Crucial 256GB M4 Review

With prices falling, SSDs are rapidly becoming mainstream and are included in a vast number of new builds. The Crucial RealSSD M4 series of SSDs are the newest drives from Crucial, available in 64 GB, 128 GB, 256 GB and 512 GB models. Crucial have kindly supplied a 256 GB unit for review, along with a data transfer kit.

... Return to article to continue reading.
    Last edited by hokiealumnus; 11-28-11 at 04:08 PM.

Benching Team Leader
    Grabbed Senior
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Nice review, David.

I don't think I saw it mentioned, but I believe that the [write] performance gains from the Sandforce 22** series really show up when using compressible data vs non-compressible, and with non-compressible they are about the same. Do you know if/which of the different benchmarks use which type of data?
    Haswell Benching and Gaming: ASRock Z87 OC Formula : Intel i7 4770k w/ Phanteks PH-TC14 : 8GB 2x4GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2666 : MSI, XFX, and Sapphire R9 290X
    Other Components: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB SSD : 2TB Hitachi : Silverstone Strider Gold 1250W and Seasonic Platinum 1000W : Auria EQ276W 2560x1440

Folding User Stats

Heatware Profile
    Any word of long-term reliability? Only reason I didnt buy an SF drive is how poorly my agility II did and since returned. In spite of the obvious performance benefits I went with a pair of intel drives instead.

10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    Got to ask is the transfer cable that comes with it now just USB 2.0 or USB 3.0?

It does come in handy if you need a fast portable drive (SSD that is) to carry around if it comes with a USB 3.0 interface. I know the one I got sadly was just a USB 2.0 interface a while back with my 128Gig drive. Still nice for those situations where you need an adaptor though wish it was of the faster type that is out there.
    -=The Gamer=-
    MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz | 1.3875V | 28C Idle / 65C Load (LinX)
    8Gig G.Skill Ripjaw PC3-12800 9-9-9-24 @ 1600Mhz w/ 1.5V | TR Ultra eXtreme 120 w/ 2 Fans
    Asus DCUII R9 290 1075/1300 w/ 1.05V GPU | 36C Idle / 75C Load | 128/256GB Crucial M4 SSD's / 512GB Samsung 840 Pro
    BitFenix Shinobi Window Case | SilverStone DA750 | Dell 2405FPW 24" Screen | Oculus Rift DK2 - Incoming October 2014
    -=The Server=-
    Synology DS1511+ | Dual Core 1.8Ghz CPU | 30C Idle / 38C Load
    3 Gig PC2-6400 | 4x Samsung F4 2TB Raid5 | 1x Samsung F4 2TB
    Heat

Nice review, but something looks wrong on the 4K Iometer graph

David,

Nice summary on the M4. Great work translating all the test runs to the visual graphs for comparison. It makes looking at your two separate reviews easier to compare.

Do you have an error in your final graph that shows the results for the Iometer 4K runs? It says sequential reads and writes, but I think the 4K tests are random. Therefore I assume the graph shows the random reads are significantly lower for the M4 compared to the OCZ Vertex 3. Am I somehow reading that wrong?

Forums Super Moderator
    Overclockers.com Lead Editor

10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile
    Thanks for the comments guys . Just a quick reply for now as I'm on a phone.
    I'll check which benchmarks use compressable data - I suspect those where the Vertex is clearly better.
    I think the cable is usb2 unfortunately, but I'll check when i get home. My desktop has USB 3.
    Not sure about reliability from first hand experience - only had it a few weeks. I've heard no complaints thus far, lookking on the web.

The graph axis has a mistake - it's 4k random. I'll fix it tonight or tomorrow .

Cheers,
    D
    David J. Nelson MChem(Edin) PhD(Strath) MRSC [ResearcherID: D-3927-2011] [Google Scholar]
    OC Forums Super Moderator // Overclockers.com Editor

The Workhorse: [Lenovo W510] Intel Core i7-720QM / 8 GB DDR3 / nVidia Quadro FX880M / Crucial M4 256 GB SSD / Windows 7
    The Home Machine: AMD Llano A6-3650 APU / 8 GB DDR3 / Lots of HDDs / Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case / Windows 7
    The Benchmarking Setup: Various LGA775 chips / Asus Rampage Formula / 2 GB OCZ 1066 MHz DDR2 / nVidia Quadro NVS 285 / 320 GB HDD / Windows 7 [ Untouched for well over a year ]

My research fellowship is eating all my time, so I may be slow to reply to emails and private messages.

