• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will the Corsair H100 fit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deltafan909

3alienware_inside_full.jpg

(Not my photo. But it is very similar to my set up.)

Yeah I know... Alienware :bang head But it's what I got for X-mas last year. I want to upgrade my cooling to counteract my overclock in my sig. By the way, if I lower the vcore to +80mv instead of +100mv(what it's at now), is there a chance it won't boot? If it doesn't boot, what might happen? I'm kind of paranoid, but I want to lower my vcore to get my temps lower! :)

Last edited:
Another option I am looking into is getting another 120MM fan to put on the interior side of the radiator for a push/pull. It may also help ambient temps I believe.

Another option I am looking into is getting another 120MM fan to put on the interior side of the radiator for a push/pull. It may also help ambient temps I believe.

push pull isn't going to help that much. lowering the voltage may cause unstabiltiy but is shouldn't ruin anything. it is causing your system to not boot, just clear the cmos. my motherboard does this auto soft reset thing if it can't boot, it's pretty slick. but yeah, give it a shot.

i own an alienware desktop too and i have tried to change settings in the BIOS myself and when it doesn't boot up it just resets the bious to factory defaults... in my case that is what happens though.

regarding the fan, there is another fan right under the cd-roms. you can try to remove it and put it in the radiator... at the top there should be and connection for the CPU fan. then check your temperature with coretemp.

Last edited:
i own an alienware desktop too and i have tried to change settings in the BIOS myself and when it doesn't boot up it just resets the bious to factory defaults... in my case that is what happens though.

regarding the fan, there is another fan right under the cd-roms. you can try to remove it and put it in the radiator... at the top there should be and connection for the CPU fan. then check your temperature with coretemp.

That's the hard drive fan. When did you get yours? Late 2010? Early 2011? I purchased mine in Dec. of 2010, got in late Jan 2011.

i just got mine recently on a deal. if you look at the top pic... the HDD fan is in the center of the HDD bays. the other fan i believe is for the videocards... it blows hard... all i saying is check if lowers temps, if it does, might be worth buying another 120mm fan... plus good thermal paste.

That is the PCI fan. There is another one near it. Bottom of picture between each column of hard drive bays. The PCI fan is above the right column.

What do you think? I'm stressing out about this, lol. I keep thinking, what happens if it doesn't boot. Ahh!

What do you think? I'm stressing out about this, lol. I keep thinking, what happens if it doesn't boot. Ahh!

If it doesn't boot, just clear the cmos. but if you are this worried about it, don't change anything. did you overclock it or did it come that way? if you didn't do it, I'm going to say that its probably set at what its at for a reason. my mobo/cpu are pretty touchy. if i move voltage 1 increment up or down it's incredibly unstable, but where I have it set it's super stable. just depends on the hardware.

Eh, sort of. I got it up from 3.4GHz to 4.0GHz. I have only increased voltage to get stable. I haven't ever tried to lower it once stable in previous overclocks on this system. I'll do it and see what happens.

Eh, sort of. I got it up from 3.4GHz to 4.0GHz. I have only increased voltage to get stable. I haven't ever tried to lower it once stable in previous overclocks on this system. I'll do it and see what happens.

yeah, I'd say give it a shot, you won't hurt nothing. you will only hurt it if you give it too much voltage. I tried bringing my voltage down a little, but I lose stability. Like I said, a big part of it is what your chip does.

EDIT: ok I don't really want to start a thread for this, but how do i set my sig and pic? can't seem to find it in my profile settings. ha, I can water cool, but I can't setup a sig o.0

yeah, I'd say give it a shot, you won't hurt nothing. you will only hurt it if you give it too much voltage. I tried bringing my voltage down a little, but I lose stability. Like I said, a big part of it is what your chip does.

EDIT: ok I don't really want to start a thread for this, but how do i set my sig and pic? can't seem to find it in my profile settings. ha, I can water cool, but I can't setup a sig o.0

I did it. Hmmmm. Maybe it's not stable at 1.28v. I tested with prime95 for about 4 minutes...then "Windows Desktop Manager" or something like that failed and closed. My screen flickered black once and came back on. Out of instinct, I stopped the test even though no p95 errors came up and no BSOD. Is it not stable? I think I may go back to 3.8GHz for better temps since 1.3v gives me some high ones, and 1.28v gives me a little instability I believe. I am writing this still with +80mv.

I also had core temp, CPU-Z, Teamspeak, and was on a skype call while testing. Could that have been part of the issue?

Go to "user CP" up on top where there is the gray bar menu, on the left is "edit signature."

Back