ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Review

The last ASUS board we looked at was for AMD's new Bulldozer platform, the Crosshair V Formula. It is currently their top of the line AMD board, but it isn't top of the line like an "Extreme" ASUS board. Today we're looking at the Rampage IV Extreme, and let me tell you, top of the line may not be strong enough.
    ... Return to article to continue reading.

Side note: Shamino has made a superb overclocking guide for this board, which he has conveniently uploaded here for download. Check it out!
    Last edited by hokiealumnus; 11-23-11 at 10:33 AM.

Fronting as a Mod Member
    I will be the first to say it.

Great review hokie... I have to admit; I skipped over most of the "jibber-jabber" in the middle (ie: the benchmark results that don't matter to benchers ) and just read the features sections and then the "real benchmarks" sections.

I do feel that this board is missing something though. I think it should come signed by the guy responsible for convincing the suits over at ASUS to put all them "extreme" features on it; I think this is his masterpiece and it should be signed as such.
    Daily Driver: GA-890FXA-UD5 - Ph II X6 1090T - 16GB DDR3 1333MHz - MSI R9 280X Gaming Edition/HD 5670/HD6570 - Venomous X Black + G1238B12BBZP-00 - TX850V2 - CM 690 II Advanced
    Join the "Benching Team" - We have secret sauce! - OptyTrooper: GPUs are for burning not playing games anyway
    Kona on League of Legends: This game sits about as well with me as a gallon of prune juice does, and the results are just as nasty.
    I done got Pinked...

Be sure to pre-tin everything (even soldered stuff!) with leaded solder. None of the RoHS junk. You want good old fashioned toxic heavy metals. ~ Bobnova

Water Cooled Moderator
    Overclockers.com Lead Editor
    Thanks! I'm not sure if you could convince him to sign every one, but if one person on the team would sign it for that reason, it would be signed: Shamino.

Forums Super Moderator

Hiding from Americans and making pretty colours in a drybox in St Andrews
    Nice write-up J - I really like that OC Key idea. It's one of those ideas that you think "why has no-one thought of this before!?" about.

David J. Nelson MChem(Edin) PhD(Strath) MRSC [ResearcherID: D-3927-2011]
    OC Forums Super Moderator // Overclockers.com Editor

The Workhorse: [Lenovo W510] Intel Core i7-720QM / 8 GB DDR3 / nVidia Quadro FX880M / Crucial M4 256 GB SSD / Windows 7
    The HTPC/Server: AMD Phenom X4 9650 / 6 GB DDR2 / nVidia 8300 / 5 TB of HDDs / Antec Solo II Case / Windows 7
    The Gaming Rig: AMD Llano A6-3650 / 4 GB DDR3 / nVidia GTX260 / 2x 500 GB HDD in RAID0 / Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case / Windows 7
    The Benchmarking Setup: Various LGA775 chips / Asus Rampage Formula / 2 GB OCZ 1066 MHz DDR2 / nVidia Quadro NVS 285 / 320 GB HDD / Windows 7

My research fellowship is eating all my time, so I may be slow to reply to emails and private messages.

5. Thanks!

hokiealumnus (11-23-11)

Researches Meritless
    LIES for the Front
    Page and Super Mutterator

Overclockers.com Editor
    First Responders

What an incredible board!! Excellent write up on this Hokie!

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon

7. Thanks!

hokiealumnus (11-23-11)

Benching Senior on Siesta
    Premium Member #8

Incredible detail coming from a huge amount of time spent studying the features, thanks for a what I think is your best review to date Jeremy.
    What this board brings the enthusiast is miles ahead of any other board I've seen on the market today, Asus has certainly set a high bar.

Water Cooled Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Brolloks View Post
    Incredible detail coming from a huge amount of time spent studying the features, thanks for a what I think is your best review to date Jeremy.
    What this board brings the enthusiast is miles ahead of any other board I've seen on the market today, Asus has certainly set a high bar.
    Thanks! With all the stuff on this board to go over, it certainly qualifies as my longest review to date.

Totally agree with you too, after this board the bar is mighty high.

Enjoy benchmarks? Join the benching team!
    New to water cooling? Read the Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC.
    I.M.O.G. - "Night benching is the answer. Start sleeping every other day. Other than an occassional narcoleptic episode, its been wor"
    \m/ OverClockers mATX L33T Club \m/ - Join Now! - My mITX Build

Nice job fellow reviewer

Chipset had some kinda shim on my board, seemed weird. Spacing issue perhaps.

Motherboard Reviewer at Hardware Canucks
    Team OCX Bench Team
    Always lurking the motherboard section

How does your mem bw look? Were you able to get better mem clocks than with SB?
    Team OCX Bench Team

Water Cooled Moderator
    Thanks! That's very interesting. When did you receive yours? Mine came a couple days before the Intel review package did. Perhaps they found something after that? Contact was good on my sample though. If it's systemic, at least they noticed and addressed it.

If anyone gets one of these and feels like taking the heatpipe assembly off real quick, I'm sure we'd all like to know the answer to that one.

Re: Mem bw, I haven't clocked memory on it yet. I've got all the testing data for my RipjawsZ review and the next step will be to push the memory clocks. I'll definitely report back. This one would likely do better than SB with two sticks of RAM. I've seen people running DDR3-2400 without issue. My 2600K can't do that. I don't have a quad-chan 2400 kit but could test dual for you.

I.M.O.G. - "Night benching is the answer. Start sleeping every other day. Other than an occassional narcoleptic episode, its been wor"

Water Cooled Moderator
    OH, I almost forgot. Shamino has made a superb overclocking guide for this board, which he has conveniently uploaded here for download. Check it out!

Adding that to the OP too.

Yea I used that for sub zero. Quite handy.

Gotcha on the mem. Im doing a follow up review comparing three X79 mem kits (GSkill Z, Redline, Vengeance) but it will be a forum review not an official review.
    Team OCX Bench Team

Premium Member #2

Seems somebody at Asus ROG has been by here...

https://www.facebook.com/#!/ASUSROG

Made the ROG Facebook Page!
    xXSebaSXx: "Fan reviews are easy. Spin up to full speed, stick finger into spinning blades. If blades break and finger remains the fan is no good; if the other way around happens then fan is a keeper."

Bobnova: "I went squeeeeee like a teenager with the new muave Pokemon when I saw that foam..."

I.M.O.G.: "CPU and GPU are at -10C, and there's water everywhere. Meh, windows updates are slightly less boring when done underwater."

My Heat My HWBOT

16. Thanks!

hokiealumnus (11-23-11)

Quote Originally Posted by xXSebaSXx View Post
    I do feel that this board is missing something though. I think it should come signed by the guy responsible for convincing the suits over at ASUS to put all them "extreme" features on it; I think this is his masterpiece and it should be signed as such.
    I think there would be two people, Andre Yang and Shamino.
    Great review man!