• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem Switching from 4gb to 8gb ram G. Skill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fifedogg

Registered
I'm running an AMD 1055T w/ 880GM-E43 and have had it @ 3.5ghz for the past year without touching the voltages. I have been running G. Skill Ripjaw series 1600 ram @ 4gb. Only thing I have done different is replaced the 2 x 2gb sticks and replaced them with 2 x 4gb sticks and my PC is no longer stable even though its the same ram. It doesnt give you a BSOD it just simply restarts.

I've tested the ram with memtest without any problems. All I had to do is switch the ram back to 4 gigs and its now stable again. Any Ideas?

Memtest86+ passes all of the tests w/ the 2 x 4GB modules installed in a dual-channel config.? How long did you let it run for, and have you tried bumping either the CPU-NB voltage, NB voltage and / or the CPU-NB VDD voltage?

Memtest86+ passes all of the tests w/ the 2 x 4GB modules installed in a dual-channel config.? How long did you let it run for, and have you tried bumping either the CPU-NB voltage, NB voltage and / or the CPU-NB VDD voltage?

I've ran my setup with the 4 gigs for over a year. As soon as I put the 8 gigs in my setup is no longer stable. This is leaving all the voltages on auto. my rig runs 3.5ghz stable on everything auto while using the 2x2gb sticks. If I use the 2x4gb sticks it immediatly becomes unstable. Same brand same model ram just 4 more GB...

I've ran my setup with the 4 gigs for over a year. As soon as I put the 8 gigs in my setup is no longer stable. This is leaving all the voltages on auto. my rig runs 3.5ghz stable on everything auto while using the 2x2gb sticks. If I use the 2x4gb sticks it immediatly becomes unstable. Same brand same model ram just 4 more GB...

Check to see if your bios is giving them the right amount of power. When I went up to DDR3 ram my bios was undervolting them by a lot and causing my system to freeze all the time untill I finally realized what the problem was.

please manually adjust the voltage setting as the memory SPEC, should be 1.5v(not sure the model of your RAM), also update the latest version of BIOS.

Certainly not trying to take over your thread, but I'm experiencing the same exact issue (although slightly different as I currently have my voltages adjusted for an i5-760 OC to 4.2ghz).

I had 2 sticks of gskill RAM totally 4gb. Had them overclocked to 1600 and running stable for nearly a year.

Threw in the same brand (and timing specs) to upgrade to 8gb (2x4) and my box won't even post. Running an EVGA board, I get a watchdog timeout and I can either enter the BIOS or reset and boot default settings. Runs stable with the whole system at stock voltages and speeds.

I've tried several different votages from 1.5v up (all the way to 1.7) but can't get a post no matter what ;(

Funny it would boot stable with the OC on the 4gb setup, but won't even post with 8gb ;(

any thoughts?

Funny it would boot stable with the OC on the 4gb setup, but won't even post with 8gb ;(
Stock speeds is all they're guaranteed to run at, sadly. What likely happened is that G.Skill used a different IC in the 8GB modules (or switched to a new IC after you bought the 4GB set) that doesn't overclock as well as the chips in your first set. Unfortunate, but not at all uncommon.

Back