• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What new toys did you get today?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A picture is worth a thousand words. Custom-made fans for Dazmode.com...

20130103200535.jpg

20130103200651.jpg

they released those 2150's a few weeks ago iirc alot of places carry them.

Yeah, Nidec Servo has been making those 2150RPM Gentle Typhoons since 2008... They were only available for retail in Japan for a long time, or you could buy them in bulk directly from Nidec Servo.

I'd definitely like a few of them to compare to my AP-15 fans.

Yeah, Nidec Servo has been making those 2150RPM Gentle Typhoons since 2008... They were only available for retail in Japan for a long time, or you could buy them in bulk directly from Nidec Servo.

I'd definitely like a few of them to compare to my AP-15 fans.

If you use a fan controller to limit RPM, they're basically as loud as the AP15s at the same RPM. The advantage of the extra 300 RPM is a lot more airflow. The airflow is not geometrically linear based on RPM, but tends to rather rise sharply with extra RPM. I think that the 3000+ RPM versions of these fans must be quite ensane.

I actually also bought a Swiftech Helix-120, Corsair SP120, and a Gelid Wing 12 PL to compare. So far the Helix-120 has the worst airflow (all tests done through a standard Swiftech 2x120 single-thick rad), followed by the AP-15, then the Corsair SP120 does a little better, and finally the AP-45 just annihilates everything. My existing Aerocool Shark fans are so bad that at the exhaust, putting a strip of paper over the airflow, thinking it would be blown away it's actually not - the middle part of the fan actually sucks air back in and pulls the entire strip closer to the fan. That's how bad normal fans are at dealing with rad resitance. The Swiftech, Corsair nor Typhoons exhibit this phenomenon. I'll be sure to demonstrate once I make the video.

The decibel measurements are complete horsesh*t on all the fans because everyone measures them differently and unless you have a NASA lab, you're not measuring anything less than 30 decibels. ALL FANS MAKE SOME NOISE. As for how everything stacks up - the Swiftech Helix-120 is the quietest and is significantly quieter than the AP-15. If you're looking for a super-ultra-silent system that is water-cooled, these fans are worth checking out. Next up is the AP-15s. They're barely audible at full speed and push a crazy amount of air - more air actually than some fans rated at 20 cfm more. The AP-45s obviously make more noise, but the structure and bearings seem identical. I think the only difference is the amount of times the coil is wound on the inside of the stator. More coils = more RPM? I'm not an electrical engineer so I can't tell you. Finally, we get to the Corsair SP120. These fans are THE LOUDEST fans that I own. I accidentally ordered a box of two. THE RUBBER MOUNTS DO NOTHING. The vibration from the bearing and the horribly imbalanced blades themselves seem to require the dampening. They spin 200 RPM higher than the AP-45s, push noticably less air through a basic radiator and are about TWO TIMES LOUDER than the AP-45s.

To top it off, the SP120s are a circular design instead of a square. When you have fans next to each other, the square frame seals the space in-between the fans preventing pressurized air from escaping. No so with the SP120. Those tiny little gaps that form in-between fans bleet out A LOT of air - enough to be measured by a piece of paper about 10-15 cm away. I'd have to seal them with tape or something

The summary of my "I'm bored so I'm giving a sneak-peek of my review":

Airflow (lowest to highest, rank of zero means really bad airflow):
0. Aerocool Shark 1500 RPM (they claim 82.6 CFM @ 1500 RPM ... LOL!!!)
1. Swiftech Helix-120
2. Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM "...AP-15" (much-loved by overclockers everywhere)
3. Corsair SP120 (perhaps no more than 5% over the AP-15s)
4. Scythe Gentle Typhoon 2150 RPM "...AP-45" (the feel against my hand and my little strip of "measuring" paper tell me about 40-50% more airflow over the AP-15)

Noise (lowest to highest, compared when mounted to a radiator):
1. Swiftech Helix-120
2. Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM "...AP-15"
3. Scythe Gentle Typhoon 2150 RPM "...AP-45" (only perhaps 5-10% more noise over the AP-15)
4. Aerocool Shark 1500 RPM
5. Corsair SP120

Last edited:
You might have read about Scythe USA closing, but that's the only thing that comes to mind.

8600gt + pulled a (circa 1997-98) case out of the closet to bench an i2500k inside it :D

Attachments

• systemi5lol2.jpg
    systemi5lol2.jpg
    466.4 KB · Views: 65
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back