• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maze2 or MCW462-U

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wicked Klown

Hard *** Southern Boy Senior
I've been looking at different waterblocks and was wondering. Which is better the Maze2 or the MCW462-U. Also how do you hook up the MCW462-U after all it doesn't have any barbs. Also can you use it with a GF3 block from Dangerden. Also does the Swiftech Radiator have swivle elbows or stationary elbows.

Last edited:
The Swiftech radiator looks like it has swivel nipples on it. The counter-sunk connectors are pressure fittings that use a self-capturing mechanism to hold the hose in, sealing it with an O-ring. If you want to use 3/8" or 1/2" ID tubing, look somewhere else for now until they get their heads on straight.

I am leary of the swiftech fittings. They work, but they would worry me long term because of past, vast experience with that fitting. I ordered a Maze2 about 1/2hour ago. They are both good. It just depends on what you want.

I just finished gathering data points on the Maze-2 and am prepping the MCW-462u for the next contestant in my shootout article that should be done by next weekend. Just to give you a taste, using the Maze-2, with an Athlon XP1600, The last test step I was running 12x150 (1.8Ghz) @ 1.9V (96Watts) at 39C under Prime95 Torture. Try that with air.

Hoot

Thanks alot guys for the info. The tube I'll be using is 1/2"O.D. and 3/8"I.D. So I guess the Swifty is out of the game for me.

Hoot... How much room temp???

I am doing with cpustab... and my setup below... 93.8W max temp 34.6C with 24C ambient!!!

and with 28.3C ambient i am doing 38.4C

Right now with seti and an ambient of 22.2 i am doing 31.9C

This is the MCW462 old block

Got the Swifty installed late last night after a few hitches. Even before it has had time to settle the thermal grease and burp out all the leftover air, it is kicking the Maze-2s butt. Running 12x150 @ 1.9v (96watts), Core temp is 35C vs 39C with the Maze-2.

Hoot

Told ya!!!!!!

I liked the swifty!!! IM HAPPY!!!

Give me the room temp please... so I can check if it is better than mine..

My highest ºC/W is 0.12

Thanks

Thanks for the updates Hoot! I've been looking forward to this little Hootout, I mean shootout for awhile. :D I heard through another forum that Swiftech is thinking of doing a 1/2" setup for their blocks. Can't wait for that.
What's the finish date for this test Hoot ???

The temperatures are measured with the Athlon XP internal thermal diode. The in-socket thermistor in both cases read about 3-5C lower, so if you are using that to evaluate performane, you will get better c/w results than this test. In both cases, air temp on the floor, where the tower sits was 19C.

It takes a full 24 hours per block because you need to let it settle down into the thermal grease and to burp out as much air as possible that is introduced as a result of switching out the blocks. Hopefully, when I get home from work, either the Z4 or the Gemini Blocks will have arrived and I can start another new block tonight. I hope to have it all done, written up and submitted by Saturday.

Hoot

Yeap... I understand that..

How can I use the internal thermal diode of my XP2000+?

I have a KG7-Raid. I dont think it uses such technology to measure temps... I will check if I can put a thermister on the side of the CPU(touching it)

The other thing is that I do not use my case fan at full power cause it does make the temp go lower by 1C to 2C. So I thought that it had an effect on my temps and it wouldn't be accurate...

Maybe it does help the temp of the processor by removing the hot air from the capacitors and the hot air from in between of the block and the CPU.

Thanks anyways!!!

i am very surprised at the swiftec. it proves that tubulance has a greater effect on watercooling thne flow rate or surface area. which is good because my new block design is a cross between the swiftec and koolance block.

Back