• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CORSAIR 850AX PSU Fan not moving?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aya90

Hi the technicans helped me install a corsair 850AX PSU on my HAF 922 with the fan point upwards ( was told and seen that it do not fit fan downwards on the case )

The fan will spin while starting windows but it stopped around 3 secs later.

I was told that the PSU is a special design and will only spin when it gets hot. But i touched the PSU and its cold around 29 Celsius

If it's cold then you shouldn't worry about it, at least if you were told that the fan is triggered by heat. You should have no worries, Quote from Corsair site on your PSU
The Corsair AX850's energy-efficient design allows it to operate reliably with minimal cooling, and hence very low noise levels. The AX850's Hybrid Silent Fan Control technology offers three modes of cooling, depending on the load level. This includes a fanless mode of operation (0 rpm) up to about 20% load, a quiet, low fan speed cooling mode for typical loads up to around 50% load, and a higher performance cooling mode for more demanding loads. Noise levels still remain low even when fan speeds start to climb, thanks to the use of a premium-quality 120mm San Ace fan from industry-leader, Sanyo Denki.

Fans are very often set to run only when the heat in the case requires it ...

Is there a second fan on the PSU?

Hi the technicans helped me install a corsair 850AX PSU on my HAF 922 with the fan point upwards ( was told and seen that it do not fit fan downwards on the case )

The fan will spin while starting windows but it stopped around 3 secs later.

I was told that the PSU is a special design and will only spin when it gets hot. But i touched the PSU and its cold around 29 Celsius

What "technicians?"

The power supply is bottom mounted. It can be mounted with the fan up or down. The fan should face down. If you drop anything into the upward facing fan opening, you have a problem. You also lose some usefull length that the cables can reach with the fan facing up because the cables are then oriented to the outer edge of the power supply.

What "technicians?"

The power supply is bottom mounted. It can be mounted with the fan up or down. The fan should face down. If you drop anything into the upward facing fan opening, you have a problem. You also lose some usefull length that the cables can reach with the fan facing up because the cables are then oriented to the outer edge of the power supply.

That is what i told them and he told me that if facing downwards cant fit in

Some guy in corsair says

" Cases with bottom mounted PSU's were designed with having the PSU fan down to draw air from outside the case. However, the space between the PSU and the floor/table is only an inch and may impede air flow. If you have the case on the floor, the PSU will act like a vaccum cleaner and suck up the dust, lint, cat hair, dog hair, dust bunnies, etc. All that being said, I mounted my PSU with the fan up.

Also, with the PSU mounted fan down, there would be some radiated heat into the case. With the PSU mounted fan up, the fan would suck that radiated heat and exhaust it out the case.

JHMO, but mount the PSU fan up or down "

Should i try again making it downwards or leave it be

Id leave it be. The fan on that unit is thermally controlled. It will not spin until you put a few hundred watts of load on there for a while.I have the Seasonic X560 with a single 580/2500k and it rarely spins up even while playing a game.

As far as 'radiated heat' thats going to be negligible. Do not worry about it.

Even in an antec 300 with 1" of space for the fan to draw air, which is plenty, I bottom mounted. You stick the straw from compressed air in the back every month and all the dust in the PSU comes out anyways.

photo-1.jpg
It is not a legitimate heat concern or dust concern. The main thing is what if you ever drop a screw in there?

:)

JM2C but leave yours how it is. I just wanted to comment.
That PC runs heavy load all day BTW and has been fine since JAN

Hi after watching so many psu reviews about point the fan downwards to the vent holes and preventing things dropping to the fan.

I took 2 hours and finally made it face downwards and found out theres a clip in the cooler master 922 chassis to lock the psu , i pressured quite hard in order to match the screw holes , is it okay to do that ?

PLEASE TAKE A LOOK OF MY PICTURES AND TELL ME something

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    796.2 KB · Views: 2,841
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    752.7 KB · Views: 2,837
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    805.8 KB · Views: 2,811
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    842.2 KB · Views: 2,840
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    760.5 KB · Views: 2,839
THE more detailed

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    927.7 KB · Views: 2,807
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    790.2 KB · Views: 2,700
No need to bump after an hour in the middle of the road night...

That said im nit sure what you want to know now. It fits. So enjoy your pc!

No need to bump after an hour in the middle of the road night...

That said im nit sure what you want to know now. It fits. So enjoy your pc!

But is it okay if the psu is tight on the vent holes that i screwed

Back