• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TN vs IPS gaming monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

velomaxx

Registered
I'm looking for a gaming monitor but I can't decide between an IPS and a TN panel. I was wondering if you could give me some suggestions for a monitor, I'm looking to spend around $350 and I'm overwhelmed by the large selection of monitors available :comp:

TN and IPS are remarkably similar. It's very common for the differences between the two technologies to be blown completely out of proportion given that IPS is a more expensive and superior technology, but most "ordinary" people simply wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them.

In a nutshell: IPS has superior viewing angles and better colour vibrancy
TN has better response times and can have better black quality (no "IPS black glow")

The good thing about TN is that it's much cheaper when you go for larger panels, which is what I would suggest be the determining factor in making a decision. If you want a bigger panel like 27" or 28" go with TN; if you're happy with 24", then the Dell U2412M would be the obvious choice.

TN and IPS are remarkably similar.

Similar as in they both display an image on screen? You might want to clarify this statement.

I've owned all 3 panel types (tn, mva, ips) and I will never go back to tn again unless I was desparate and funds are limited.

To the OP:
If absolutely fast refresh rate was important to you then choose tn. But even cheap tn panels can end up slower than ips. If image quality is important then choose IPS. And there are IPS panels that have fast refresh rates out there.

Another factor you should consider is the input lag of the monitor no matter what the panel type.

I love the Dell Ultra sharps; I have three myself and game on all 3 in Nvidia 2D Surround. I actually have all 3 in portrait mode for a 3600x1920 picture. I like the fact that you can rotate the dell's in portrait mode, it's nice for looking at big documents and coding.

I have a TN I use for gaming, and I really do think the differences are exaggerated. IPS is definitely better, but also more expensive. I really question whether you can notice the difference on a daily basis.

ATF 2GTalon said:
Similar as in they both display an image on screen? You might want to clarify this statement.

Similar in that they are almost indistinguishable when viewed front-on. Everything looks pretty much identical to the naked eye, and the perceptible and prevailing disadvantage of TN is the poor vertical viewing angle.

I grew tired of the "TN sucks so bad" propaganda on another forum so I did a TN vs IPS comparison and took a photo with one of my $800 NEC 24" H-IPS next to a (slightly damaged) $130 Packard Bell 23" TN, setting the TN up so that it was at the same level of brightness as the IPS.

zipstncolour.jpg

Whilst no picture can substitute the real life comparison, this picture definitely reveals one crucial thing: they look the same. The only difference I can perceive between the two panels is the poor viewing angle of the TN...then again, IPS suffers from "black glow" so it's not all hunky-dory either. (Top left corner of the IPS looks gray but it's actually black on screen).

I've owned all 3 panel types (tn, mva, ips) and I will never go back to tn again unless I was desparate and funds are limited.

I currently own a variety of panel types (including an uber expensive S-PVA 40" HDTV) and I use a calibrated 30" S-IPS monitor for work every day. My knowledge and experience with the various flavours of LCD monitors makes me all the more amused when people harp on about the "vast" superiority of IPS over TN - it's overhyped. Period.

Last edited:
Back