• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sabertooth VS. crosshair 5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rustyfender

so im looking at finally retiring and wall mounting my am2+ phenom 940be and asus m3a79-t delux and going am3+ and for now im gonna throw a phenom 1090

and i cant decide whether i should go with the sabertooth
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131736
or the crosshair v
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131735

now im gonna want something stable and reliable cause i use this for work doing CAD and 3d building design. but on the same note i keep the gpu and cpu on water and i want to be able to push this thing and overclock when im not working. so my main question is

will the sabertooth be able to overclock as well as the crosshair. or well enough for someone who has moderate overclocking experiance (id like to get to around 5.4ghz)

like ive said im still sporting this trusty 940BE which i was runing stable 24/7 at 5.5GHZ (did that for 3 years straight) until recently. though any more and its barly posts lol. but its starting to show its age and im having to decrease the clock about 200mhz a month to stay stable. could be mobo.

and for the record AMD FTW (except the 1st gen bulldozers)

Either board will do ...... Personally I would recomend the Crosshair V. Love the board

Both boards are very good - just completed a new rig build using the sabertooth board, but it'll be the crosshair that I'm about to order for my own rig. I had to do a BIOS update for the sabertooth, as he's running a bulldozer (not supported with the BIOS they ship with), and in my opinion the ROG connect feature that allows you to update the BIOS on the crosshair without even having a processor installed is worth the extra money alone.

Get the Sabertooth. My first Crosshair V was DOA, my second one died in two weeks.

My Sabertooth worked fine.

see thats the thing though i love mucking around in the bios so labour saving things like rog connect are kinda meh for me and i have noticed alot of people complaining about DOA with the croshair. but that still leaves us at 2 votes for the crosshair and one to the sabertooth. i do kindof like the idea of the motherbord having hookups for thermocouples thta would allow me to run an inline temp sensor in my water loops.

If you haven't decided yet, I love my Sabertooth, and it took my BD out of the box.
I like the thermal radar feature of it. it has temp sensors laid out on the entire mobo to give temp reading of various items. ex RAM, PCIE, MOBO, vcore 1 and vcore 2.
Im very happy with my decision to go with it.

Get the Sabertooth. My first Crosshair V was DOA, my second one died in two weeks.

My Sabertooth worked fine.

I went through 2 CHV. The first one was flakey. Something wasn't right about the second one either. I ran the first one with an 1100T and the second with an Athlon X2 (to bios flash) then an 8120P. The level of flake I saw, especially with the Thuban, which is such an established CPU, and the Athlon... really... makes me wonder.

I used a set of RAM I know is good 8GB 4x2 from long use in my SB system, set it loose *it is cas 8 and I set it to 9 9 9 28 and ran the 1100T stock everything. Even still... the system would randomly crash into a blue screen every 30-50 minutes. That is not good.

On the second board, on both the Athlon and 8120, the voltage danced around like an angry grasshopper. Surely it would have killed a CPU in it for any length of time. It would spike (I swear) from about 1.45 to 1.6 and back again under load regardless of LLC. These are just my experiences with the CHV and not necessarily reflective of the quality of the product but I do not recommend it.

ROG products are usually solid but I can't say I'd recommend the CHV. I'd stay away from it, actually. I'd stay pretty darn far.. Maybe even use a different brand entirely for AM3+ but that is just my feeling. I have no cause or reason to believe the Sabretooth is not solid. So my straight answer to your Q is Sabretooth.

thanks guys. im pretty sure im gonna go with the sabertooth. havnt rlly heard anything bad about it but ive heard more people haveing problems with the crosshair V than didn't. also the 5 year warantee is always nice.

CHV is more popular thats why you hear more bad things about it.
AMD platform is "cheaper" way for most users so all are getting cheap boards or go for the best overclocking one. So far best overclocking board for Bulldozer series is CHV. There are always problems with ASUS boards no matter if it's cheap or not so I wouldn't expect that Sabertooth is problem free. For sure it's cheaper and for 24/7 it won't make bigger difference if it's ROG or not.

thats pretty sound advice. i think i will go with the crosshair cause for now im just putting in a 960T im waiting for the vishera buldozers (or are those the piledrivers) either way they will still be the am3+ chipset but i need something for second ssemester so the 960T will tide me over. which means i can get the nicer mobo and when im making money this summer i can buy the vishera

I got CHV after my Gigabyte UD5 died. So far it's working fine but I can't find way to set cache for RAID ...

Which ever one you buy post up. I am planning this purchase with my tax return and with the way things are at work and my WoW addiction i really do not have time to do extreme over clocking so i have been looking at the ST more and more but the CHV has always been my first choice. If you go with the ST tell us how it is, you might be that push i need to get a ST for a stability rather than the CHV with all the bells and whistles.

Back