• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What new toys did you get today?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wut? That 3930k was made in Costa Rica? Not China? Wow, I have to remind myself to look at what my Xeon E5620s say on them =P

Intel infact does have a fab in China but they dont make anything you or I want to buy. Basically according UN technology rules you cant sell products above a certain level in some countries, China is one of them. They essentially make P4 era parts over there, mostly stuff thats used in embedded systems and machinery.

Looks fun, glad to see some providers getting onboard the DIY DVR movement.

Don't think Intel fabs anything in China.

Wow, very interesting.

Intel infact does have a fab in China but they dont make anything you or I want to buy. Basically according UN technology rules you cant sell products above a certain level in some countries, China is one of them. They essentially make P4 era parts over there, mostly stuff thats used in embedded systems and machinery.

Also cool, I have some laws to wikipedia now. That is so weird, UN technology rules say that? I would imagine US laws would say that, heh. The more you know.

February 2011: Intel will build a new microprocessor factory at Chandler, Arizona, which is expected to be completed in 2013, at a cost of $5 billion. It will accommodate 4,000 employees. The company produces three-quarters of their products in the United States, although three-quarters of their revenue comes from overseas
Wow, 3/4? Intel is a more respectible company than once thought !

You need to do some drive benches with those red series drives and post the performance pls :D

I'll see if I have some time to run ATTO with them, they are just connected to 4 of the 6 available ports on the MVG (2 SATA2 and 2 SATA3) they are setup in a RAID5 with 64kb cluster (stripe size?) and 64kb allocation in Windows

I'll see if I have some time to run ATTO with them, they are just connected to 4 of the 6 available ports on the MVG (2 SATA2 and 2 SATA3) they are setup in a RAID5 with 64kb cluster (stripe size?) and 64kb allocation in Windows

I think I was limited by the SATA2 bottleneck (as two drives are on SATA2 and 2 on SATA3)

Here's ATTO results (with default settings). If anyone has any advice I'm all ears (would prefer to change things now before I start copying data to it, as right now the volume is essentially empty)

RedsRaid5.JPG

Just ordered my Xeon E5620s from Superbiiz for a steal, $708.

TAKE THAT, AMAZON & NEWEGG.

Pictures will follow. Hope they'll be okay coming on UPS ground.

I think I was limited by the SATA2 bottleneck (as two drives are on SATA2 and 2 on SATA3)

Here's ATTO results (with default settings). If anyone has any advice I'm all ears (would prefer to change things now before I start copying data to it, as right now the volume is essentially empty)

View attachment 120238

Interesting these must be sata6 drives, the read performance is certainly impressive the write performance in places not so much. If i remember correctly these are aimed at NAS devices which mostly frequent reads not writes quite so much since the software layer buffers writes to a large degree.

To give you a comparison heres a sata3 Re4 1tb drive at the default bench

attio_stock-re4.JPG

and at depth of 10 for the queue level

attio_stock-re4_d10.JPG

RAID5 won't be much faster in writes. It's generally worst option for almost everything except storage. For HDD it doesn't make any difference if it's SATA2 or SATA3. Max bandwidth is always for single port and SATA2 transfers are up to 280MB/s what is impossible to reach for single HDD.
In theory max bandwidth on these drives will be somewhere near 500MB/s but in RAID5 you won't make it much better than 300MB/s as all data is spread on 4 drives.
If you don't care much about transfers then RAID5 will save you some space but I would set RAID10 just because it's much faster and it's much easier to recover data in case of for example board fail.

Going back to main thread, yesterday I got 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix 1600 C8 1.35V kit, not really white box, more like white envelope ;). Also on the way is 2x2GB 2000 C8 HyperX , Elpida Hyper based that I won on one local auction for all $40 shipped ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back