• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

asus-rive-20-300x191.jpg

The last ASUS board we looked at was for AMD's new Bulldozer platform, the Crosshair V Formula. It is currently their top of the line AMD board, but it isn't top of the line like an "Extreme" ASUS board. Today we're looking at the Rampage IV Extreme, and let me tell you, top of the line may not be strong enough.

... Return to article to continue reading.

Side note: Shamino has made a superb overclocking guide for this board, which he has conveniently uploaded here for download. Check it out!

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be the first to say it.

Great review hokie... I have to admit; I skipped over most of the "jibber-jabber" in the middle (ie: the benchmark results that don't matter to benchers :D) and just read the features sections and then the "real benchmarks" sections. :chair:

I do feel that this board is missing something though. I think it should come signed by the guy responsible for convincing the suits over at ASUS to put all them "extreme" features on it; I think this is his masterpiece and it should be signed as such. :D

Thanks! I'm not sure if you could convince him to sign every one, but if one person on the team would sign it for that reason, it would be signed: Shamino.

Nice write-up J - I really like that OC Key idea. It's one of those ideas that you think "why has no-one thought of this before!?" about.

:thup:

Incredible detail coming from a huge amount of time spent studying the features, thanks for a what I think is your best review to date Jeremy.
What this board brings the enthusiast is miles ahead of any other board I've seen on the market today, Asus has certainly set a high bar.

Incredible detail coming from a huge amount of time spent studying the features, thanks for a what I think is your best review to date Jeremy.
What this board brings the enthusiast is miles ahead of any other board I've seen on the market today, Asus has certainly set a high bar.

Thanks! With all the stuff on this board to go over, it certainly qualifies as my longest review to date.

Totally agree with you too, after this board the bar is mighty high.

Nice job fellow reviewer :)

Chipset had some kinda shim on my board, seemed weird. Spacing issue perhaps.

x79.jpg

Thanks! That's very interesting. When did you receive yours? Mine came a couple days before the Intel review package did. Perhaps they found something after that? Contact was good on my sample though. If it's systemic, at least they noticed and addressed it.

If anyone gets one of these and feels like taking the heatpipe assembly off real quick, I'm sure we'd all like to know the answer to that one.

Re: Mem bw, I haven't clocked memory on it yet. I've got all the testing data for my RipjawsZ review and the next step will be to push the memory clocks. I'll definitely report back. This one would likely do better than SB with two sticks of RAM. I've seen people running DDR3-2400 without issue. My 2600K can't do that. I don't have a quad-chan 2400 kit but could test dual for you.

Yea I used that for sub zero. Quite handy.

Gotcha on the mem. Im doing a follow up review comparing three X79 mem kits (GSkill Z, Redline, Vengeance) but it will be a forum review not an official review.

I do feel that this board is missing something though. I think it should come signed by the guy responsible for convincing the suits over at ASUS to put all them "extreme" features on it; I think this is his masterpiece and it should be signed as such. :D

I think there would be two people, Andre Yang and Shamino.
Great review man!

Back