Vacationing to find my sanity Mutterator
    Overclockers.com Editor
    First Responders

Excellent review David!

Im not sure off the top of my head but my V3 240GB review does mention which is which I believe.

"We have more information and more ways of accessing it than ever, yet seem increasingly less inclined to do so."- Michael Wilbon

10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    Very nice review David. I take it that the OCZ Veritex has the Indilix controller? Which is faster?
    I.M.O.G. "It's a plugin issue," ...

Asus P8P67 Pro
    4g Corsair Dominator 667
    6970 Crossfire
    1t Hitachi
    Win 7

Benching Team Leader
    Grabbed Senior
    I believe only the new OCZ (Octane) drives have the Indilix controller
    Haswell Benching and Gaming: ASRock Z87 OC Formula : Intel i7 4770k w/ Phanteks PH-TC14 : 8GB 2x4GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2666 : MSI, XFX, and Sapphire R9 290X
    Other Components: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB SSD : 2TB Hitachi : Silverstone Strider Gold 1250W and Seasonic Platinum 1000W : Auria EQ276W 2560x1440

Folding User Stats

Heatware Profile
    Vertex 3, Vertex 3 Max IOPS, and Agility 3 are all sandforce 2281 with the difference between them being the type of NAND used. They use sync, toggle, and async in the order previously mentioned.

The new octane used the first new indilix controller to see retail in something like three years.

Quote Originally Posted by Sentential View Post
    Any word of long-term reliability? Only reason I didnt buy an SF drive is how poorly my agility II did and since returned. In spite of the obvious performance benefits I went with a pair of intel drives instead.
    Many buy the M4 specifically due to its reliability vs the faster sandforce 2281 drives that have a few issues.

10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    Excellent and useful information in the featured article and this thread. Thanks guys.
    I.M.O.G. "It's a plugin issue," ...

Asus P8P67 Pro
    4g Corsair Dominator 667
    6970 Crossfire
    1t Hitachi
    Win 7

Computational Oncologist / Biomathematician / Moderator on Vacation, Ph.D.
    10 Year Badge
    Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Very nice review, David! Looks like a very solid offering! Thanks for bringing up the point that different sizes will get different performances due to number of chips. As I recall, for fixed drive sizes, performance can go down between generations due to the decreased number of chips.

Reliability concerns have also sent me to an Intel 320 (120gb), like Sentential. Thanks for the extra info, BossBorot!
    My heatware (macklin01)

Need image I/O for your science apps? Try EasyBMP

My biomedical research: Mathematical Cancer Modeling & Simulation

I'm on vacation as a moderator as I devote more time to my faculty position.
    Thank you for your understanding if I don't respond to your PM. -- Paul

Heatware Profile
    Lookin' good.

One minor concern, the Crucial M4 is just that - Crucial M4. The RealSSD brand was for the C300 drives
    HTPC - 2500k - 212+ - GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 - 2x4GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 - Crucial MX100 512GB, Spinpoint F3 1TB w/M4 64GB ISRT Cache
    MSI GTX 970 4GB - Silverstone LC10B-E - Corsair RM550

-----
    Main - X3 450 - ASRock A790GMH/128M 790GX - 2x2GB G.Skill 4-4-4-12 - Crucial MX100 256GB, 2xWD Green 1TB
    Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB - Silverstone TJ08 - Corsair CX400W

Nothin' up my sleeve..

10 Year Badge
    Fixed the article title some time ago, the title of the comments never got fixed - good catch however.
    The OC Forums Way
    We are a team. We are a community. We are a fellowship made strong by mutual respect and shared dedication to the task of enriching all who come here.
    The OC Forums Thank You Thread
    Put your computer to work for our OC Forum Teams!
    Try out our POST TEMPLATES, they save you time answering common questions!

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.