• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 buyers remorse?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JKessell

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131791

Just picked this up yesterday with a 2500k. I was browsing another forum and people were posting what they had picked up and I got so much negative feedback and people berating me for buying this motherboard.

Do you guys see anything wrong with this motherboard? I got it because I like the amount of SATA 6gb ports, the dual 8X SLI capability and the SSD caching, and because I saved $70 off of the price of the board because I bought it with the processor.

Now I'm feeling like **** because a handful of people told me I made the wrong decision.

Don't candycoat it, did I make the wrong decision? :eh?::eh?:

Whoever told u that just don't know. You could have gotten away with a much lesser board in fact.

The board itself is a great board. You just could have gotten a lesser board and been just as happy.

What did the other people say negative about it?

That it's not an overclocking board. That it's notorious for blue screen crashing when waking from hibernate. That you should never spend more on a motherboard than a processor. That the ASRock are far superior to ASUS. It was just a myriad of things they were coming up with and I was so excited to have finally got enough money to pick up a nice intel set.

LMAO @ Asrock being far superior to ASUS.

While Asrock isn't junk by any means... Their boards DO NOT (in my opinion) stack up to an ASUS or Gigabyte board.

EDIT: Oddly enough... It wasn't long ago that Asrock was built by ASUS in fact. ;)

You got a great board at a good deal. Be happy. Ignore the haters. :)

Ill be honest with you. They are morons. The hibernate issue seems ti be a problem with pll override voltage and heavy overclocks.

You bought the 2ndone best asus board out and it is in fact a good overclocking board!

That it's not an overclocking board. That it's notorious for blue screen crashing when waking from hibernate. That you should never spend more on a motherboard than a processor. That the ASRock are far superior to ASUS. It was just a myriad of things they were coming up with and I was so excited to have finally got enough money to pick up a nice intel set.

What ED says ;)

Jeese, this thread scared me for a second... I grabbed the same board for 160$ (MicroCenter worked with me since they sold my reserved board) so I was about to shed a tear...

Whew. :D

That the ASRock are far superior to ASUS.

BWHAHAHAAHAHAH.... AHAHAHAAHAHHA.....WHAHAHAAHAHAHAH :rofl:

Thank you sir for making my day. That is by far the funniest god damn thing I've heard in a very long time. Next they'll say MSI has the best power delivery of any motherboard on the market and they are using all Japanese capacitors.

If I remember correctly the Deluxe comes built in with a 64GB SSD on the board correct? If so I fail to see why people would be up in arms about it when most good SATA III based SSDs are the same amount.

Hell look at all the people getting a stiffy over the LGA2011 ROG boards for $500

EDIT: Oddly enough... It wasn't long ago that Asrock was built by ASUS in fact. ;)

Actually they used to be the same company Pegatron; when they broke up the people who werent given a job at Asus left to go form Asrock if I remember right

Ill be honest with you. They are morons. The hibernate issue seems ti be a problem with pll override voltage and heavy overclocks.

You bought the 2ndone best asus board out and it is in fact a good overclocking board!

Amen, and to clarify its using high levels of LLC that do it. But thats an LGA1155 issue, not an Asus one. Most people who use PLL have cold boots or unusually long ones.

Jeese, this thread scared me for a second... I grabbed the same board for 160$ (MicroCenter worked with me since they sold my reserved board) so I was about to shed a tear...

Whew. :D
Ya anyone who tells you Asus is terrible needs to have their head examined. If anything you could accuse Asus for being boreing as they are the Honda/Toyota of the PC world; reliable but boreing.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the replies, I was just really disappointed that I got trashed on this other forum when I spoke up that I had picked up this board.

I should have known better than to trust the opinions of anyone else other than you guys.

<3 :D

If I remember correctly the Deluxe comes built in with a 64GB SSD on the board correct? If so I fail to see why people would be up in arms about it when most good SATA III based SSDs are the same amount.

Ummm,,, is this correct?

Ummm,,, is this correct?
No, as I understand it when I was looking ... the deluxe just has more Sata 6 ports nad comes with the 5.25 inc USB 3.0 box (which you can now purchase seperately at your local computer parts store.

Hay I almost got the same board, I wish I got the Gen 3, I got buyers remorse. But I love my piece of hardware. Something I'm learning from, not alot of problems either. Everything seems user friendly to me, although this is my first build. Got to enjoy what you have brother.

Hay I almost got the same board, I wish I got the Gen 3, I got buyers remorse. But I love my piece of hardware. Something I'm learning from, not alot of problems either. Everything seems user friendly to me, although this is my first build. Got to enjoy what you have brother.

GEN3 is useless for now. Z68 will support IvyBridge, and not even the 7970 saturates the PCIe2.1 bandwidth.

GEN3 is useless for now. Z68 will support IvyBridge, and not even the 7970 saturates the PCIe2.1 bandwidth.
Really, so I'm good then. It is a nice board for my first build. I just got up to 4.8Ghz, problably wont keep it that way but I'm running it now to play with.

Sentential said:
Amen, and to clarify its using high levels of LLC that do it. But thats an LGA1155 issue, not an Asus one. Most people who use PLL have cold boots or unusually long ones.

From my experience it has completely been regarding having PLL Override enabled or disabled as I've had my LLC on high to even maxed out settings and never had trouble waking up from sleep, but with PLLOverride enabled waking up from sleep just hangs and disabled it works. At least on my MIVE.

Really, so I'm good then. It is a nice board for my first build. I just got up to 4.8Ghz, problably wont keep it that way but I'm running it now to play with.

It's a great board, with an emphasis on data. If you need several high performance HDD's, you may need this board. However, if data was a main priority, I wouldn't be overclocking.

Do any of you know if CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B is a good choice for the P8Z68? It is not on ASUS' certified memory list.

From my experience it has completely been regarding having PLL Override enabled or disabled as I've had my LLC on high to even maxed out settings and never had trouble waking up from sleep, but with PLLOverride enabled waking up from sleep just hangs and disabled it works. At least on my MIVE.

What are PLL and LLC?

Back