• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pumps in serial connection or dual loop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ssjwizard, you might be remembering this thread at xtreme, where skinnee and martin both chimed in, flow is same, but local pressure is different. posts 63, 64, 65.

Ok, so after some more research and after opening my hydraulics books again i can verify that the only way to actually get the x2 head and benefit from the whole serial thing is by going the pump - pump - rest of loop route. By spliting the pumps the only thing you achieve is getting a more steady flow through the loop but the head will remain the same.

Just to clarify, and my last post on the subject.

You will get the same increase in flow with serial pumps regardless of the position of the pumps in the loop.

Interesting. Local pressure doesn't matter, really; flowrate is what we're concerned with, right? I'm trying to think if having higher pressure in the block would result in a marginal improvement, but I can't imagine it would...

In serial setup flow will be equal to the flow of 1 pump. And yes i was also thinking that more flow in the loop would result in better temps since more water would pass from the blocks faster however on pc watercooling you cant really increase the flow because the type of tubing will not allow more water to pass through. I was also looking on some tests around the net and the temp difference with the flow increased was minimal so in the end series is the way to go.

In serial setup flow will be equal to the flow of 1 pump.

If restriction is theoretically zero (never is in a loop), then yes, flow of 2 pumps in serial = flow of 1 pump, but the restriction will never be zero once you connect the pump to something.

In a very high restriction loop from martins graph, 2 serial pumps gave ~50% more flow than a single pump. In a typical restriction loop of single cpu/full cover gpu, more in range ~30% improvement with the 2nd pump.

And yes i was also thinking that more flow in the loop would result in better temps since more water would pass from the blocks faster
correct

however on pc watercooling you cant really increase the flow because the type of tubing will not allow more water to pass through.
no, you can easily increase flow. If you got that from martins graph, you were reading it wrong.

I was also looking on some tests around the net and the temp difference with the flow increased was minimal so in the end series is the way to go.
Usually ~1C in typical setup via skinnees testing 2nd/3rd graphs, unless with 1 pump you fall below .5gpm, then second pump show little more improvement, and some variability block to block.

So, to conclude here ill try to place the pumps in serial but if i cant make it due to tubing/space ill simply do a dual loop untill i grab a good top for my pumps

Back