.

Last edited:
Mokrunka has given some solid advice. Take the time, do the research. Research acceptable temps, research what others are getting for solid and stable 24/7 clocks, and maybe even research the max 24/7 voltage for your card.

I've never owned a GTX560 and don't know much about it. I did, however, own a GTX460. It's stock clocks were at 648Mhz, I was able to overclock it to 822MHz for a stable 24/7 OC. They GTX560 and GTX460 are very similar in many aspects. I kept the temps at or below 75C (more like 70C) and had no issues with it for about a year.

Good luck.

Thanks Guys! Help a lot. :thup:

My thoughts. I think gonna go OC my GTX 560. Running at Stock GPU : 830mhz
memory : 1002mhz Shader : 1660 mhz is good. but stressing it out a little bit would be better. I think up to 915mhz would be ok.I got some settings that i copied in Legit reviews that I will make as a guide and baseline.

What would be a good Stability Tester for gpu :
3dmark 11? or 3dmark06?
Furmark?
or
Vantage (I don't know whats the exact name)? :p

Thanks Guys! Help a lot. :thup:

My thoughts. I think gonna go OC my GTX 560. Running at Stock GPU : 830mhz
memory : 1002mhz Shader : 1660 mhz is good. but stressing it out a little bit would be better. I think up to 915mhz would be ok.I got some settings that i copied in Legit reviews that I will make as a guide and baseline.

What would be a good Stability Tester for gpu :
3dmark 11? or 3dmark06?
Furmark?
or
Vantage (I don't know whats the exact name)? :p

3dmark11 demo loop for 30 min is usually enough and, of course, games!

Back